Let's talk about cornbread

When I was really young my great grandmother always cooked straight up homemade cornbread (what was really good is the next morning she would deep fry it to go with breakfast). Since my teens I have had jiffy cornbread. I am not picky as long as I have cornbread to eat I will be happy!

I must say that homemade (unsweetened) cornbread is the best way to go with dressing. Also the best cornbread I have eaten probably was smoked jalapeno cornbread at Fox Bros. in Atlanta.

I grew up eating the same type of non-sweet cornbread in a cast iron skillet. Good stuff. Could be dry from time to time. My wife likes Jiffy. Honestly I do too. We eat cornbread so seldom it is basically all we eat. When we do at least. I don't turn down any kind of cornbread to be honest. It is all good.

Kind of in the same vain, hush puppies are a total guilty pleasure of mine. Don't eat them often but I do enjoy them. I am weird in that I much prefer the frozen ones than homemade (tend to always be dry).

I am truly shocked at all of the Jiffy fans on here. Sweet cornbread was a huge non-no when I was growing up.

And for Cat797, I pray for your soul... cake mix??? To each their own.

I have a cornbread recipe of my own creation, but this buttermilk soak-method has me rethinking it all. I am going to experiment some more and I will post my "new" recipe when It is done.

I am really impressed with all the Jiffy fans on here. For me its 2 boxes of Jiffy with 1 can of cream corn. All goes in the cast iron pan.

My wife makes the best cornbread. She makes it in a cast iron skillet and her secret is Creamed corn in the mix!

I use a lot of Jiffy Mix. With some Cheddar Cheese and Jalapenos or Serranos and some onion with the creamed corn, you can almost call it a meal for me!

With some Chilli spiced ground beef and Velveeta, you really do have an 'all in one' meal!

Oddly enough this morning I was searching for recipes for (believe it or not) Sourdough Cornbread! Surprise, surprise. :crazy:

And oddly, they do exist. The one thing that struck me about the recipe I was reviewing is the mix, which includes milk with the starter, cornmeal, flour, etc. Is left out on the counter, covered for 8 to 24 hours. I'm still leery about leaving anything with dairy in it unrefrigerated for that length of time.

But ya never know, I might try it. :rolleyes:

Here's a few hard a fast cornbread rules boys:
1) Not all cornbread is made in CI but all good cornbread is
2) A preheated skillet is a must to get the right "crunch" on the bottom
3) Sugar is a no-go
4) Jiffy sucks
5) Buttermilk makes it better
6) Cornbread and sweet milk in a glass watching TV = heaven
7) Still trying to make it as good as Mom's
... And that's all I have to say about that.

A box of Jiffy is $0.49 at Walmart. You can't beat that.

Corn pudding:
Box of Jiffy
1 egg
Stick of butter
Cup of sour cream
Can of creamed corn
Can of sweet corn, drained

Bake in an 8 inch at 350 for 45 minutes.

I used to make my own..until I tried cornbread at a House of Blues.

They sell it as a bag mix that you can order online or buy at a HOB store.

Make it in a hot, buttered, sugared on the bottom cast iron pan.

A box of Jiffy is $0.49 at Walmart. You can't beat that.

Corn pudding:
Box of Jiffy
1 egg
Stick of butter
Cup of sour cream
Can of creamed corn
Can of sweet corn, drained

Bake in an 8 inch at 350 for 45 minutes.

Man! A whole stick of butter for ONE box of cornbread mix? I guess you wouldn’t need to grease the pan.

I only make cornbread once or twice a year, if that. It’s good with cheddar cheese or jalapeños or onions, any combinations. Or just plain nekkid.

But a cast iron skillet is a must for good cornbread.

I'm still leery about leaving anything with dairy in it unrefrigerated for that length of time.
:

I've been making sourdough waffles a lot in lockdown. Buttermilk, flour and starter left on the counter overnight.

I was concerned as well, but did a bit of research to learn more. Basically the yeast and bacteria in the starter are so well established that there is no chance for anything else to grow. I even read a recipe that had a 72 hour room temp proof. Microbioligy is pretty cool stuff.

Was a Jiffy guy growing up. My Iowa farm girl wife introduced me to scalloped corn. Just going from memory, but it has a box of Jiffy, can of creamed corn, can of regular corn, sour cream, probably eggs, maybe some liquid. It's definitely not cornbread, but it is pretty good.

Never heard of the soaking method. Sugar is

NOT allowed in cornbread in the Breath household. Bacon grease is melted in the oven in the cast iron while other ingredients are mixed, gives that crispy outside and adds flavor. Buttermilk is preferred but we do keep the powdered version of it when we don't have the liquid and add it to regular milk for the flavor.

I use a lot of Jiffy Mix. With some Cheddar Cheese and Jalapenos or Serranos and some onion with the creamed corn, you can almost call it a meal for me!

With some Chilli spiced ground beef and Velveeta, you really do have an 'all in one' meal!
Haha, I said that the other night, we had ribs, potato salad and macaroni salad with corn bread and I said to my wife, I would be just fine with the cornbread and macaroni salad alone. There is a place here that makes potato and macaroni salad that is the best in the world. They are only open in the summer, but man it is as good now as it was 40 years ago.

I will add that if you like cheese in your cornbread, Pepper Jack if for you. My wife makes allot Hor’dovers and she uses Pepper Jack cheese in quite a few things she makes. We have found that NY Pepper Jack (Land O Lakes) is the best. It melts the best and IMO taste better than the others. I get it at a wholesale distributor here and I buy the whole block. It is like $20 bucks.

A couple people have posted what is the basic tried and true jiffy corn casserole recipe, but it should only have 1/2 stick of butter.

Back to the cornbread, heating your oily skillet to get that crisp crust is the way I do it. I use peanut oil. Gives it a nutty crunchy flavor on the bottom.

I think I am going to use bacon grease next time.

I am a sweet skillet corn bread kinda guy. No add-ons ie bacon, jalapeno,cheese,creamed corn etc...when you add a bunch of stuff..I still like it...but now its more of a cornbread casserole. Just my opinion.

I will add that if you like cheese in your cornbread, Pepper Jack if for you.
I love that idea! I was planning on making cornbread this weekend to go with some chili - I'm going to have to see if this works with my recipe.

Back