THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
So there are many videos out there with Aaron Franklin saying he just uses salt and pepper... but his former pitmaster tells it differently. Maybe Aaron changed up his style in 2012 when John Lewis left?

Not sure how he would use the pickle juice. Maybe as a spritz?

John Lewis: I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.

Daniel Vaughn: What do you use for seasoning at La Barbecue?

John Lewis: Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice.

Source: http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/interview-john-lewis-of-la-barbecue/

I've seen / heard that too.

I've mixed pickle juice / mustard and tried using it for a binder... Seemed too wet and don't recall it making a huge difference.

I might try brining in pickle juice for a while someday and then adding rub....Anyone ever done this??

I figured anything used as a binder would disappear in the 12 hour smoke. I don't even taste the mustard when I tried it on ribs on a 5 hour job. Would hate to spritz with pickle juice and it ruining $20 of meat and 12 hours of work.

I've seen / heard that too.

I've mixed pickle juice / mustard and tried using it for a binder... Seemed too wet and don't recall it making a huge difference.

I might try brining in pickle juice for a while someday and then adding rub....Anyone ever done this??

Im pretty sure its for the slather. Ok im positive it is. You see brisket is my spirit animal. I've studied the cut as much as anybody (well as much as a man not being paid would reasonably do)

Adam perry lang uses the same slather combo. He and Franklin pal about.

I think these celebrity pitmasters all get together afterward and laugh about what they tell the public they season their briskets with. What they say may be true sometimes, but most of the time, they're protecting themselves and having some fun, sort of like watching Aaron's videos. I've eaten at Aaron's and it is not just salt and pepper as he has in his video. My thought was a Worcerstershire spritz. I think the funkmaster suggested the same. I've also had LA BBQ and would rank that right up with Aaron's. Their seasoning is closer to a pure salt and pepper. I was a bit surprised Lawry's was mentioned.

Im pretty sure its for the slather. Ok im positive it is. You see brisket is my spirit animal. I've studied the cut as much as anybody (well as much as a man not being paid would reasonably do)

Adam perry lang uses the same slather combo. He and Franklin pal about.

I wasn't doubting it as the slather... That's what I tried.
Guess I'll give another attempt.

Thanks though

What Gore said... Those guys are not going to tell you what they do or don't do, they are going to dance around the edges...

I'm not convinced that the secret isn't as much as a long hold time as it is the seasoning....

Last time I went to Lewis BBQ in Charleston my 14 year old daughter complained i didn't get enough brisket - she was right! Maybe i'll give the rub mentioned a try next time I do a brisket, cause i've only ever used salt and pepper, sometimes a bit of garlic.

I think these celebrity pitmasters all get together afterward and laugh about what they tell the public they season their briskets with. What they say may be true sometimes, but most of the time, they're protecting themselves and having some fun, sort of like watching Aaron's videos. I've eaten at Aaron's and it is not just salt and pepper as he has in his video. My thought was a Worcerstershire spritz. I think the funkmaster suggested the same. I've also had LA BBQ and would rank that right up with Aaron's. Their seasoning is closer to a pure salt and pepper. I was a bit surprised Lawry's was mentioned.

Get his book and read it sometime.

So there are many videos out there with Aaron Franklin saying he just uses salt and pepper... but his former pitmaster tells it differently. Maybe Aaron changed up his style in 2012 when John Lewis left?

Not sure how he would use the pickle juice. Maybe as a spritz?

Source: http://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/interview-john-lewis-of-la-barbecue/

I was just at Franklin today, posted my review and commented about this John Lewis Statement. My opinion, Franklin does NOT use just S&P on the brisket. And there was NO hint of any pickle juice on it at all. Maybe in the past, or at LABBQ they did this at some point. Franklin ribs for sure lots of S&P. Its bold and obvious. Not the case with the brisket. There a more subtle rub on it and more going on but cant put my finger on it.

I tried a brisket before and did some spritz with pickle juice. I thought it was really noticeable and almost ruined it. Would not do it again. I'd leave the pickles and its juice for the potato salad.

Last edited:
I'm convinced no Pitmaster, i.e. Franklin and his ilk, will give you 100% of the truth. Maybe 90% max. That way they can maintain their mystique. I've eaten at Franklin's many times and there is no way he uses only salt and pepper on his briskets. There is something else ... mystique maintained.

It does make live interesting.

Last edited:
Thought there was an OG breathren that cooked next to, or with Aaron and said he does only use S&P?

He revealing more in his book?

He does but you have pay attention

Thought there was an OG breathren that cooked next to, or with Aaron and said he does only use S&P?

The Pubah did himself. Don't know about rub but ge mentioned Worcester spritz

After gazing at, cruising the aromatics and browsing on the brisket at Franklin, I am sure it has some lemon/citrus in it. It was quite noticeable to me. It was superb.

Ive heard the same regarding citrus

Maybe they fun us but enough of what he does is out there. Just have to listen. I find his romanticism of old fashion techniques funny because the holding oven is his real trick. The popdaddy spritz is an umami bomb, also containing Italian urethra and fish sauce.

Quality meat
Quality prep
Quality spices
Quality wood
Quality smokers
Quality pit master running pits
Quality work environment
Quality ambient environment
Quality handling of finished product

All of this and how he got to the pinnacle are covered in AF's book. If you don't want to buy the book- search Bludawg Brisket below.

Exactly like all my cooks- well almost :)

I've watched multiple people try to dissect cooks-cookers and seasonings to the point they forget to enjoy the meal- at my table. I tell them exactly the truth- they think I "forgot" an ingredient. Ironically that's usually when I've used nothing but KS and CBP. I think some people just don't know what beef tastes like and when they they taste it for the first time- it's really good. But that's usually old people at my hut doing that. They have to be careful I've been in a break plate mode of late. Probably because Im averaging 32 putts per round.

Broke another plate last night. Not because they were dissing my food, but the food of an acquaintance. Figure if they'd bad mouth him when he's not around, they'd bad mouth me too.
Last edited:
Quality meat
Quality prep
Quality spices
Quality wood
Quality smokers
Quality pit master running pits
Quality work environment
Quality ambient environment
Quality handling of finished product

All of this and how he got to the pinnacle are covered in AF's book. If you don't want to buy the book- search Bludawg Brisket below.

Exactly like all my cooks- well almost :)

I've watched multiple people try to dissect cooks-cookers and seasonings to the point they forget to enjoy the meal- at my table. I tell them exactly the truth- they think I "forgot" an ingredient. Ironically that's usually when I've used nothing but KS and CBP. I think some people just don't know what beef tastes like and when they they taste it for the first time- it's really good. But that's usually old people at my hut doing that. They have to be careful I've been in a break plate mode of late. Probably because Im averaging 32 putts per round.

Broke another plate last night. Not because they were dissing my food, but the food of an acquaintance. Figure if they'd bad mouth him when he's not around, they'd bad mouth me too.
Yes yes yes. Quality counts but there is a trick. Blu may be a good starting point but those franklin briskets are held longer than he cooks his for. I wonder if the masses will ever figure out that the back half of the cook is more important the front.

Y'all can keep your six hour brisket

Yes yes yes. Quality counts but there is a trick. Blu may be a good starting point but those franklin briskets are held longer than he cooks his for. I wonder if the masses will ever figure out that the back half of the cook is more important the front.

Y'all can keep your six hour brisket

Aaron Franklin is rockstar barbecue and I have not been to any of his concerts. You think his briskets sitting in a warmer at 185F is helping the fat turn into sticky jelly?

La Barbecue has been one of the best that I've tried in Austin. No line when I went. I just don't have the time to invest in Franklin.

Back