THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great idea. While we're there you distract him and ill sneak in back and scope out the spice rack

He'd have a huge rack with every spice known to man... big sign over the top with one word:
"GUESS"

Great idea. While we're there you distract him and ill sneak in back and scope out the spice rack

He'd have a huge rack with every spice known to man... big sign over the top with one word:
"GUESS"

One could just dump every spice on that rack onto a brisket and hope for the best.

I didn't see it mentioned but I swear for a spritz it's either apple cider or apple cider vinegar. Could that make a difference?

When I was there a few weeks ago I talked to the main guy that day and got a tour of the pits. He said spritz with apple cider vinegar or worsteshire or whatever. No definitive answer but for sure his ribs, turkey and pulled pork had vinegar all over them.

When I was there a few weeks ago I talked to the main guy that day and got a tour of the pits. He said spritz with apple cider vinegar or worsteshire or whatever. No definitive answer but for sure his ribs, turkey and pulled pork had vinegar all over them.

Thats a huge difference in flavor profile. Thats up there with one day saying apple juice and the next day saying orange juice.

I saw a tv show or perhaps a YouTube video a while back. A guest chef worked a 24hr shift at Franklins. When he was helping the pitmasters with the briskets on the nightshift, they were spritzing them with apple cider vinegar and also tipping the briskest over to drain the grease puddle off. I'm assuming they drained the grease off the top to maintain a consistent and even bark.

Man I've watched that video twice but wasn't paying that much attention. This time, seeing the guy struggling with cutting brisket while Aaron did it so easily reminded me of myself when I tried to copy how the man trim brisket lol.

While wrapping the lids were left open for a VERY long time. They regain heat that fast? Or do you think the temp drop was part of the plan?

FWIW, my last brisket i did Bludawgs hot and fast method on my Lang 48. Brisket was a CAB choice from GFS. I kept the temps on my lang up in the 275 - 300 mark (closer to 300) the entire cook. I rubbed with SPOG and spritzed with 100% apple cider vinegar and cooked on a clean white oak fire and wrapped in regular brown butcher paper. I pulled the brisket at ~202 and into an empty cooler for 6ish hours. After ~6 hours the temp had fallen to 140 and it was time to eat.

It was as close to what Franklin and La BBQ offered as I have ever achieved in my backyard. The smell comin goff the lang was spot on what I remember from being there. The taste/texture was 90% of the way there (maybe i just got lucky on this one who knows). The bark was a little underwhelming but I think that is more to do with the right holding environment. Having those CVAP or other specialized holding oven is key. The closest the home cook could achieve at minor expense would be the roaster or a sous-vide for holding. Maybe even a 170 deg oven w/ water pan would get you partially there. I have cooked short ribs and chuck roast for up to 72 hours at 140 ish temps sous vide and the result is meat butter.

As to the point of using Lawry's. I don't think John Lewis was leading people astray I have read other articles where he has mentioned having great brisket somewhere and then realizing they used Lawrys. So while that rub recipe he gives may not be the current recipe he uses I bet it is close. I have a batch mixed up that I will try on the next brisket.

Count me in for a long hold.. when possible. It does make a difference.

Salt and pepper only? Who knows.. but it's possible to get some hints of other flavors when that fat is rendered out just right along with a nice clean post oak burn, and a spritz of ACV or watered down worchestire..

Franklins and La BBQ brisket is very close... both amazing.

A brisket rubbed with nothing but salt can give a good bark when cooked right. I don't have a hard time believing that the only ingredients IN THE RUB are salt and pepper. The spritz smoke and the meat could be the source of the additional flavors.

Personally I think people put WAY too much focus on the rub. The worlds best rub on an average piece of meat with an average cook is going to be mediocre at best. A simple rub on a very good piece of meat cooked by a master would blow it away.

The keys to Franklin's brisket are the meat he starts with and how it is cooked and held. If he could get the same results putting magic rub on bargain beef and rapid cooking for 5-6 hours, don't you think he would? It is a 24 hour operation because that's what it takes for him to consistently deliver the results he does.

The keys to Franklin's brisket are the meat he starts with and how it is cooked and held. If he could get the same results putting magic rub on bargain beef and rapid cooking for 5-6 hours, don't you think he would? It is a 24 hour operation because that's what it takes for him to consistently deliver the results he does.

Definitely the meat. I know he had a subpar review when he was forced to use Select/Choice grade when his supplier had issues.

The key to what places like Franklin, LA Barbecue, Luie Mullers, 2M smokehouse etc. Is the meat. The meat they get is just incredible. They of course no how to use their pits. I am convinced the seasoning is not as important as people make it out to be.

I have spritzed my brisket and short ribs for years. I use about 75% apple juice and about 25% Braggs apple cider vinegar. I want it to taste like a strong combucha. I spritz about once a hour maybe a little longer. This give an almost citrus taste because of acid in the vinegar and the sweet of the apple juice. It keeps the meat moist, does not hurt the bark and does build a different layer of flavor. I also wrap in butcher paper when the meat reaches 165 to 170 internal and cook till probe tender. I usually hold for a couple of hours in the oven about 170 maybe a little longer just depends how things work out. When I get a really good brisket or short rib they always come out incredible. When I get a mediocre piece of meat they come out ok. It's hard for most of us to get the quality of meat they get.

Back