Overnight brisket with a hold using my Limo Jr

Roadpir8

Name or Nickame
Serge
I wanted to try an overnight brisket because timing is an issue if you want to eat at around 5 pm. I read a lot about overnight cooks and holding briskets when done. I also read a lot about using tallow to baste. So, with all those things I read I decided to give it a go and ended up making my best brisket to date. I included my timeline below, but obviously timelines will vary but it gives you an idea of how it worked out for me if you are planning a cook.

I started with an 11.75 full packer from Costco. I trimmed it and put all the trimmings in a pan which I ended up putting on the shelf below the brisket in the smoker to catch the drippings as well.

I am smoking with my Limo Jr with a Bbq Guru UltraQ. I used post oak and pecan wood chunks for smoke. I cannot tell you how happy I am with my Limo Jr, I love it!!

Okay for seasoning I went with something I saw on Mad Scientist BBQ. In his episode titled “Salt & Pepper Only: Play Action Fake of the Barbecue World?” he provides a seasoning blend that is from John Lewis a former pit master for Franklin BBQ who now has his own restaurant. The blend is:
8 parts course ground pepper
3 parts Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
3 parts kosher salt
1 part granulated garlic​
John Lewis calls for using a mixture of half yellow mustard and half pickle juice as a binder. I opted out of the pickle juice and just used the yellow mustard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhPD1w_6jL0&t=1s

Timeline:

Noon: Trimmed and seasoned brisket and set in fridge uncovered.
4:00 pm: Fired up smoker, set Bbq Guru at 225, post oak and pecan for smoke.
5:00 pm: Placed into smoker, after first couple of hours began regularly spritzing with equal parts apple cider and apple cider vinegar
11:00 pm: It hit an internal temp of 167, bark was good. Basted with rendered fat and wrapped in butcher paper​
Sleep
4:45 am: It hit an internal temp of 206, felt done, placed in oven set at 150 to hold. Set Bbq Guru at 150. I did NOT unwrap at it at all before putting in oven to hold.​
Go back to sleep
8:30 am: Wake up. Bbq is at 150. Transferred brisket back into bbq to hold at 150.
3:00 pm: Loaded brisket into ice chest, covered with towels and transported it to in laws.
4:30 pm: Sliced and served.​

Attachments

• Rubbed and resting.jpg
    Rubbed and resting.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 146
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 145
  • done2.jpg
    done2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 146
Very nicely done! You could have found that Franklin rub here years ago. I also prefer just mustard.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That looks great. Good to see you back posting. Been missing your Limo Jr. cook stories, that you nail every time.

Overnight cooks are the best when you have the PID set to go. Makes it easy to sleep. Looks like the product turned out great. Never tried the 150*F oven hold without venting the brisket. That rub certainly sounds worth a try.

Back