THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um, can somebody define the "...Anything But.." catagory?

I got some ideas about somethin I wanna make, but not sure if its legal by the rule thingys...

Send me a PM and I will let you know...sure! Just kidding.

Anything Butt, is just that. It can be Anything besides, chicken, pork ribs, or tri-tip. So, if you want to cook beef ribs, OK, brisket, OK, smoked deviled eggs, OK...All we ask is that it be made on site, it maybe something that does not need to be cooked, so we cant ask everyone to cook it on site, but we would like to see it made on site. It can be presented any way you like. Hope that helps!

Bentley,

Just to verify, prep work can begin on Friday night, right? No cooking but you can marinade, brine or season ahead of time, correct?

Bentley,

Just to verify, prep work can begin on Friday night, right? No cooking but you can marinade, brine or season ahead of time, correct?

Teams, we treat the BackYard like it is a two day event in regards to meat prep. We trust everyone is in this for the fun and would not cheat. So like a regular KCBS contest, we assume you have checked in by 12 noon and your meat has been inspected. So after 12 noon on Friday, you may treat your meat just like you were at a KCBS competition.
Great question Neil, everyone else, keep em coming!

I'll judge. I have no expeience but what a great way to learn. Let me know what you want me to do.

Grillfella said he has a catering gig that day.

I'll judge. I have no expeience but what a great way to learn. Let me know what you want me to do.

Grillfella said he has a catering gig that day.

You are in my Brother(man I hope you are not a sister, I have never met you!)! I am counting on a frim commitment! If you can't do it please let me know before 7-28-07! We start at 7am, you are welcome to come anytime after that and be part of the festivities. Definitly need you there by 12:30 pm sharp. Our BackYard rep. will be doing a very mini CBJ class before judging to let non-CBJ's know a little what to look for!

Will send you the address just before the event, it will be in Garden Grove, by the 22 and 405!

You are in my Brother(man I hope you are not a sister, I have never met you!)! I am counting on a frim commitment!

Yes indead, I am your Brother. I plan on being there. I cant wait to finally meet the Brethern. I been cooking in my backyard for sometime now, but now I get to see how likeminded friends do it. I'll be there to learn. I want to see what everyones cooking on, how their cooking on it and how their doing it as a team. Down the road I'll be wanting to "mix it up" but this time I cant wait to watch and learn, eat and judge.

Well I finally got my plans straightened out and I will be able to attend this fine event. I will be helping out team "Smoke You Out BBQ" along with CountryHB.

Whoomp, there it is! I have been blessed to have Rob volunteer to help me stumble through this, our FIRST organized BBQ. Hell, even if we lose all catagories, I bet we'll still outweigh all other teams!!

Whoomp, there it is! I have been blessed to have Rob volunteer to help me stumble through this, our FIRST organized BBQ. Hell, even if we lose all catagories, I bet we'll still outweigh all other teams!!
As long as we get to cook and eat it is all good. This will be a great learning experience and if we win something all the better. Now to convince the wife to buy a new BWS Party for my B-day.....

So Cal Brethren - Still room for a couple of teams for Aug. 4th. Chicken, ribs, tri-tip and anything butt - No entry fee, and a lot of fun. Judges are in place as well.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Chris

I think I posted this stuff already, but will do so again a couple of times as we get closer.

Right! We have 9 teams, 3 more spots are avaiable. We have all 12 judges we need, 9 CBJ's, 1 Master CBJ and two non-CBJ. We also have 2 table Captians, one of which is our own Breathern Leanza! Should be a good oppertunity for teams that have not competed to see what real CBJ's look for(most of thes CBJ's are in double digits for judged contests) in a contest. For the more experienced teams, you should be ble to expermint with sauces and cooking styles without blowing an entry fee!

2 or 3 house keeping things.

1. Garnish is not required, if you want to use it great! We are going to try and mimick a KCBS style competition, but I just can't see DQing someone if they make a mistake!

2. Anything butt. To try and make this as clear as possible. This can be anything but, chicken, pork ribs, or tri-tip. Let me try and make it even clearer. Desserts, deviled eggs, banga chewbacka...anything! It DOES NOT have to be cooked on site! We do not want any store bought items please. If you have to make it at home and bring it fine, just don't go buy something from the store, like BigMista would!

3. Like a KCBS event, after your meat has been inspected, you are free to do with it what ever you like staying within KCBS guidelines. So we are going to use Friday at 12 noon as a referencepoint. We will assume all teams meat have been inspected at 12 noon, and therefore you may start, triming, marinading, injecting, messaging, rubbing...to your hearts content!

Any other question, PM me!

Back