THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are any of you a member of your state's or another BBQ organization but not KCBS? Do you get anything more out of that? I don't mind paying money to the Iowa BBQ Society because I see the effort that goes into the events we do, even if I am not directly involved. The same goes for KCBS. You may not see direct benefit you think you need, but the judging,contest, etc are a result of your dues.

Are any of you a member of your state's or another BBQ organization but not KCBS? Do you get anything more out of that? I don't mind paying money to the Iowa BBQ Society because I see the effort that goes into the events we do, even if I am not directly involved. The same goes for KCBS. You may not see direct benefit you think you need, but the judging,contest, etc are a result of your dues.

I have to diagree.
As an organizer you PAY and Reimburse for everything the KCBS does. You put them up in hotels pay milage. Its not just a bunch of people donating there time.

Please let me know if Im wrong here.

just an FYI...I just joined, heck the whole family just did. I did it because I love bbq and I love bbq competitions. with out some one in charge the whole thing would be plunged into chaos. I didnt join because of bios or discounts. I joined because of the wonderful reps like Linda M and John B. who put so much effort into making things "fair" that I have met. I joined for my fellow Brethren so that I may add my voice and my vote.

thanks for all of you debate! I now tip one back for all of you!!!

Sal

and yes when asked I now can say I am a member :eek:

just an FYI...I just joined, heck the whole family just did. I did it because I love bbq and I love bbq competitions. with out some one in charge the whole thing would be plunged into chaos. I didnt join because of bios or discounts. I joined because of the wonderful reps like Linda M and John B. who put so much effort into making things "fair" that I have met. I joined for my fellow Brethren so that I may add my voice and my vote.

thanks for all of you debate! I now tip one back for all of you!!!

Sal

and yes when asked I now can say I am a member :eek:

I hear you Sal and agree. Same reason I joined MABBQA. There are great folks in all organizations and there are those that don't like the organizations. Isn't great we live in a country where you get to choose what you want to do and are allowed to voice your opinion either way:p There are pros and cons to almost everything and I believe it is good for all thoughts to be heard IMO.

Remember to thank a Vet:-D

I just got back and seen this thread still going strong.... WOW. I say join if you want, and don't if you don't. I don't get to put my golf stats on the PGA site why if not a member should I get KCBS privelages. I am a member and proud to get the BULLSHEET.

[/color]

I have to diagree.
As an organizer you PAY and Reimburse for everything the KCBS does. You put them up in hotels pay milage. Its not just a bunch of people donating there time.

Please let me know if Im wrong here.
I have never been involved from the organizer standpoint. But from a cooking standpoint I like knowing there is to be a consistency although I don't always agree with the judges.

I guess I'm one of those who sees value in membership beyond "What's in it for me?"

I've belonged to a number of nonprofit educational associations over the years, solely because I saw fit to support organizations representing my hobbies and interests. Obviously I didn't see every penny back in trade from the Pasadena Rose Society at $35 a year (back in the dark ages when a buck was worth something) or the American Rose Society at $50 a year, but I DID see the value in supporting local and national organizations that were a venue for sharing of interest and information with others, that created and administered competition structures, and that presented an informative interface with the general public.

Never once in those years did I hear people proudly announcing that they would not be members of the organizations in whose shows they were participating and taking advantage, nor did I hear relentless nickel-and-diming about whether this month's issue or entry tag was "worth it" or not. FFS.

Maybe times are different, but I was under the impression that if one had an interest in something, or wished to engage in activities with others, or wished to promote something and encourage others in similar interests, that one would step a little outside of the narrow zone of self-interest.

< /soapbox>

I wish we had one of those little clapping smileys because I'd give you a few right here in this spot! :wink:

In looking into getting a event KCBS sanctioned event in our town, do you honestly think that KCBS is less about being a Profitable business and more about Promoting the past-time we all love?

Honestly, aside from a few people, one of whom is THANKFULLY gone from the board, yes I do. I know a few board members. I personally know Carolyn Wells. I know, respect and am close friends with some reps. Aside from the few I mentioned, every one of these people are about promoting BBQ and the friendships that make it so special! So basically, everyone that I personally know who is part of the KCBS has promoting the BBQ past-time as goal #1.

Look, we're not always gonna agree with the governing bodies of anything we're involved with emotionally. But that doesn't mean we're gonna pack up and leave the country if it's the United States we're talking about. Why load up your BBQ toys and go home just because you don't agree with everything KCBS does. Personally, I think this is getting insane! Last year, we were all afraid KCBS was going to bow down to MMA Marketing and that hasn't happened. So now, the WORST thing that seems to be happening is that KCBS sent you out an email saying if you weren't a member, you couldn't have a team bio on the Web site. Or you got an email you feel that you shouldn't have gotten. Or maybe you just don't see the value in being a member of an organization that makes it possible for you to compete weekly if you want, in contests all across the country using the same rules, criteria and computer systems and requires contest organizers to pay you certain amounts... an organization that spends thousands each year promoting barbeque so that you'll have contests to attend in the first place. Because let's be honest here... if KCBS didn't promote the "sport" like it has, who would go? Who would sponsor them so you can get paid? Who would care? How many times do you see a list of organized NON-sanctioned events for you to attend? And if you do, go to one, you never know under what set of rules you'll be competing.

Face it, if you are even remotely interested in competition barbeque (or any BBQ for that matter), the KCBS is still a GREAT value at $35. It's just a little difficult to see that through all the complaint pollution out there.

The email I got said that non-member bios would be removed.
It said nothing about having to be a member to see the bios.

So... my assumption would be... everyone will still be able to see them. :wink:

Wasn't in the email... it was in the Bullsheet. March, 2009, page 10, lower right corner of the page.

Do you not seek sponsors? Doesn't being a member of a professional sanctioning body and having a profile there give you legitimacy when approaching them? I know it does us.

Jeff, Sponsorship with me is not an issue in the least. But aside from that.
I DO think that the KCBS is a organization that is without question is needed to oversee and govern the rules and integrity of BBQ competitions across the U.S. I am sure that I will join the Organization prior to May 15th and it has absolutely nothing to do with $ 35.00. The only point I was trying to get out there is that your $ 35.00 dues really has nothing to do with the events that run on a weekly basis. ALL of that money is put up IN ADVANCE by the person holding the competition. KCBS does not just donate their time to run events.

Dan

Jeff, Sponsorship with me is not an issue in the least. But aside from that.
I DO think that the KCBS is a organization that is without question is needed to oversee and govern the rules and integrity of BBQ competitions across the U.S. I am sure that I will join the Organization prior to May 15th and it has absolutely nothing to do with $ 35.00. The only point I was trying to get out there is that your $ 35.00 dues really has nothing to do with the events that run on a weekly basis. ALL of that money is put up IN ADVANCE by the person holding the competition. KCBS does not just donate their time to run events.

Dan

Dan, IMO, you're underestimating the cost involved. I am guessing it costs KCBS more than the $300 and $12 per team they collect for events for everything they have into it. I do not know the entire breakdown of KCBS's cost to sanction a single event but I'm guessing if you're adding in everything, you'll surpass that small amount of cash. That means funds need to come from other places as well... such as our membership fees.

Dan, IMO, you're underestimating the cost involved. I am guessing it costs KCBS more than the $300 and $12 per team they collect for events for everything they have into it. I do not know the entire breakdown of KCBS's cost to sanction a single event but I'm guessing if you're adding in everything, you'll surpass that small amount of cash. That means funds need to come from other places as well... such as our membership fees.
Jeff, The 300 Dollar is just the MINIMUM you can send with your Application. ALL other fees owed to the KCBS and all other money payed must be payed in full at the conclution of the event the day of the event.
If I can start an event for 300 and charge the teams 12 I would hold one every weekend.

NO FUNDS COME FROM PEOPLES DUES TO HELP IN THE COST OF RUNNING A COMP

Click the KCBS tab,go to Downloads. then sanction request form read for yourself.

Jeff, The 300 Dollar is just the MINIMUM you can send with your Application. ALL other fees owed to the KCBS and all other money payed must be payed in full at the conclution of the event the day of the event.
If I can start an event for 300 and charge the teams 12 I would hold one every weekend.

I'm an organizer so I'm aware of that and that you pay the $12... you don't charge teams extra for it. Still, even with the $900 KCBS pulls in for a 50 team event, if you add in all business costs associated with sanctioning, it's more than $900. Computers, software, printers, reps mileage and expenses, contest promotion (Web site, Bullsheet printing, etc.)... more than $900 with all of it!

I'm an organizer so I'm aware of that and that you pay the $12... you don't charge teams extra for it. Still, even with the $900 KCBS pulls in for a 50 team event, if you add in all business costs associated with sanctioning, it's more than $900. Computers, software, printers, reps mileage and expenses, contest promotion (Web site, Bullsheet printing, etc.)... more than $900 with all of it!
OK your right. Im sorry.
Dan

KCBS pays?? I think the actual contest pays the reps don't they? Or at least covers their expenses and hotels.

Back