THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$35 what it goes too!

I would assume it goes to the expenses of running the business end of things.

I can see that part of it but if lets do the math, lets say there are 10,000 members at $35 per member that is $350,000. 20,000 members is $700 G. I find it very hard to believe it costs that much to run this organanization. I may be wrong. This is simply out of curiosity why I am asking. I never really thought about until I saw this post.

But I often find errors. You are missing one of our contests: GC @ Burlington, KS.

EDIT: Should I follow Pork Pullin Plowboys #97 or Pork Pullin Plow Boys #128?

Sorry about that. I am running the rankings right now and it should be done in a probably 20 minutes or so. I combined all the results to pork Pullin Plowboys with no space and added the new contest.

If you create a login and link it to pork pullin plowboys you can change the name in the database whenever you like to whatever you like.

To link your login to a team click on your login in the upper right hand corner of the page. Then you can enter a team that you would like to be linked to. That sends me an email, I approve the link and then you become the creator of that team. You can have more than one person on a team, but only 1 creator. We are also allowing people to be members without being connected to a team, hence the team link being on the profile page after you create your account instead of forcing it at the start.

Just thought that I would post since there seems to be some confusion. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I can see that part of it but if lets do the math, lets say there are 10,000 members at $35 per member that is $350,000. 20,000 members is $700 G. I find it very hard to believe it costs that much to run this organanization. I may be wrong. This is simply out of curiosity why I am asking. I never really thought about until I saw this post.

I think that you would be surprised as too what it really costs to run a large organization. Seems to me that I also remember that sanctioning fees are a large part of their budget with dues making up just 30% or so. But I could be wrong on that number.

I would assume just the labor would take a third of that. The rent, utilities, insurance, there is a hell of a lot expenses. My employees think I'm rich, in fact that is not the case. I am dead broke!!!!!

The OP in this thread said that he read in the Bullsheet that you have to be a member to view them but I can't confirm this as we typically recieve our copies of the Bullsheet 10-14 days after most people. (Damn Pony Express)

I am the OP and I can confirm this. :wink:

Jon, according to the KCBS Web site, there are a little over 8,000 KCBS members worldwide.

Should it matter if it was recent or not? Do improprieties have an experation date?

At the risk of runinning my Diva status, I will leave it at that. You are the 1st person in 6 years to even care, or ask about it.

I agree that improprieties should not have a "stature of limitations" but come on man, in fairness to Linda, she was not on the board six years ago for her to be able to show an interest to you. The KCBS is an evolving organization. What happened back in those days might be taken very seriously these days.

In regards to all these emails you guys are melting down over, why would you not just be happy they're letting you know the situation? They saved a little time by sending ONE email to everyone. Basically it tells us all that if you are not a member, your bio goes bye-bye. If you are a member, it does not. Why does it matter that you, as a member got one? I am one of the first in line to raise a stink if I think something is wrong but this email doesn't bother me! No one ever suggested in the first place that as a member, you would receive no notification email. I think the fact we as members were kept in the loop is a good thing. Someone mentioned the technology of being able to divide the email list between members and non-members. Well, the technology sits with MMA and this email came from KCBS. IMO, KCBS just saved a little bit on labor costs by only sending one email. Miniscule, I know but every little bit helps these days. I guess I look at it as though they're trying to be good stewards with my membership fees.

no they did'nt

Check your spam folder...

in fairness to Linda, she was not on the board six years ago for her to be able to show an interest to you.

If you thought I was slamming Linda, I was not. She is the 1st person from KCBS, and this as many of you know, is not my 1st post on this subject, to ever have the fortitude to ask...I was going to put in some choice comments here, but I said I would let it go.

I guess I'm one of those who sees value in membership beyond "What's in it for me?"

I've belonged to a number of nonprofit educational associations over the years, solely because I saw fit to support organizations representing my hobbies and interests. Obviously I didn't see every penny back in trade from the Pasadena Rose Society at $35 a year (back in the dark ages when a buck was worth something) or the American Rose Society at $50 a year, but I DID see the value in supporting local and national organizations that were a venue for sharing of interest and information with others, that created and administered competition structures, and that presented an informative interface with the general public.

Never once in those years did I hear people proudly announcing that they would not be members of the organizations in whose shows they were participating and taking advantage, nor did I hear relentless nickel-and-diming about whether this month's issue or entry tag was "worth it" or not. FFS.

Maybe times are different, but I was under the impression that if one had an interest in something, or wished to engage in activities with others, or wished to promote something and encourage others in similar interests, that one would step a little outside of the narrow zone of self-interest.

< /soapbox>

Never once in those years did I hear people proudly announcing that they would not be members of the organizations in whose shows they were participating and taking advantage

I am not sure how to interperate this. It sounds to me you are saying that because a contest is KCBS sanctioned they are putting it on? The same as the Rose committee running the Tournament of Roses?

I don’t see a correlation between a band being invited to participate in the Rose parade and me as a non-member team competing in a KCBS sanctioned event.

I bet you dont see to many band or float people bad mouthing the tourny, well maybe after it is over and they had a bad experience...

The email I got said that non-member bios would be removed.
It said nothing about having to be a member to see the bios.

So... my assumption would be... everyone will still be able to see them. :wink:

I guess I'm one of those who sees value in membership beyond "What's in it for me?"

I've belonged to a number of nonprofit educational associations over the years, solely because I saw fit to support organizations representing my hobbies and interests. Obviously I didn't see every penny back in trade from the Pasadena Rose Society at $35 a year (back in the dark ages when a buck was worth something) or the American Rose Society at $50 a year, but I DID see the value in supporting local and national organizations that were a venue for sharing of interest and information with others, that created and administered competition structures, and that presented an informative interface with the general public.

Never once in those years did I hear people proudly announcing that they would not be members of the organizations in whose shows they were participating and taking advantage, nor did I hear relentless nickel-and-diming about whether this month's issue or entry tag was "worth it" or not. FFS.

Maybe times are different, but I was under the impression that if one had an interest in something, or wished to engage in activities with others, or wished to promote something and encourage others in similar interests, that one would step a little outside of the narrow zone of self-interest.

< /soapbox>

Two thoughts,
I wonder what the percentage would be of time that everyone that has posted in this thread, is spent in THIS forum verses the KCBS website????????
In looking into getting a event KCBS sanctioned event in our town, do you honestly think that KCBS is less about being a Profitable business and more about Promoting the past-time we all love?

I am not sure how to interperate this. It sounds to me you are saying that because a contest is KCBS sanctioned they are putting it on? The same as the Rose committee running the Tournament of Roses?

I don’t see a correlation between a band being invited to participate in the Rose parade and me as a non-member team competing in a KCBS sanctioned event.

I bet you dont see to many band or float people bad mouthing the tourny, well maybe after it is over and they had a bad experience...

No, that is not the parallel drawn at all. The Pasadena Rose Society and American Rose Society are nonprofit educational organizations that are not in any way affiliated with the Tournament of Roses.

An individual would participate in a rose show put on by a local organization, using the ARS rose-show format and judges, in exactly the same way an individual BBQ team competes in a locally-organized contest which utilizes KCBS format and judges.

And I don't believe it's terribly difficult to understand that in both circumstances, the rose exhibitor or BBQ contestant derives immediate benefit from the contest and judging structure provided by the national organization. To take advantage of those benefits on solely an immediate play-for-pay basis without supporting the organization, and to churlishly boast of it to boot, was not characteristic of that demographic. Much the contrary -- most of those I knew retained membership in several local organizations as well as the national.

Back