THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it normal to hear a slight leak from your instant pot? Mine sounds like it’s only 99.7% sealed

It will hiss a little, before it seals. I had my sister get one, and she kept complaining it wasn't sealing off. She would call me every time, wanting to know what she was doing wrong. I kept telling her what to do, and she kept having bad luck. Finally had her use it, while I was there. She would start messing with it, as soon as it started making noise. Wouldn't let it come all the way to pressure. Now she loves it. If you are convinced it wasn't sealing properly, check your gasket on the bottom of the lid. Make sure that it is in properly, and nothing on it. Also, check the gasket on the safety plug. The little red plug that comes up to stop you from opening. Sometimes, mine is slow to seal, and I can bump that plug, and it seals right off. Once totally sealed, I hear no noise from mine.

Also, you can pull the pressure/release valve off, and run water through it. If you fill it too full, you can sometimes get something in the valve, that will prevent it from working properly. SmittyJonz is right though. Give it plenty of time before you start fussing over it. It works perfect most of the time, if you just leave it alone.

Last edited:
Mine just showed up today, went for the no rush shipping. Decided to pay the $5 extra for the 8Qt, but holy crap is it big.

Looking to get one this black friday and just wanted to see what The Brethren thought about it. More importantly the uses of it.

Thanks All..

I bought a 3 QT model and just used it to make a pot of Texas Red Chili. I was a bit wary of using chuck roast (I did trim the fat off) for a 30 minute cook but that is what was called for. I must say, I am surprised. The chuck meat just falls apart and I can taste the beef as well as the chili flavors. I am starting to really like this thing since I can make a quick meal for two in no time.

Here is what I used but I did scale it down to fit my cooker and cut the meat smaller.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-texas-red-chili/

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
The big crock pot died so Wifey just bought an 8 qt instant pot on Amazon for $89.00. We've used it twice in pressure mode, so far so good.

Mine just showed up today, went for the no rush shipping. Decided to pay the $5 extra for the 8Qt, but holy crap is it big.

I just bought the 8Qt and thought the same thing. Extra space is nice though - just made a bunch of yogurt in mason jars last night.

Now I need to make some gyros to use up that yogurt....

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I used mine for the first time last night. Made frozen beef short ribs in a little over an hour and they were very good!

I tried selling the wife on a 8qt, but she insisted on the 6. I think its a mistake. a 4lb chuck roast barely fit. Also did about 3lbs of pork belly that was about the max.

all 6qts are not usable.

anyways, I cant help but think our venting valve is wonky, just flops around, and it always sounds like just a tiny bit of pressure is leaking. Maybe that's just the unit bleeding off excess pressure?

8ASLOIQl.jpg

7OcufSEl.jpg

Well I could have made this Taco Soup in same time on the stovetop- it Took A Long time to pressure up but I did overfill it.
BUT....I didn't have to babysit it on the stove.....:thumb:

hTxOZ3Qh.jpg

Last edited:
I made a quick chicken stew in my IP last night. Two chicken breasts, carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, fresh herbs, salt, pepper and chicken stock.

Sauté the carrots for a couple of minutes and then add the celery and onions. Sauté another couple of minutes and then add the mushrooms. Sauté for another couple of minutes and add the herbs, salt, pepper and 2 cups of chicken stock. High pressure for 15, let it sit for 5 and then release the pressure. After the pressure is down take out the chicken and veggies and thicken the liquid with cornstarch mixed into some chicken stock. Shred to chunk the chicken and add the chicken and veggies back in. You may need to put the pot on Sauté too get everything back up to temp.

7835_FD7_C-742_E-432_E-_AF03-67_A272_EF8508.jpg

Pork Chops are Pretty Tasty. Did White Rice First, then emptied into a bowl. Seared PorkChops 2 at a time on Sautee' mode. Once all 6 chops were browned I put all 6 in Magic pot and added 2 Cups of McCormick Pork Gravy ( packets you mix with water) and then 2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (Dry) and Ran it on Pressure Zap for 15 minutes. Then pulled the chops out and ran it on Sautee mode for about 10 minutes to thicken up the gravy. Mmmmmmm
Took a lil bit of Time but was Easy. I could've shortened the Time by Browning the Pork Chops in a Skillet while the Rice was Pressure Zapping......

Last edited:
Back