THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used mine to make beef for Barbacoa tacos last night. Arm roast so not very marbled. 90 minutes on high pressure, 10 minutes of natural release then i got impatient and popped it. Delicious, tender, and not dried out. Pretty delicious.
I use mine every week to make hard boiled eggs, and it makes the best greek yogurt in the world. It’s great on holidays if you need it as a slow cooker to keep something warm (mashed potatoes?) but mine will get filled with sliced apples, cinnamon and sugar, topped with a crumb topping and left in slow cooker mode to make a spoonable apple crisp.
Now that we are coming into cold weather it will go back into heavy rotation making soups, stews, and pot roasts. My work day is too long for a slow cooker for most things, the meat ends up mushy and veggies dissolve. With the instant pot as a pressure cooker i can make a great dinner in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:
I have a farberware pressure cooker. I have tried a variety of things in it, but don't use it very often. I rarely feel I need to cook meat that fast, so I really don't use it for that. I have used it for rice, pinto (refried) beans, potatoes, and tried a cheesecake in it. The cheesecake was a fail, but I think it could be done well.

I will use it for cranberry steamed pudding at Christmas.

If I were to buy one all over again, I would get an InstaPot. A lot of recipes and other internet references specifically for them. the Farberware one is not well documented, so "heat" and time issues have to be translated.

When I was shopping for a pressure cooker, I almost bought an IP, but decided against it. I bought a 6qt stainless steel presto stove top model instead. It's the weber kettle of the pressure cooking world.

It cooks at higher temps and pressures so it cooks faster, it's solid stainless steel, it has fewer moving parts and no digital components to stop working 2-3 years. It's built like a tank and will last forever. It also costs less than half what an IP does at $25.00 shipped.

That said, I already had a slow cooker, if that's something you need, an IP is pretty tough to beat and the cook times aren't much slower.

When I was shopping for a pressure cooker, I almost bought an IP, but decided against it. I bought a 6qt stainless steel presto stove top model instead. It's the weber kettle of the pressure cooking world.

It cooks at higher temps and pressures so it cooks faster, it's solid stainless steel, it has fewer moving parts and no digital components to stop working 2-3 years. It's built like a tank and will last forever. It also costs less than half what an IP does at $25.00 shipped.

That said, I already had a slow cooker, if that's something you need, an IP is pretty tough to beat and the cook times aren't much slower.

I have both, and you make good points about the stove top model. It is great, however until you have an electric pressure cooker, you can't understand how convenient it is. There is room in my home for both, because they both have their uses.

Any thoughts on the Bluetooth model? I feel like it would be an advantage to be able to start and stop it via an app while we are unable to be at the house watching it.

Amazon had a great rice on the BT version the other day and I thought about it, but didn't pull the trigger. I already have an 8 Qt. non-BT, and I just don't see the need for BT. Leaving it with food sitting in it before starting the cook just isn't good food safety, and after the pressure cook is over it automatically drops into hold mode to keep the food hot, so I didn't see the value.

I have (2) stoptop pressure cookers and still in this one!

We've had a stovetop for 10 years or so, and used to use it a lot. Once we got a Cuisinart electric in '14, we didn't use it much. This year we replaced that with a Breville.

A nice thing about the Instapot is there is at least one model with a stainless insert. The non-stick surface was what eventually failed on the Cuisinart.

So, I guess that's a model recommendation for the IP.

It is a pressure cooker. There are better ones out there. Like this one. I have seen it in action (friend has it).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...b57-5598-a477-499acdaf5251&pf_rd_i=3117954011

(I have a Cuisinart one that I like, as well).

Calling an IP a pressure cooker is like saying you can grill on a Weber kettle. While the statement is true, it's so much more than a pressure cooker. That Breville unit looks nice, but not sure I could justify the extra cost when the Instant Pot works so well at half the price.

To the OP, I highly recommend the 8qt. Even if there are only 2 in your house (I have no idea the size of your household) the extra capacity won't hurt.

Calling an IP a pressure cooker is like saying you can grill on a Weber kettle. While the statement is true, it's so much more than a pressure cooker. That Breville unit looks nice, but not sure I could justify the extra cost when the Instant Pot works so well at half the price.

To the OP, I highly recommend the 8qt. Even if there are only 2 in your house (I have no idea the size of your household) the extra capacity won't hurt.
No sense beating a dead horse. But most quality electric pressure cookers (like mine) can do everything the IP can do. I am just perplexed as to why it has this cult like aura. Anyway, done debating it. It's all good.

No sense beating a dead horse. But most quality electric pressure cookers (like mine) can do everything the IP can do. I am just perplexed as to why it has this cult like aura. Anyway, done debating it. It's all good.

I am guessing the main reason for it's popularity, would be it was the first electric pressure cooker on the market. I don't think anyone is saying, you can't get a good electric pressure cooker, that isn't instant pot. Or at least I am not. When I was looking for one, I narrowed it down to Cuisinart, and instant pot. The reason was at the time, those were the only 2 brands that actually said what pressure they were cooking at. I went with instant pot, because it was 8qt instead of 6. Also, there are a lot of recipes and cookbooks that are written and tested on the instant pot. Not saying these recipes can't be done, in another brand, and most of them probably can, but it does help with sales and popularity. The original question was should he get an instant pot, I guess if you want to generalize it and say should you get an electric pressure cooker, I would still say yes, no matter the brand. As with anything, you should look at all brands, and decide which one fits your needs the most.

Forgot to mention, another selling point on the instant pot, was that it has a Stainless pot insert, where most other brands, had non stick. Stainless lasts forever, non stick doesn't.

There is a definitely a pretty rabid fanbase for the IP. I’m a fan of anything that makes cooking good food easier. That said I think most any pressure cooker would work well. I was just curious why you consider the Breville so much better. Personally I would pick ANY brand with 8 qt capacity and over 6 qt. There are times that I wish I had a 12 qt pressure cooker.

oxSFjkkl.jpg

I just got a 6 quart one - 7 minutes ago.

You'll likely find that size just fine. We have had 6 qt electrics for a few year, and have never needed to resort to the 8qt stovetop pc only over the size of the cook.

Well, until last night, when my wife threw a bunch of turkey wings in with lots of veggies for the turkey stock!

I love mine. The pressure luck low country shrimp boil. 35mins from frozen shrimp to perfectly cooked potatoes, sausage, corn, and shrimp. That and chicken chili verde, couple frozen chicken breasts and a jar of salsa verde, super easy.

Back