THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I was recently watching an episode of BBQ Pit Masters. One of the guys was using a red, insulated, GF smoker, with a built in temp controller fan. Did anyone see that? Can you ID that smoker?

I have watched all episodes and really can not think of a built in fan right off the bat.
Can you get a photo off of the TV screen or tell us which team it is that you are referring to?

Was it actually built in, or just mounted in a recess in the smoker? Deep South gravity fed smokers have a recess to put a fan control like a Guru.

From what I could see, it was a metal box, attached to the side of the hopper, with a readout showing. I thought I was recording the show, so I turned it off so that I could watch the entire episode later. Turns out I was recording the next episode. It looked like a quality, insulated, gravity fed, with a built in temp controller.

Last edited:
Was it actually built in, or just mounted in a recess in the smoker? Deep South gravity fed smokers have a recess to put a fan control like a Guru.

We compete with a Deep South GC28 but I don't recall one being on Pitmaster right off.

From what I could see, it was a metal box, attached to the side of the hopper, with a readout showing. I thought I was recording the show, so I turned it off so that I could watch the entire episode later. Turns out I was recording the next episode. It looked like a quality, insulated, gravity fed, with a built in temp controller.

Hoppers are used on pellet cookers rather than gravity feed charcoal cookers. So maybe he was just using the display for internal temperatures rather than controlling the temp of the cooker.

I have all episodes of BBQ Pitmasters on Amazon. So if you can give me the name of the guy, or even the season, I'm sure I could pull it up and figure it out for you. I'll bet that what you saw was a Stumps Gravity Feed..very popular in the competition circuit during that time. Robbie Royal and Walter "Stump" McDowell used them on the show pretty often.

It was an episode from a few days ago, like over the weekend. Don't know the guy's name either. Young, dark hair. He was one of three competing. By hopper, I was referring to the charcoal chute. It resembled the Deep South in red, however several GF smokers look like that, I would imagine. Who knows...maybe the controller/fan box was a custom ad-on, but it was attached and built in.

It was an episode from a few days ago, like over the weekend. Don't know the guy's name either. Young, dark hair. He was one of three competing. By hopper, I was referring to the charcoal chute. It resembled the Deep South in red, however several GF smokers look like that, I would imagine. Who knows...maybe the controller/fan box was a custom ad-on, but it was attached and built in.

The show stopped filming years ago, so what you're seeing now are just re-runs. What meats were they cooking?

I'd just be guessing at that. I just caught a few minutes of the beginning of the show, where they intro the folks competing and what they are cooking on. Once I hit record, I changed the channel. Thanks for the help.

I skimmed through just about all of BBQ Pitmasters and the only time I see anyone using a red GF with a temp controller on the charcoal chute is Robby Royal from Rescue Smokers.

pHgg6Zh.jpg

Does this look familiar?

That wasn't the guy. He was a younger guy. I appreciate your looking back. I sure wish I had recorded that show. I noted it was a GF, like the MB, but good quality. Sorry to put you thru all the trouble. I can tell you that the guy in the pick was in the following episode that was aired, I believe. Again, sorry to send you on the wild goose chase.

Myron and Michael Mixon did a father vs son BBQ Pitmasters at The Big Pig Jig in GA.
Michael had a RED Mixon Smoker there.
Is this the young person on the episode your talking about?

32926.jpg

Hoppers are used on pellet cookers rather than gravity feed charcoal cookers. So maybe he was just using the display for internal temperatures rather than controlling the temp of the cooker.

I have all episodes of BBQ Pitmasters on Amazon. So if you can give me the name of the guy, or even the season, I'm sure I could pull it up and figure it out for you. I'll bet that what you saw was a Stumps Gravity Feed..very popular in the competition circuit during that time. Robbie Royal and Walter "Stump" McDowell used them on the show pretty often.

Random question. Season 5 episode 10. Do you own that episode. I own all but that one and for some reason I’ve never been able to buy that one.

Random question. Season 5 episode 10. Do you own that episode. I own all but that one and for some reason I’ve never been able to buy that one.

Thought it was something with our Amazon Prime, can't get that one either :)

I do, but that episode has been replaced with some kind of crime drama show. This reminds me that I'm going to send Amazon an email about that episode to see if they can fix this error.

Just addressed this with Amazon customer service and they said they are disabling the show, and have escalated the problem to the content provider. They are saying it should be fixed in a couple of days, but who knows.

I'm sorry guys. Wish I could give you more information on this. I purposely didn't watch any more of it, because I wanted to watch it all later. Lesson learned.

I'm sorry guys. Wish I could give you more information on this. I purposely didn't watch any more of it, because I wanted to watch it all later. Lesson learned.

No worries!

It is a nice break from the bickering and Covid threads :-D

When you mentioned hopper with a readout my first though would be an FEC-100, but that is stainless, not red.

FAST-EDDYS-FEC100-1-POP.jpg

No worries!

It is a nice break from the bickering and Covid threads :-D

When you mentioned hopper with a readout my first though would be an FEC-100, but that is stainless, not red.

FAST-EDDYS-FEC100-1-POP.jpg

I bet that's it.
Didn't David (Butcher BBQ) son help one episode and used a FEC?
That would explain when the OP said it was a young guy if so.

Back