Free Rub !!! Please help

mrwick, smoked some wings with your rub using hickory for the smoke. Rub had just the right amount of sweetness and the hickory added to the flavor of the mild kick. I don't use a lot of salt when i cook unless it really needs it so i thought the light amount of salt is just fine. In my opinion your rub very very good. Thanks for the sample.

ups just showed up w/ some unlabeled rub (next day air-WOW!!!)so i guess i got some.thanx. i'll be trying it on ribs in a few days.

mrwicks- pm me your addy & i'll send you some of mine as promised.

Here a pic of the Wings & 1 small fatty. Sorry, not a real good photo. Next time i will use our good camera.

Last edited:
Hey Mr. Wick,

I got mine today and will give it a shot this weekend. Everyone in my shop smelled it when it came in and asked what it was.

Did you come up with a name yet?

Hey Mr. Wick,

I got mine today and will give it a shot this weekend. Everyone in my shop smelled it when it came in and asked what it was.

Did you come up with a name yet?

Not yet......was thinking about "Forque Tender" since the catering company is Forque BBQ & Catering.... but not 100percent committed to that yet ....especially since there is no tenderizing agent

Thanks again for the generous sample quantity.
I cooked 3 racks of spares, St. Louis cut, on Sunday and used the rub on 2 of 3 racks.
I detected a bit of a heat kick when I tasted it and I used it liberally. ( I slathered first with a little worshey.)
I smoked over mostly apple wood with an occasional chunk of cherry.
Only have one pic of the prep, sorry.
Ribs turned out real good and I think it does need a tad more salt but that is just my palate. It's good stuff and a bit more on the spicy side than sweet as best I can tell.
I did spray a couple times during the cook with AJ, just fyi.
All in all, I think you have a nice blend and always enjoy trying out and testing new rubs when I can.
Thanks again and good luck.

Mr.Wicks your rub is good. I tried it on some BBs Saturday and my only criticism is the lack of salt to help penetrate the rest of the ingrediants into the meat. Up the salt content and you have a winner.

just received it yesterday, did a finger taste and wow. can't wait to use it on everything. i would defiantly buy this and let me know when you start selling it.
thanks Ron :p:p

Got it yesterday, so far smells good, gave it a tiny taste...seems like it'll be great on chicken. I have company coming this weekend and plan on smoking some drums and thighs so I'll post and let you know. Thanks for the large sample!
And Forque Tender is a great name!

Got mine yesterday. Hoping to get some Yardbird on the drum with a little pecan for smoke tomorrow. Thanks for the generous sample. It smells great!

My Review of mrwicks rub

As I mentioned earlier, the rub is very balanced in flavors. The cumin is not overwhelming but still very earthy. It has a cinnamon or star anise taste and smell to it. Its very mild in salt and heat. Overall, very earthy, mild, and balanced.

I smoked two butts, one with your rub, one with mine (which is very sweet and peppery). After rubbing with yellow mustard, I rubbed each butt. This is after sitting for about 20 mins. The initial difference is the rub on the right drew out much more moisture from the meat and almost formed a glaze. This is likely from the brown sugar content.

Yours is the rub on the left.
1ij1oi.jpg

Because the butts took way longer than expected, I foiled them and put them in the oven to bring them up to temp. I lost all bark because of that so... no nice bark pics.

In the meantime I put back a few and then got impatient. The picture below is what yours looked like after being pulled.

xc7i3p.jpg

My critical review of the product:
It was too mild overall. It was good, the pulled pork was way better than other recipes I have tried. It did not stand out, however. There was no wow in the taste. It was good, but nothing distinctive to remember it by. I think adding some salt and some heat would go along way. I think it makes a great base to build on. Add some salt, maybe some black pepper, and maybe something to give it a little kick. It tasted great, just too mild in flavor intensity. I think salt is the key... or maybe some MSG:grin:.

I think you said that you prefer to add salt first when putting it on some things. I didn't add any additional salt so this may have been my problem. If I bought a rub, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doctoring it up in anyway.

THanks mrwicks. I plan to try it on some chicken soon. It might be better suited for chicken.

As I mentioned earlier, the rub is very balanced in flavors. The cumin is not overwhelming but still very earthy. It has a cinnamon or star anise taste and smell to it. Its very mild in salt and heat. Overall, very earthy, mild, and balanced.

I smoked two butts, one with your rub, one with mine (which is very sweet and peppery). After rubbing with yellow mustard, I rubbed each butt. This is after sitting for about 20 mins. The initial difference is the rub on the right drew out much more moisture from the meat and almost formed a glaze. This is likely from the brown sugar content.

My critical review of the product:
It was too mild overall. It was good, the pulled pork was way better than other recipes I have tried. It did not stand out, however. There was no wow in the taste. It was good, but nothing distinctive to remember it by. I think adding some salt and some heat would go along way. I think it makes a great base to build on. Add some salt, maybe some black pepper, and maybe something to give it a little kick. It tasted great, just too mild in flavor intensity. I think salt is the key... or maybe some MSG:grin:.

I think you said that you prefer to add salt first when putting it on some things. I didn't add any additional salt so this may have been my problem. If I bought a rub, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doctoring it up in anyway.

THanks mrwicks. I plan to try it on some chicken soon. It might be better suited for chicken.

Thanks for the review...... I personally like everything superhot ( i grow Naga Morichs and Bhut Jolokia in the backyard) so i tend to be extremely light with pepper cause most i know cant handle it.....i should realize that some of the heat will tame after cooking....but kinda afraid of making it too hot for the masses......

I always knew i would have to add more salt as most of the commercial rubs ive tasted have a far more pronounced salt taste than mine....but i wanted to have people try it as is....

there are going to be some tweaks .....i "treat" meat that i'm cooking before hand with salt and other things.....but i do realize now that a person purchasing a rub would probably sprinkle straight from the bottle and not think to add additional(that would defeat the purpose of buying a rub Huh :-?:-?)

Last edited:
used the rub on a boneless pork loin the other night- there are all kinds of smells going on when you open the bag- cumin and a sweetness from possibly nutmeg or cinnamon- I think it needed a little more heat, and a touch more salt for my taste- the wife liked it just as it is- going to try on some chicken and ribs this weekend again thanks for the sample- will get to you after this weekends cook

Thanks for the review...... I personally like everything superhot ( i grow Naga Morichs and Bhut Jolokia in the backyard) so i tend to be extremely light with pepper cause most i know cant handle it.....i should realize that some of the heat will tame after cooking....but kinda afraid of making it too hot for the masses......

I always knew i would have to add more salt as most of the commercial rubs ive tasted have a far more pronounced salt taste than mine....but i wanted to have people try it as is....

there are going to be some tweaks .....i "treat" meat that i'm cooking before hand with salt and other things.....but i do realize now that a person purchasing a rub would probably sprinkle straight from the bottle and not think to add additional(that would defeat the purpose of buying a rub Huh :-?:-?)

I agree with you completely. I am the same way with the spices. I can't even judge the heat of things anymore. I say it is completely spice-less and my wife is chugging chocolate milk to tame it after I convinced her to try it. So, truth be told, it may be spicier than I think too.

I imagine that when buying a rub, I am not purchasing the spices so much as the research and development into finding that perfect balance of flavors that is going to impress the guests. I imagine that the rub creator would be like an artist, insulted that you hung the picture the wrong direction. In order to get what I paid for, I would need to leave it as it is. Otherwise, by tweaking it I am altering your intended flavor profile and I might as well make my own. Ya digg?

So I agree, if I bought a rub, I would use it as is. If after buying it, it needed more salt to make it taste better, I would probably look for a different brand and not even consider tweaking it to my liking.

I think you have really done the hard part. The rub is a GREAT base flavor profile. Its balanced, BBQ-y, and unique. It just needs some intensity. I would normally just use more (more spice = more intensity right?) but I piled it on. I didn't even use the whole bag cause the butt will only hold so much rub (it was 4 lbs). I think salt will be key (maybe a smoked salt :wink:) and a little bit of kick. Once you get the right salt mixture, you can make products of varying degrees of heat to suite your market. I think you are right there.

Intensity... just a bit.

If you want, I'll be happy to save what I have (a little bit less than a third of the bag) and when you adjust the recipe... snail mail me some (the cheap way this time please... you know $.44 and an envelope) and I'll compare.

Thanks again. I'm still eating the pulled pork... as a matter of fact I need to go heat up a sammich for me self:-D

I've been testing some more over the past few days since I made the pork butt over the weekend and like some of the other reviews I'm still thinking it lacks that punch or pazzaz or whatever it is it needs to be set apart from other everyday rubs. Again the flavor is good it's just lacking "something". Of course there are regional differences in tastes for people so what I might think it needs might be too much for someone else. I was joking over dinner tonight that if food isn't spicy then I can't taste it. Just a joke of course but living in California everything is spicy. I was thinking of adding some salt, garlic and dried chipotle peppers to see if I can turn it up a notch. As it sits now it's just not holding up to the foods I'm cooking.

Last night I made some fish tacos. Thinking the rub was light on flavor I figured I would make something light like fish to go with it. Again the flavors of the sauce I made (cilantro, jalapeno, oinion, avocado, tomato, olive oil, salt/pepper) washed out the flavor of the rub. Overall the dish tasted great but the rub was a non factor in the dish.

Pic for proof:

DSC02251.jpg

Thanks again for letting me try it. Once chicken goes on sale I'll try on that as well. Bon Appetite!

i haven't tried it yet but i definitely smelled nutmeg when i opened the ups pkg. as far as salt goes,i use some in my rub but after cooking for people w/ high blood pressure & other conditions for years i don't cook w/ salt. if they want salt they can add it on the plate. i think the trend nowdays is lower salt/sodium content & no chemicals/msg etc. etc. i'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow.

Mine showed up Monday. I must ditto the thanks for the generous portion. While I haven't tried it other than a dip of my finger, the stuff smells and tastes wonderful. It boasts a ton a flavor although I, like BBS, immediately noticed the absence of salt. I recently tinkered with rub and backed way down on the salt, to which after trying other rubs I ended up adding salt after the first couple tries. I think it's better now. My first thought is that this is a chicken and chop rub. It will go on chicken this weekend.

Back