Cast Iron collectors. Please help.

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Craig
Moderators, feel free to move this if it's not in the right place.

I recently scored some vintage iron from a flea market.
All the pieces I've been able to identify except this one.
It's heavy and thick like a new Lodge. It has no markings at all to give me a clue to who made it.

From the top, there's no identifying markings as to the size pan. It is just less than 10 inches across the top.

And from the bottom. Again, no markings. The heat ring indicates that it's old since they quit putting that feature on pans in the 40s (I think).
Also there are no distinguishing features to the handle that would be an indication

It's a lot heavier than any of my other old iron. So I think it's destined to be my grilling pan.

No idea but i have newer pans with rings on the bottom, only reason I have not bought a stove with a glass top

No name cast iron is not unusual. Does not mean it's foreign. Possibly and often USA prior to country of origin markins being required.

The handle
The handle hole (teardrop, round, square etc)
Top of skillet where handle connects
Bottom of handle where handle connects
Pour spouts
Heat ring

Lodge, Wagner, Griswold, when they merged Burlington all made unmarked skillets. But they didn't re tool the whole skillet, just omitted markings.

It can be fun to uncover heritage

Good luck

Link to article regarding unmarked cast iron

https://southerncastiron.com/find-made-cast-iron/

Last edited:
Yeah I have an old Lodge from before the days when they blasted their name all over it. The heat ring has three notches and it has the number 8 stamped in the bottom.
My "unbranded Wagner" has some markings telling the size of the pan. Same with the BSR pan plus it has the interesting shape to the underside of the handle like you mentioned.

This pan has nothing. I'm just curious.

I have my grandmother's old cast iron chicken fryer (deep skillet). No name. No lettering at all. Probably from the 1920s, purchased somewhere in central Wisconsin. I cannot imagine it came from Asia.

Most probably old American but you won't ever get a precise ID.

The sides of the skillet don't look as steep as they often do. Might be an optical illusion.

seattlepitboss

Back