ET-732 testimonials (probe issues)

I've only used my ET-732 4 or 5 times, with no Problems. I hadn't read anything about probe issues. I'll see what happens as I use it more. I'm very careful when running the probe wires through the hole in the smoker and when washing them. I think mis-handling is probably how most thermos are killed. I know I've done it to 4 or 5 cheapies, that's why I thought I'd try the maverick. As for the range... Unless you're running to the corner store to get more adult beverages, I don't think you'll have any issues. I've walked to my mailbox (70 - 80 yards away) and still had a signal. The only time I lost a signal was when I had the receiver next to my computer. I picked it up and walked about 10 feet away and it re-syncronized.
My .02

Also if you piss down people neck you can make them believe it raining.

I hope you aren't as negative and miserable in your everyday life, as you are on here :crazy:

I am asking that all the negative comments/karma ends immediately. :doh:

This thread is one more nasty post to be removed.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter.

Mike

Steve,

Can you tell me if the probe issue has been resolved? I am looking into purchasing one of these units. I have a Cheap unit that I got from lowes a year or so ago, that is working fine, but it does not have the wireless remote. Thanks for any input on this.

Chris
Chris

I did the math today at the store. Less than 1% of the units we have sold have we had a customer with a probe issue. I do not think there was a exact problem with the probes. If that was the case I would have had a few thousand phone calls.

I had an issue with the BBQ temp probe during the first cook. A quick inspection showed that it was a construction issue. I called Maverick and they mailed a new one to me free of charge.

I have cooked with my 732 at least 15 times, probably more like 20, and I have had no issues since receiving the replacement probe.

I feel the service I received was good but not great. It took a long time for the replacement probe to arrive.

Would I buy another Maverick product? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes again.

Chris

I did the math today at the store. Less than 1% of the units we have sold have we had a customer with a probe issue. I do not think there was a exact problem with the probes. If that was the case I would have had a few thousand phone calls.

I am one of those customers. I have had no issues with the 732 I got from Steve. Admittedly I am a bit rough on the probes too. I know to not submerge them in water and all but I have occasionally had them hanging out of the top of the UDS when I close the lid or left them inside a cooker exposed to some flare ups after I have take meat off and left the lid open. Still with this moderate "abuse" they still work.

Steve,

Thanks... are there any big box stores that sell the 732 or will I need to purchase online?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My 732 came U.P.S Yesterday !:clap2:
This morning I was able to play with it a bit.I turned the unit on and both probe temps Had the same reading after a few minutes.So I decided to give her the old ice bath and boil check.
I was able to get a reading of 34 degrees in the ice on both probes and 212 on both in the boiling water.
The alarms also went off on both test for to hot or to cold,So far so good.
I have to read the instructions a bit more to learn how to set alarm temps.
At this point I am very happy that I bought this unit and look forward to putting it to good use.

My 732 came U.P.S Yesterday !:clap2:
This morning I was able to play with it a bit.I turned the unit on and both probe temps Had the same reading after a few minutes.So I decided to give her the old ice bath and boil check.
I was able to get a reading of 34 degrees in the ice on both probes and 212 on both in the boiling water.
The alarms also went off on both test for to hot or to cold,So far so good.
I have to read the instructions a bit more to learn how to set alarm temps.
At this point I am very happy that I bought this unit and look forward to putting it to good use.

I just used mine for the first time yesterday and i was very happy with what i saw. I am so excited for you. have fun with it.

I just used mine for the first time yesterday and i was very happy with what i saw. I am so excited for you. have fun with it.
Thx man..Good vibes your way !! :thumb:
My first run will be in a few days when I have off work,thinking ribs and my first fatty with mozzarella cheese,mushrooms,onions and green peppers.
I'm reading Myron Mixons new book Right now, that I also ordered,this dude is funny as hell.

Thx man..Good vibes your way !! :thumb:
My first run will be in a few days when I have off work,thinking ribs and my first fatty with mozzarella cheese,mushrooms,onions and green peppers.
I'm reading Myron Mixons new book Right now, that I also ordered,this dude is funny as hell.
oh great!! thanks alot!! now i have another book i need to read. lol that is awsome.well i look forward to hearing how it all turns out. i used mine on the grill since i just couldn't wait. tomorrow i will be doing some chicken to get used to the NBBD so we will see how it goes on all aspects.

oh great!! thanks alot!! now i have another book i need to read. lol that is awsome.well i look forward to hearing how it all turns out. i used mine on the grill since i just couldn't wait. tomorrow i will be doing some chicken to get used to the NBBD so we will see how it goes on all aspects.
Yea,It's a really nice book,quit happy with it.The book is a nice size,full gloss pages and a great read,better yet it's like 40% off on Amazon for 12.10 !:thumb:

ET-732 Probe Issues

I've had the 732 for a few months and overall, it's great. I never lose signal even when about 50 yards away from the smoker. Unfortunately, my food probe just developed an issue causing it to read about 20 degrees too high with a lot of variability. I think this was caused by moisture getting into the probe from where it connects to the wire as I use a water pan in my smoker. I think when I moved my ribs, the wire fell into the water pan and then ran down into the probe/wire junction.

After that, it started reading high and I haven't been able to fix it. I tried heating it up to around 500 degrees to drive the water out, but that didn't fix anything. This problem is probe-specific as the barbecue probe still works perfectly if I swap places in the transmitter.

I'll try to call the company today and let you guys know what they say.

I think moisture at the junction of the probe and the wire is a common problem with almost all brands of probes.
I know I occasionally trash a Taylor probe that gets dunked by mistake.

I am thinking some 800 deg RTV on that joint might do a world of good.
Should seal it up just fine.

Gonna try it on a Taylor probe before my Maveric arrives.

Just a thought.

TIM

Tim, I think that's a great idea. If probes in general have this issue it would seem that a broader industry solution would be have been implemented already. Maybe there's a need for it to breathe?

If you try this successfully maybe let us know.

As an aside, if Maverick or other wanted to make a super version (weathertight, very high temp probes, greater distance) and charged twice as much I'd get one.

Last edited:
I think moisture at the junction of the probe and the wire is a common problem with almost all brands of probes.
I know I occasionally trash a Taylor probe that gets dunked by mistake.

I am thinking some 800 deg RTV on that joint might do a world of good.
Should seal it up just fine.

Gonna try it on a Taylor probe before my Maveric arrives.

Just a thought.

TIM

if it works please let the rest of us know as we might all like to do it then

Just talked to Maverick today and they were very helpful! They are sending me a new food probe tomorrow, free of charge.

They didn't even ask for the old probe back. I think they have probably figured out the common causes of failure. It was about a 30 second phone call. They just asked how long ago I purchased the product and then my address to send me a new probe. They were polite and helpful.

Hmmm. I called them just a week ago and they insisted I send the old one back. So I did. Called them today and left a message with a warm body. No reply. They've had the probe a couple days so there's probably one on its way to me and they simply havent't told me.

Back