THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delpo

Name or Nickame
Delpo
Learning to use a new pit is equal measure excitement and frustration. Temperature control while smoking on the 48 is still a challenge. Getting the charcoal snake to behave is like fluting to a cobra. One moment you're relaxed after a few hours cruising along steady at 258 and ten minutes later you're roaring at 300 because the fire jumped a double barrier of 2 by 2 steel. One thing for sure though is that the Assassin produces super clean smoke very easily. The smoke coming out of the Assassin is a tasty seasoning that highlights the meats instead of overpowering them. Good eats.

Well keep trying new tools to manage temp during smoking.. It will surely be a fun road.

Those are great smokers and I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I haven't found a need for a snake system but many people use them.

I notice that most of the barrier for snakes used in the Assassin are 2" steel channel. Bricks won't conduct heat as well as steel so, maybe, less likely for the snake to jump over.

Learning to use a new pit is equal measure excitement and frustration. Temperature control while smoking on the 48 is still a challenge. Getting the charcoal snake to behave is like fluting to a cobra. One moment you're relaxed after a few hours cruising along steady at 258 and ten minutes later you're roaring at 300 because the fire jumped a double barrier of 2 by 2 steel. One thing for sure though is that the Assassin produces super clean smoke very easily. The smoke coming out of the Assassin is a tasty seasoning that highlights the meats instead of overpowering them. Good eats.

Well keep trying new tools to manage temp during smoking.. It will surely be a fun road.

Do tell more about the entire experience. Temps, purchase, everything I am very interested in this grill/smoker.

I notice that most of the barrier for snakes used in the Assassin are 2" steel channel. Bricks won't conduct heat as well as steel so, maybe, less likely for the snake to jump over.

Interesting. Did not even consider that the source of the jump over was the heat from the metal. Thought that it was airborne pieces from the smoldering wood chunks. I'll try next time leaving space open on both sides of the barrier. Finding bricks in Puerto Rico is even harder than finding hardwoods for smoking!

That sounds like the same experience I have when trying to smoke anything on my Hasty Bake Legacy. I've tried many different methods of charcoal setup and it seems like something always goes wrong.

Back