THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nathan1

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
nathan1
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an Assassin 48 with dual front fire boxes and split SS tubular grates (Peter B based design). I am coming from a Performer kettle and WSM for my grilling and smoking needs and hoping to consolidate down to the single 48.

What is it like grilling on the Assassin compared to a kettle? I primarily grill and like to sear a steak and then finish it indirect (sometimes reverse sear). Royal Oak and wood chunks are my primary fuel, banked towards the back of the bowl. Kettle lid is generally reading around ~600F when I cook like this.

Can anyone that went from Kettle -> Assassin 48 speak to the grilling experience? Does it require much more fuel to get the same amount of cook? Anything I should be worried about/hard to adjust to?

Can you 100% snuff the coals by closing everything up on the Assassin, leaving behind coals for the next cook?

Any advice or recommended build addons are appreciated!

Thanks!

I moved from 22" kettle to a used 36" center exhaust with V-pan. My kettle ran very hot (due to damaged lid). To get the same heat, I use 1/2 to 1 more chimney of kingsford. With the same size load, I get much longer burn time. 3 chimney is the max load that I have needed, even for a load like 8 butts. I'm guessing I could fit 5 chimney on the tray.

I can snuff coals out, but not 100%. I think with flywheel modification, it could be increased. However, I do not see the need, as I just pull the charcoal pan out and separate the hot from the unlit then snuff.

I moved from 22" kettle to a used 36" center exhaust with V-pan. My kettle ran very hot (due to damaged lid). To get the same heat, I use 1/2 to 1 more chimney of kingsford. With the same size load, I get much longer burn time. 3 chimney is the max load that I have needed, even for a load like 8 butts. I'm guessing I could fit 5 chimney on the tray.

I can snuff coals out, but not 100%. I think with flywheel modification, it could be increased. However, I do not see the need, as I just pull the charcoal pan out and separate the hot from the unlit then snuff.

Thanks the feedback!

Looks like you still have a 22” Kettle - do you still use that or has the Assassin completely replaced it for grilling too? it seems like people have loved the Assassin for smoking and grilling but most talk about it in the smoking context. Do you think I would miss my 22” for just basic grilling?

my only concern would be the distance of the charcoal to the cooking grate on the assassin which means the sear on the assassin may not be as intense as the kettle. My concerns may not be warranted though because I’ve never cooked on one and have just seen cooking vids of the assassin grilling. Anyone who can compare the kettle searing ability to assassin can chime in. I’m interested in that as well

Nathan - Have you considered grill that gives you ability to raise and lower either the charcoal grate or the food grate? I eventually figured out that was key feature for my grill upgrade.

Although I have never cooked on an Assassin, I have cooked on many different charcoal grills/smokers including cookers that are not radically different from the Assassin (i.e. Hasty Bakes, M Grills M1). I have also done a ton of grilling on kamado grills. That said, I no longer have any of them. The only charcoal grill I now have is my 26.75” Weber kettle. It’s kind of funny and was way expensive, but after having gone for the greener grass, I have come back to where I started only to realize why the Weber kettle is the #1 selling charcoal grill in the world. They are built to last, they are super simple, they are extremely versatile, fantastic bang for your buck and they just flat out cook! Not knocking the Assassin whatsoever, but have you considered the 26.75” kettle?

Last edited:
OK, I have too many cookers. But my go to grilling machine lately is my Hasty Bake is scored on craigs for 100.00 I added some grill grates and I love the ability to raise or lower the fire. Kinda reverse santa maria grill.

Although I have never cooked on an Assassin, I have cooked on many different charcoal grills/smokers including cookers that are not radically different from the Assassin (i.e. Hasty Bakes, M Grills M1). I have also done a ton of grilling on kamado grills. That said, I no longer have any of them. The only charcoal grill I now have is my 26.75” Weber kettle. It’s kind of funny and was way expensive, but after having gone for the greener grass, I have come back to where I started only to realize why the Weber kettle is the #1 selling charcoal grill in the world. They are built to last, they are super simple, they are extremely versatile, fantastic bang for your buck and they just flat out cook! Not knocking the Assassin whatsoever, but have you considered the 26.75” kettle?

This is my greatest fear. I have nightmares about having a 600lb+ Assassin in my backyard and not enjoying it like I do my Kettle. For some reason, I'm obsessed with trying to merge my smoker and grill, since grilling almost always follows my smoking, but I have limited space in my yard. Perhaps my dream is hard to realize. Staying with the Weber family is definitely an option, I was hoping to find someone that had switched and stayed but it sounds like are the closest to that and you stuck with Weber.

It really is hard to beat the Vortex on a Kettle.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Nathan - Have you considered grill that gives you ability to raise and lower either the charcoal grate or the food grate? I eventually figured out that was key feature for my grill upgrade.

I have and I liked the M1 for this but I really want to be able to service the coals/water pan/ash tray without removing food/grates. The M1 has great serviceability for smoking but less so for grilling. I was hoping that placing the Assassin charcoal pan in the water pan slot would get be much closer, but I'm still not entirely clear on how far I'd be for the sear vs. a Kettle.

If the M1 had a similar slotted setup for the grill side of things, that would be the one, no question. I spoke to Travis@MGrills about the M1 and he said this is a requested feature but he believes it compromises too much of the seal, so the design remains.

The Hasty Bake was also like a solid design but the gauge of the metal and the leakage put me off.

Switching from kettle to Assassin 48

I just made that switch after a decade on the Weber Performer. Still learning as with the crazy Chicago spring haven't got as many cooks in as I would normally but a few points I have figured out already. One the split SS rod bottom grate worth every penny. I did confirm with Jeff that with those grates you can move the charcoal tray up and that would put it similar to how I used to do in the kettle banked to one side. You will not be able to do that with a front load configuration though only side door access.

I will say though I haven't found the need to move that charcoal tray up since I am using a mix of lump and briquettes. I hated lump in the kettle because all those small pieces fell through charcoal grate but that doesn't happen with the assassin. The extra heat from the lump more than makes up for added distance. Side note I have also started just lighting charcoal directly in the grill. Two Weber starter cubes with some lump right next to them will light a that mix of briquettes and lump in 15 min. I know I was using chimney in the picture but don't think I will use any more.

As someone else said above you can save some charcoal but not all so learning how much to put in. BBQ Freak gave the suggestion in another thread to spread all of the charcoal out when you are done and then shut all the vents which I have been doing and it works well.

Bottom line I am thrilled with the purchase thus far. The space and versatility was unmatched in the price range. I am still learning on it and lurk on the forum way more than I post but had to chime in on my experience so far

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_142738.jpg
    IMG_20190416_142738.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20190416_163334.jpg
    IMG_20190416_163334.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 407
Smoking on assassin 48

Regarding smoking on the Assassin only one cook so far which was a pork butt I did hot and fast as around 300 for 7 hours which turned out great. I have the split pans so can't run a long snake like the BBQ Freak videos so did more of a doughnut setup and added small amounts of fuel a few times. Not sure that is the best method for true low and slow but I prefer doing 275-300 so worked for me. Cooker held fairly steady but even with the Vpan was was about a 40 degree difference between sides of the unit. I took one of the split rod grates out though and just slid the grate with the pork from side to side when I needed to. Lots for me to learn still with this unit and personally I enjoy trying new technique but was very helpful to have that temperature difference and be able to so easily move the food with actually touching it. Allowed me to still get great end results and learning experience at the same time

I did confirm with Jeff that with those grates you can move the charcoal tray up and that would put it similar to how I used to do in the kettle banked to one side. You will not be able to do that with a front load configuration though only side door access.

Your grill looks like what I am looking to build, except front loading and side tables. I was told by Rachel@Assassin that I would be able to put the charcoal tray in the upper slot, were you told differently?

Any chance you could provide a measurement from the top of the bottom cooking grate to the bottom of charcoal pan, if it is in the first slot and the 2nd slot? My Performer is 5".

I use lump exclusively in my Performer and use double charcoal grates in opposing directions to deal with all of the stones and small pieces in the Royal Oak. Took me a few charcoal clean out replacements to figure this fix out.

Do you find that you need to use more charcoal to get the indirect temp similar to what you had in the kettle? It seems like with the Assassin, I can either go to the side or up to get an indirect, so I'm thinking there must be some place in the volume that gets me a similar cook. When you are high heat grilling (if you do), what temps do you see on the thermometers you have in the lid?

Is the lid easy to put up and down or does it require a bit of muscle?

Thanks for all of the very helpful information!

…. Do you think I would miss my 22” for just basic grilling?
I have not used it since getting the Assassin 36". I do more grilling than smoking. Just remove the v-pan and your about 8" vs 6" from the briquets, no biggie for me. But I really need the capacity. I never just cook one thing (say burgers), as I always also try to do 2+ side dish (potatoes, corn, plus asparagus/brussel sprouts or cabbage or romaine or fatty or wings, or ABT or moinks etc).

I've never felt the need, but I envision that you could run a snake, then have a pile at the end for searing. For grilling I just have a long pile (i.e. 6" wide 18" long). For longer cook (butts/briskets), I've done a down and back snake and had plenty of time. Doing BBQFreak style snake would get me even longer cook times.

Tonight's ribs (and sweet potatoes and 2 corned points for pastrami sandwiches later in the week):

58461417_2180853961979641_2933858298375438336_n.jpg

Last edited:

What this guy said^^^^^^^^^^^^. I had a katrina damaged weber that finally gave up the ghost and bought a egg......or maybe laid one. I just don’t get the fascination with the egg except for extreme heat and virtually no ash clean up. As far as cooking ease, capacity ect....the weber was way ahead ....and as the Allman Brothers sang (I’m back where it all began)....The Weber Kettle

Last edited:
Your grill looks like what I am looking to build, except front loading and side tables. I was told by Rachel@Assassin that I would be able to put the charcoal tray in the upper slot, were you told differently?

Any chance you could provide a measurement from the top of the bottom cooking grate to the bottom of charcoal pan, if it is in the first slot and the 2nd slot? My Performer is 5".

I use lump exclusively in my Performer and use double charcoal grates in opposing directions to deal with all of the stones and small pieces in the Royal Oak. Took me a few charcoal clean out replacements to figure this fix out.

Do you find that you need to use more charcoal to get the indirect temp similar to what you had in the kettle? It seems like with the Assassin, I can either go to the side or up to get an indirect, so I'm thinking there must be some place in the volume that gets me a similar cook. When you are high heat grilling (if you do), what temps do you see on the thermometers you have in the lid?

Is the lid easy to put up and down or does it require a bit of muscle?

Thanks for all of the very helpful information!

I would confirm with Jeff on moving the charcoal tray up with the front load configuration. I believe he told me it wouldn't work over the phone because there wasn't enough height in that front door. I could be wrong though I was always leaning towards the side doors so didn't spend much time discussing front load. I would highly recommend talking to Jeff directly at least once just to iron out any details he is not an email guy he wants to talk to you directly but great guy to deal with.

For high heat I have buried the needle on the thermometer using just one chimney with a mix of KBB and B&B lump. That was with the charcoal tray in the normal middle slot. I will try and measure for you if I get a chance but I believe it is on another Assassin thread and the answer was 8 in. It is a deep charcoal tray though and you can build a 4" mound easily.

I haven't found the need for more charcoal for indirect what I have found is I have more heat zones and more setup options. Note that even the split charcoal tray is huge basically 2ft by 2ft and you can mound the charcoal off to one side of that. For example I did brats the other night charcoal mounded on only half of the right side charcoal tray with no vpan and cooked the brats on the right side grate indirect. Basically exact same set up as you would have on a kettle with charcoal banked to one side. I had some veggies on the top rack as well. The entire left side of the cooker was cooler but I didn't need for that cook. I did another cook with a dozen chicken thighs plus a dozen chicken legs which all fit easily on one of those split SS rod grates. Same amount of charcoal but I spread it out more and used the V Pan which even the temps out between the two sides much more. I had corn and asparagus across the top rack which finished quicker than I am used to so still learning how to use it.

Bottom line depends how much your trying to cook if you need more fuel. That 48 has more cooking space than 4 kettles combined so if your filling it all with meat and need even temps throughout I would assume you need more fuel. For me I wanted the additional space so I can cook the entire meal at once on the grill meaning all the veggies and sides and for that purpose I haven't found the need for more charcoal other than I don't save as much at the end.

I spoke to Jeff, what a great guy and fun to chat with. He took me off my cloud and told me to buy the 36", not the 48", which is far too large for my needs. I also confirmed with him that the new design allows for the charcoal tray in either slot. Apparently it is 9" and 6" respectively (cooking grate to bottom of tray, depending on slot). He also said that he can burn some meat no problem and get the cooker as hot as he wants it.

He did say that for high sears, the standard expanded metal isn't going to work out for me but I was planning on getting the rounded stainless (split) anyway, so I'm good.

I sure hope I have no buyers remorse, but if I do, it would certainly have nothing to do with their customer service. Very nice folks there.

I spoke to Jeff, what a great guy and fun to chat with. He took me off my cloud and told me to buy the 36", not the 48", which is far too large for my needs. I also confirmed with him that the new design allows for the charcoal tray in either slot. Apparently it is 9" and 6" respectively (cooking grate to bottom of tray, depending on slot). He also said that he can burn some meat no problem and get the cooker as hot as he wants it.

He did say that for high sears, the standard expanded metal isn't going to work out for me but I was planning on getting the rounded stainless (split) anyway, so I'm good.

I sure hope I have no buyers remorse, but if I do, it would certainly have nothing to do with their customer service. Very nice folks there.

Sweet! Look forward to seeing more and hearing whatcha think :)

Glad you got a chance to talk to Jeff he is alot of fun to talk with. No question the 48 is bigger than I need but I figured I had the space for it and the price is truly only 100 more meaning the SS grates and shipping was the same either way so I just went big.

Back