Loaded the Assassin

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
It’s been a bit since I posted a new thread since re-deploying and moving. So I figured my first post as a 1SG should be a big one. My commander and I decided to throw our company a holiday party tomorrow and I volunteered to smoke the meat. My senior ncos and officers pitched in and bought 12 pork butts totaling 113 pounds. It completely filled the 48” Assassin, but they all fit. Staying up tonight to finish by 5 am for their rest. We’re feeding our Soldiers at 11. I’ll post follow up tomorrow!

Last edited:
That’s a butt load of butts for deserving men and women. Good on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YOWZER,,,,
That’s a trunk load of meat,,,,
Sounds like good times will be had by all !!!!

The web of temp probes is sweet.:grin:

I noticed that myself. I'm glad he is keeping tabs on it and not me. I don't think my brain could sort all of that out, especially at 5 am. I hope everyone eats well and leaves happy!!

This is awesome, Jeffry.

I'm sure you're holes and elbows trying to get everyone fed and out the door for the weekend with the standard safety brief included.

Hope it went smoothly and deliciously.

Loved the way the assassin performed, but it ate through charcoal. And the lack of grease drain REALLY sucks. Makes it so hard to clean

Loved the way the assassin performed, but it ate through charcoal. And the lack of grease drain REALLY sucks. Makes it so hard to clean

I purchased this guy about a year ago. I have not spent the cook time on it that I have hoped to, maybe four or five cooks. I bought it for a smoker more than a grill and have only used it for smoking; V-Pan and a snake charcoal, have not used the water pan.

Grease management is a nightmare, Exxon Valdez under the ash pan. That is a drag but I still like it, gives up a good product dinner wise. Charcoal usage, I put a row of red bricks up the middle of the fire pan, coals snaked on both sides and get a good time of fire from 18 pounds of brickets + wood chunks, holds an even 250 degree for 12 hours, I love that.

Never used it as a grill or with water pan. My take is it will be a great gill should I go that way. The water pan, it weighs about 20 pounds empty, good luck with dealing with that when dumping with another some pounds of water and grease; wear slickers.

That all sounds negative, it is, but it is a very good smoker, large capacity, dials in temperature easily and stays there, yields a great smoke taste. I have not used it as a grill, I bet it is great in that usage.

I do not regret the purchase, would buy it again, good capacity and fuel usage, good smoke taste. Also good price point and great people to interact with. If you want a Unicorn, well, bite me.

Loved the way the assassin performed, but REALLY sucks. Makes it so hard to clean
i hear you on the cleanup and i just did mine every three cooks but a great smoker / grill . You said you went through a lot of charcoal and did you do the snake method down and back ? i could get 12 hours cooks on my 48 that i had and by the way the food looks great .

i hear you on the cleanup and i just did mine every three cooks but a great smoker / grill . You said you went through a lot of charcoal and did you do the snake method down and back ? i could get 12 hours cooks on my 48 that i had and by the way the food looks great .

Yeah. The cooker is amazing. Clean up sucks, but it’s a trade-off I guess. I used a piece of metal tubing and snaked it up and back. I didn’t bother stacking it or making it look pretty. Used 18 pounds. Had smoker to temp at 5:00. I wrapped at 11:00 and the charcoal was at the stack end. When I woke up again at 4 the pit was completely out of fuel and 138 degrees. At 2:00 it was 225 and just trended downward from there. A pic of the FireBoard is attached. Most were done at that point, but I needed to finish 4 on my Yoder. The spike is when the lid was open and I was wrapping. Butts were probably my best ones yet.

Last edited:
Back