THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official entry!

Seared Ahi Tuna.
I have such a hard time cooking a good piece of fish like this but I know it has to touch the grill in order to qualify for the throwdown. So here it goes.

Tuna
IMG_7817_zps7e16cbb8.jpg

Seasoning And Searing.
Seasoned and put on a charcoal starter with a grill over it for about 45 seconds on each side.
IMG_7825_zps74c66b42.jpg

Plated With Gornish.:becky: Please use this photo as the money shot!
IMG_7838_zps36534edf.jpg

This was incredible!
Thanks for looking!

My official entry...

So, some of you farkers lived in Japan, or near Japan, and landarc is Japanese. I worked my way through graduate obedience school as a Hibachi cook at the absolute pinnacle of Japanese cuisine -- Benihana.

picture.php

So, I hope landarc will not disembowel himself in shame when I beat him in this throwdown, but I feel I must play the Benihana card. :cool: I think you would, too, if you could. :becky:

I am honor bound not to reveal the Benihana secret recipes, but I'll share what I can. Here we have the prep tray.

picture.php

I don't have the benefit of the Benihana flat-top table, so I have to make due with an 18.5 OTG and a big cast iron pan.

picture.php

First up, some Benihana fried rice. Ya' gotta' have that.

picture.php

Then we have the signature Benihana Hibachi Steak and Mushrooms.

picture.php

And we finish the cook with some Benihana Shrimp.

picture.php

I serve it all up with some Benihana Ginger Dipping Sauce and Benihana Magic Mustard. Here is the money shot.

picture.php

CD

Where's the Onion Volcano? Well? Where?!

I dunno, first Ray is submitting something that is not even cooked, and a faux-Benihana!

Although, nice cooks there fellas

Chicken Teriyaki and Kinpira with a twist.

Please accept this as my official entry into the Japanese Throwdown.

I started out making on of my favorite marinades. 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sake, 1/4 cup miran, 1/4 cup agave syrup, 1" grated fresh ginger, 1/2 yellow onion grated finely, and 4 cloves pressed garlic.

Stir well with a wisk to distribute the goodness.

To this I added 1/2 bone in/skin on chicken breast, halved and 1 bone in/skin on thigh and leg.

Put on the top and vacuum marinated it in my FoodSaver.

Prepped some carrots on the mandolin for my Kinpira.

Thinly sliced celery stalks, leeks, broccoli stalks, and toasted some black and white sesame seeds.

Fired up the Kamado for direct heat and went to work.

When the chicken pieces were nicely browned and had reached an internal temperature of 140, I pulled them of and wrapped them in foil to rest.

Set-up the wok and added a bit of sesame oil and sauteed the carrots.

Then the remainder of the veggies and some mirin, sake, and soy sauce.

Removed the Kinpira from the wok and wiped it out and fried the chicken pieces to complete the cooking and crisp up the skin.

Added 1/2 cup of the marinade to the wok and reduced the sauce off of the heat, the wok was way hot!

Plated with white rice topped with toasted coconut, and Kinpira.

Please use this as my polling pic.

Thanks for looking! I'll keep on cookin!

Jed

Last edited:
Back