THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This my entry in the throwdown.

Cook thread can be found here (link)

Please use this as my entry photo
xlze.jpg

***PLEASE NOTE... DATE CHANGE***

Thanks to a suggestion by CD, we have decided to extend this throwdown by one day to allow folks to enter cooks done on the US Labor Day holiday

Shrimp, yakisoba noodles an sauce!

Official entry!

I decided to enter the Japanese Dish ThrowDown. After having a private message exchange with one of the veteran faurkanuts, name withheld to protect the innocent. I decided to proceed with the shrimp and yakisoba noodle dish.

Note: Another reason not to name the veteran was because I cannot seem to follow simple cooking directions.

I came up with a recipe for the sauce through google which I liberally adjusted for no real reason.

5 tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
4 tablespoons soy sauce
5 teaspoons ketchup-Substituted (Sambal Oelek Chili Paste) just a little HOT!
4 teaspoons Oyster Sauce
5 teaspoons Sugar (only had brown sugar)

I pulled out any ingredient that may have a hint of Asian consideration.

Cabbage, carrots and a leek. I didn't have a green onion.

In go the shrimp after being coated in baking soda.

Added the sauce mixture, brought to a bubble, then added the veggies and noodles. Tossed for a couple of minutes to get the sauce evenly distributed.

Plated and ready to eat! My official entry photo below!

Thanks for looking... This was very good, though a little hot from the chili paste. Maybe next time I will cut it to 2-3 teaspoons of chili paste and 2-3 of ketchup.
Also, I am not sure it is truly Japanese, but it is the closest effort I have made to date.

:oops: I did forget to wash it off.

The taste was pretty good, just a little hot from the chili paste. It did have a bit of an edge, but i couldn't put my finger on it. I think it was likely either the oyster sauce or the baking soda?

Loved the shrimp, noodles and veggies...just need to work on the sauce and following directions. Thanks for the tips, in spite of my follow through.

:oops: I did forget to wash it off.

The taste was pretty good, just a little hot from the chili paste. It did have a bit of an edge, but i couldn't put my finger on it. I think it was likely either the oyster sauce or the baking soda?

Loved the shrimp, noodles and veggies...just need to work on the sauce and following directions. Thanks for the tips, in spite of my follow through.

There's another name for it. MSG. :becky:

If you didn't wash the baking soda off, then it was likely that, it has a metallic edge, combined with shrimp and oyster sauce, no bueno.

Good think I didn't give you the instructions with the diluted lye, clearly you need more attention to detail for that one.

Official Japanese Dish TD Entry

Here is my official TD entry for the Japanese Dish cook.

The pellet pooper was not going to work here so I improvised some fire brick, a grill, and and old weber lid. I was impressed with how well I could control the heat moving bricks and the deep and shallow setup on the inside.

View attachment 84329
You gotta have a ton of weird and interesting spices and sauces
View attachment 84330
Definately need some good Japanese beer - Hey Rat, get outa here!
View attachment 84331
Lets get started with the marinade for the beef. Crushing the toasted sesame seeds smelled soo good!, fresh ginger and the mother load of garlic, Teriyaki, bean sauce, and multiple other spices and sauces.
View attachment 84333
Cut up the thin sliced round steak into strips
View attachment 84334
Get it mariading for about 6 hours
View attachment 84335
Gotta whip up a batch of WASABI! Go away Rat - Keeps trying to get the good stuff.
View attachment 84341
Now grill up some chicken wings on the hot side
View attachment 84332
Made up some garlic chile / Sriracha sauce for the chicken
View attachment 84336
Get That chicken all lathered up and soaking in the sweet and spicy sauce!
View attachment 84337
Lets get Grillin - Sesame Teriyaki beef, Lobster, Scallops, and shrimp.
Cook the beef hot and fast and the sea creatures on the low and slow side
View attachment 84339
Beef done and time to get the sea creatures on some higher heat
View attachment 84340
Now lets get that Sriracha chicken back on the grill to set the spices!
View attachment 84338
Lobster finishing up with a little garlic butter wipe down!
View attachment 84342
All plated up with the sesame Teriyaki Beef, Lobster, Scallops, shrimp, WASABI, Garlic / Sriracha Chicken, Rice, Oriental salad, Fresh Oysters, all on a bed of sea weed, and of course some good Kirin Japanese Beer. There's that Rat again!
View attachment 84343
That Rat stole the Beer - no mercy on him the next TD just might be Rat!
View attachment 84344
Thanks for Looking, this was a fun and delicious cook!
View attachment 84345
Please use this last picture as the entry money shot!

SD

Last edited:
Dang,
There is nothing in your money shot I would not eat!:grin:
Im glad the RAT is not in the photo so I could say that!:laugh:
It all looks incredible!:thumb:
Love the homemade grill!:cool:

Smokedawg I love it. Everything looks so good I can't stop licking my screen........cough, cough,m spit, spit............farking rat hair...........

Back