THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Hello all,
I've been wanting to try cooking more the way my grandmother did...she used pork lard for most everything. I remember seeing tubs of it for sale in the grocery store when I was kid, right next to the Crisco (shudder).

These days, I don't see it in any grocery store I got to local...even in the New Orleans area.

So, seeing it online at Amazon, they have the Waygu beef tallow like all the YouTubers are using and the Goya Pork lard there looks to be a decent deal.

It isn't what I'd call cheap. But If I bought a couple of tubs...42oz range....how long. do these last after opening, say in a pantry?
Or, do you need to refrigerate this stuff? I*f so, how long does it last in the fridge?

I'm dying to try some French fries fried in beef tallow, like McDonald's used to be (I loved those things as a child before they changed it)....can you strain and reuse tallow or lard any for frying?

I just have no clue about storage and use of the stuff....hoping someone can help.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Hello all,
I've been wanting to try cooking more the way my grandmother did...she used pork lard for most everything. I remember seeing tubs of it for sale in the grocery store when I was kid, right next to the Crisco (shudder).

These days, I don't see it in any grocery store I got to local...even in the New Orleans area.

So, seeing it online at Amazon, they have the Waygu beef tallow like all the YouTubers are using and the Goya Pork lard there looks to be a decent deal.

It isn't what I'd call cheap. But If I bought a couple of tubs...42oz range....how long. do these last after opening, say in a pantry?
Or, do you need to refrigerate this stuff? I*f so, how long does it last in the fridge?

I'm dying to try some French fries fried in beef tallow, like McDonald's used to be (I loved those things as a child before they changed it)....can you strain and reuse tallow or lard any for frying?

I just have no clue about storage and use of the stuff....hoping someone can help.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne
I have recently been experimenting with Fatworks Leaf Lard (pork) to make empannada dough and like the results much better than hydrogenated lard products. Expensive but I don’t use too often, it can also be strained and reused. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Back