THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pog Mo Thoin

Name or Nickame
Pog
Back when the beef tallow fad started I picked up a container of it via Amazon with grand ideas. It sat around for months and I finally opened it a couple months ago. I have used it once. It has been closed, sealed in the cardboard type container in came in and stored in my pantry which stays reasonably cool but is not a refrigerator. Any idea how long this stuff will hold for? Any insight here is appreciated.

Also, is the tallow, rather than traditional vegetable oil, okay when sauteing vegetables and other foods? I believe it is, I just don't know the flavor profile. I ask in that my wife is very picky and straying from the norm has to be done in secret where she gets the food without knowing how I prepared it.

Thanks for any insight! Slainte!

Long term tallow storage can be a bit of a problem as it will quickly pick up any off flavors in the fridge or freezer.

I have been freezing tallow in small plastic deli containers and then vacuum sealing once they are frozen. Will keep for years in the freezer.

Otherwise, I have noticed off flavors from tallow (or bacon fat) stored in the fridge for more than a few weeks.

Fry hashbrowns with that tallow. Another level of deliciousness. I'll use a little making sausage gravy when there's not a lot of fat rendered. Used it half and half with butter when making dinner rolls. Great results and no overpowering flavors either

Back