Burping the Big Green Egg

I made pizzas in my newly acquired XL BGE yesterday, and was careful to avoid cooking myself, but somehow I did end up pretty badly cooking the felt gasket. I had the egg running at about 650F with the platesetter in place. Can somebody tell me how to avoid cooking these gaskets? I think a new one is going to set me back around $15.

I'd go with a Rutland stove gasket on the bottom only.

Anyone have an extra gasket for my base? Just need one gasket, not the set. I'm embarrassed to say that I set my electric element down on it and burned a spot in it. Now it leaks. Was so pissed. Only cooked on it once for burgers and I burned the gasket by doing something stupid.

Anyone have an extra gasket for my base? Just need one gasket, not the set. I'm embarrassed to say that I set my electric element down on it and burned a spot in it. Now it leaks. Was so pissed. Only cooked on it once for burgers and I burned the gasket by doing something stupid.

DO'OH!

you could just 'patch' the gasket in the two places it burnt instead of replacing the entire gasket. many people run without a gasket and as long as you can maintain low-n-slow temps (~230 grid temp), you should be good to go.

Back