BBQ Exhaustion

Arlin, you answered a riddle for me, I had a pair of tongs that had this weird arrow shaped cut in the handle, just before they widened out, I always wondered why a hole there. Now I know. Thanks for your sacrifice.

Ha! Happy to help!

I started doing an annual BBQ for about 50 people about 4 years ago. After that first time I was ready to call it quits because I was physically beat and it took me days to recover. However, I received so many compliments and requests to be invited again the following year that I decided to give it another go. The next year I knew how to organize my time better and things were a little smoother. The next year it went even smoother and this past year things went so smoothly that I actually had enough time to hang out with my guests and enjoy myself. I am dedicating this next year to learn how to cook hot and fast so I can enjoy next year's big BBQ even more.

It is exhausting and a bit expensive but I see the smiles on people's faces when they come to this party and I know the memories will last a long time so it is worth the effort and loss of sleep to make it happen. Having said that, you need to put your health first. If you are sick and don't have the health for this then there is no shame in taking some time to rest and get healthy.

More than a hobby for me, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I get my wife and kids involved whenever I can, and they enjoy it as well.

Same here. my wife and kids help out a ton. Not sure if they "enjoy" it, but it is a family affair. We tend to eat our big meal at lunch time, so I do a lot of overnight cooks while they get some sleep.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels worn out after a big cook. I'm not about to quit, but from now on I think I'll make it clear that lunch meals are restricted to things that cook in 4 hours or less (chicken, for example). Thanks for all the prayers and concern, my brethren friends. Love the stories.

Yes you have a right to be tired! But me,also with a disability, paralyzed chest down, it helps me get my mind off of pain/disability. Does it not always suck that no mater how much you check with people about coming there are always no shows!! what's even worse is the ones that don't have the courtesy to at least call!!

Back