Salt Basics

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Recently I posted a tutorial on Making Sauerkraut at Home with reference to weighing the salt rather than measuring it.

I've had a lot of inquiries as to why they just can't use Tablespoons of salt rather than taking the time to weight it.

So here is why: A cup of salt isn't just a cup of salt

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Erdlclu8XUhLZpYXpWIFB_O

The Basics of Salt
00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8ErMkDITOarzHi_qtRMtmIOB

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EqHdzoRWU_y0ubDWT8ehvRh

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eo9X5qgkd6auFspZCInum-x

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8Eqzc5E3ZsWA_ew4u0kC0s26

I generally stay away from all online recipes.

However, measuring salt by weight in Grams really is important.

Timely information.

Thanks for the thread Madman.

Sel gris/Celtic has been my favorite for 25 years. Don't bake/make/jar anything in quantity so no need to weigh. Most everyday use is hand applied via a salt grinder.

Bought a pound of Redmond Real Salt based on recommendations here. Tried and don't care for it. Find it bitter, similar to table salt.

I generally stay away from all online recipes.

However, measuring salt by weight in Grams really is important.

Timely information.

Its a given, considering you live in the metric system. Here in the US, we are still living in the stone age.
That said, i work with a lot of other ingredients that require precise measurements like MSG, I+G, yeast extract, sodium phosphate.

Yes... you said it. However, it's really good to be conversant in both systems. I take a degree of pride in being able to roughly covert just about any Imperial measurement to metric, or F to Celcius etc.

Kids today have no clue... even those under 40... no clue.

Yes... you said it. However, it's really good to be conversant in both systems. I take a degree of pride in being able to roughly covert just about any Imperial measurement to metric, or F to Celcius etc.

I just use google to convert. But its important to have a scale that can measure down to 1/10th of a gram for stuff like I+G and Bromelain.
Those are secret weapons i use for comps.

I routinely use Alessi coarse kosher sea salt, which is similar in size to Morton kosher salt.
It's easier to find locally than Diamond salt.
But I wonder about the article categorizing pickling salt as being coarse. In my experience, pickling/canning salt is very fine, similar to table salt but containing no additives or minerals.

Hey Bill, Speaking of below 40, here is a bit of trivia for those uninformed on the metric system. The only temperature that measures the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius is Forty Below. I do not remember the conversion formula for metric to imperial or vice versa, but I do remember that bit of information from college chemistry.

I find it much easier to calculate amounts needed for recipes by using grams for measuring water or spices.

my dad grew up in Montreal...have a small sense of being able t o convert to metric when needed.

But as for cooking, I do appreciate the recipes in grams.

I just use google to convert. But its important to have a scale that can measure down to 1/10th of a gram for stuff like I+G and Bromelain.
Those are secret weapons i use for comps.
For what it's worth, the calculator built into Windows has converters for many things. Left click the 3-line bar at the upper left to access. Use it a lot so keep calculator pinned in the taskbar. I'm sure Apple/Mac has a similar calculator/converter built in.

conver10.jpg

my dad grew up in Montreal...have a small sense of being able t o convert to metric when needed.

But as for cooking, I do appreciate the recipes in grams.
Worked in automotive design all my life. Can do most rough distance & weight conversions from metric to imperial and back in my head.

Never got into baking and/or specific cooking measurements/directions...wing those by eyesight :biggrin1:

My brain still thinks Imperial, but last year I converted all of my sausage recipes to metric and it was a complete game changer.

For what it's worth, the calculator built into Windows has converters for many things. Left click the 3-line bar at the upper left to access. Use it a lot so keep calculator pinned in the taskbar. I'm sure Apple/Mac has a similar calculator/converter built in.

conver10.jpg

Im still using windows 8.1. I refuse to switch to 10 or 11. Not sure that feature is built in.

Hey Bill, Speaking of below 40, here is a bit of trivia for those uninformed on the metric system. The only temperature that measures the same in both Fahrenheit and Celsius is Forty Below. I do not remember the conversion formula for metric to imperial or vice versa, but I do remember that bit of information from college chemistry.

I find it much easier to calculate amounts needed for recipes by using grams for measuring water or spices.

Hey my friend, I can't 'confirm' the -40° equilibrium temps, BUT... I can personally confirm that -31°F is the same as -35°C. So, I'm rolling with science on this one.

https://i.imgur.com/EDOf9X0.jpg

Wayne, One of the few things I remember from college chemistry it that -40 reads the same on either a Celsius thermometer or a Fahrenheit thermometer. I questioned my retention of the supposed knowledge from college that I allegedly acquired and retained and I consulted the ultimate source of unquestionable knowledge of facts, Google! Google proves me right: https://www.calculateme.com/temperature/celsius-to-fahrenheit/-40.

Now as to -31F as your experienced low temperature, you got me beat by 8F degrees and this is a contest that I don't want to win. All in good fun my friend!

All in good fun my friend,

Juggy

Last edited:
Back