BBQ Brethren "Sausage" Throwdown

Hickory Smoked Pepperoni, fresh off the plane water buffalo mozzarella-on the king of crackers.

displayimage.php

Whoa, where's the beer, some Calvados (I'm not a Grappa fan) and a few green olives when you really need them?

nothing wrong with those shots!

by "better" depth of field, do you mean wider or narrower? your camera has both of those, but you need to learn how to control it. all of my shots are flower (macro) or full auto... in the house with the speed flash, i'll shoot in shutter priority.

I think I'm looking for wider depth of field. Been playing with the macro settings today and I'm getting better. Been about 14yrs since photography classes so I'm rusty. This camera is more for point and shoot. I'm looking into getting a digital slr here soon.

Alright, I didn't know if I was going to cook any more sausage this week. I didn't, and I'm going out of town tomorrow. I would like to enter this pic for my official entry in this week's sausage throwdown.

The dish is "Smoked Sausage, Fatty Sampler Platter". All were cooked overnight on Sunday, September 27 2009. The second pic is of the cook. The first pic is my entry pic. Thanks.

Left, Johnsonville Hot Italian bulk sausage, stuffed with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, with oregano and black and red pepper.

Middle, Jimmy Dean sausage, unwrapped and rubbed with a rib style rub.

Right, fresh hot bulk sausage from my local butcher. Chopped green and red chili peppers mixed into the sausage and formed.

Right top, smoked Spam.

GEDC0597-1.jpg

GEDC0587.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,
man that looks great. care to share recipe for pepper/garlic "jam"?

Sure... Are you ready...

1. Drive to Fresh Market
2. Walk into the store
3. Go to the aisle with the sauces and marinades.
4. Pick up a jar labeled "Roasted Garlic and Onion Jam"
5. Pay for it.
6. Drive home
7. Microwave some of it to loosen it up
8. Put it on your sausage.

:biggrin:

Ron,

Are those the chicken sausages from Sam's? I've tried several flavors of them and some are pretty modest on the calories and grams of fat.

This was from Fresh Market, but I have also tried a few varieties from Sam's and they are pretty good.

First time having Brats... Pretty tasty. Some spaghetti squash, french onion soup and some garlic stuffed olives smoked with oak. Not very pretty but tasted darn good. Thanks to RTD and BBQ chef for the squash and brat recipes. Mods please use plated pic for submission.

Attachments

• IMGP2726.jpg
    IMGP2726.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMGP2728.jpg
    IMGP2728.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Ok, forgive the photography. This is my first entry. I made up a batch of Texas style Hot Links. First photo, soaking the casings. 2. The casings I used. 3. The secret spice mix. To be continued...

NUTZ

Last edited:
Part 2, 1 & 2 The finished product. 3. Third and last, stuffed with cheese then bacon wrapped, 2 with BBQ sauce and one with my home made sweet-spicy mustard.

NUTZ

Last edited:
Ok, forgive the photography. This is my first entry. I made up a batch of Texas style Hot Links. First photo, soaking the casings. 2. The casings I used. 3. The secret spice mix. To be continued...

NUTZ

OH MAN!! Tell me where you got that tub of casings!!! Too cool. HOLY FARKING CHIT!! I know where my vote's going? That is just beautiful!!

OH MAN!! Tell me where you got that tub of casings!!! Too cool. HOLY FARKING CHIT!! I know where my vote's going? That is just beautiful!!

On line at "The Sausage Maker" www.sausagemaker.com
I like them because they are full length not the little 3 or 4 footers some folks sell. I use lamb casings for hot dogs and they go all the way up to 4 or 4 1/2 inch beef bungs for baloney.

NUTZ

Thanks. I've only made links twice. The first time I used the grinder to stuff!!!:shock: Afterwards. I swore never again. Then I bought a dedicated stuffer............SOOOOOOOOO much easier. But then, Academy stopped selling casings. The only casings I knew were the salt packed ones. They worked for me. My son has been on my arse to make more links. I told myself that making links would be a new tradition for me and my son and daughter for the holidays. This year I want to give some as gifts. Here's my boy and me last year.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54322&highlight=links

Sure...
This was from Fresh Market, but I have also tried a few varieties from Sam's and they are pretty good.

DSC07309.jpg

These are the ones I was talking about, they are fully cooked (I guess the same as a hot dog or bologna) and you just grill until they are 160° or so.​

Man!!!! These all look so good, this is gonna be a real tough one to make.. My mouth is slobbering over the keyboard,, I'm so hungry, I'm gonna go in the Kitchen and make a maple Flavored sausage Pattie and egg on an english muffin,, and it's all your fault... there goes the diet...

1st time participate in this thing called throwdown... I smoked some fatties and ABT's today.

The bacon weave:

100_0019.jpg

Stuffing with peppers and onions:

100_0022.jpg

On the CG:

100_0024.jpg

After 4.5 hours at 225:

100_0025.jpg

Close up:

100_0026.jpg

Plated with home made BBQ sauce:

100_0029.jpg

Please use the plated picture...

I know these pictures don't hold a candle when compared to others, but WTH, at least the fatties taste good...:-D:-D

Wienie Roast at the church tonite gives me an entry into the sausage throwdown with some brats over open fire.
DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1171.jpg

please use the first pic for my entry

WOW!!! Nothing like roasting a dog over wood coals. Simplicity at it absolute VERY BEST!! I'd so HIT THAT:eusa_clap

Back