BBQ Brethren "Sausage" Throwdown

Wienie Roast at the church tonite gives me an entry into the sausage throwdown with some brats over open fire.
DSCN1169.jpg

pease use the first pic for my entry

Oh yeah, nice dog and very nice picture.

That skewer looks like something I can fabricate in the workshop. When you get time, I'd like to see a picture of the entire item.

Holy farkamole! There's some seriously good looking stuff entered in here so far!:shock: I shouldn't have checked this late at night, now I'm hungry.

I just got in from the coast. I just wanted to say that this is the most hunger inducing thread I have seen yet. I was hungry for sausage but I'm out so I'm sitting here munching a country ham sandwich wishing I could taste every plate in this thread.

Chris, there are so many GREAT entries that it is impossible to make a decision -- actually, I could make a decision, but it is always the one that I am looking at last. Also, with sausage, the possibilities are endless. Is it possible to have a weekly sausage throwdown in addition to the other throwdowns? Perhaps we can have a poll on this.

Meatloaf Burgers

Here's my entry from yesterday. It's an excerpt from my site so that will help explain the narrative.:smile:

Yesterday was another bachelor day for me. The wife and kids were out of town for a couple of football games and I was on call for the week end. My thoughts, while at the grocery store that morning, were to smoke a meatloaf. So I bought a small, 1.32#, package of 97% lean ground beef and a couple of 1# rolls of Jimmy Dean regular sausage, with the intent of cooking a meatloaf and a stuffed fatty of some sort.
As luck would have it, I received a call while at the store and had to go to work for a couple of hours to repair a small Internet outage. By the time I got back home, I was HUNGRY and didn't want to take the time to fire up the smoker. My mind was set on meatloaf though. So I mixed about 1/2# of the ground beef with about 1/3# of Jimmy Dean sausage, added some diced onion, one egg, some oatmeal flakes, a dash of worchestershire sauce, sea salt, black pepper and some catsup. The mix was formed into two patties and put on the gas grill with some onion slices covered with EVOO and a dash of black pepper.

%3E

%3E

While these were on the grill, I heated up a small cast iron skillet with some new canola oil and started some tater tots, sliced one of the deli fresh onion rolls I bought at the store and got my plate ready to go. Ya have to remember, I was HUNGRY earlier so I was past that point by now. If I had not been so hungry, I would have toasted or grilled the bun after slicing it. Here are a couple of pictures of the final product. Meatloaf Burger and Tots.

Please use the last photo for my entry.

1st time participate in this thing called throwdown... I smoked some fatties and ABT's today.

Stuffing with peppers and onions:

View attachment 32004

Plated with home made BBQ sauce:

View attachment 32008

Please use the plated picture...

I know these pictures don't hold a candle when compared to others, but WTH, at least the fatties taste good...:-D:-D

How do you like that Valleydale sausage? I have used it a few times. I find that it stays the roundest, with the least effort, of all the brands I've tried. Something about the texture doesn't agree with me. not my favorite, but I like it ok. What do you think of it.

How do you like that Valleydale sausage? I have used it a few times. I find that it stays the roundest, with the least effort, of all the brands I've tried. Something about the texture doesn't agree with me. not my favorite, but I like it ok. What do you think of it.

Agreed, it does hold it's shape better than Jimmy Dean (the only other brand I have tried with fatties), and I like the taste of Jimmy Dean better. However, the grandkids seem to like the Valleydale better. So I switch from one to the other. Next time, it'll be Jimmy Dean sausage going on the smoker...:-D

For the record, I am not a fan of jimmy Deans at all when it's fried. But I think it's my favorite fatty. Besides the fresh stuff from the butcher.

Back