THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a couple of them, they’re good at making meat patties separate after you smash them, as half the patty sticks to the smasher.
Yup..... that's correct - UNLESS you place some parchment paper over the patty ball before smashing. A little trick I found that works great.

FYI - the parchment paper bacon cooking tip in the other Tips-n-Tricks thread is a winner too. :thumb:

What kind of smasher did you buy?

Sunday night I made smash burgers and used the Lodge bacon press. I started out with 80/20 meat and half pound balls. Smashed between two pieces of parchment paper and made ~ 8 inch burgers. I had 6 80/20 and 2 90/10 patties and cooked them on screaming hot 26" Weber with a couple of pieces of mesquite. The 80/20 patties held together perfectly, the 90/10 were wanting to come apart towards the end. The burgers shrunk up a little, but still hung out over a standard size bun by quite a bit.

No complaints and everyone had one to take home.

Robert

I ordered the 2.5lb Vollrath referenced by @dward51 here:

I bought a Volrath "steak weight". It's 2 1/2 pounds and made from very thick stainless. The handle does not bend when you smash hard either. Dishwasher safe also. It's about 3x as thick as a quarter (maybe a little more).

Here is a video of one in use. He is using the lighter 1.5 pound model though. It's also a good video of making a smashburger if you have never made one.

https://youtu.be/bi0weyUt8k0

Photo's of mine:

va8yGYXl.jpg

EYGRukdl.jpg

I always use 80/20 for smashing; the extra fat keeps ‘em juicy even smashed thin & well crusted.

Try using parchment paper in between the press and the burger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great idea. Parchment is a bit pricey so i don't buy it often, but Wax paper should work just as well. I doubt it would be an issue as long as you pull it off the patty once its smashed.

This should definitely solve the small balls issue.:laugh:

That's a great idea. Parchment is a bit pricey so i don't buy it often, but Wax paper should work just as well. I doubt it would be an issue as long as you pull it off the patty once its smashed.

This should definitely solve the small balls issue.:laugh:

Wouldn’t the wax melt if you used it to make smash burgers on your Blackstone. You need to hold pressure for around 10 seconds and the parchment doesn’t only provide non stick, it forces all of the moisture back into the burger.

Wonder if aluminum foil would work.

Place beef ball on griddle or ci skillet and let it start to brown. Then roll it over and smash it. The slightly browned meat won’t stick to spatula or smasher. Also works for sausage smash patties.

Place beef ball on griddle or ci skillet and let it start to brown. Then roll it over and smash it. The slightly browned meat won’t stick to spatula or smasher. Also works for sausage smash patties.

The Idea behind a smash burger is to smash it immediatly, and not touch it. Otherwise, it expels juices. Its the same effect as poking holes in a partially cooked burger.

If I am just cooking smash burgers for swmbo and myself, I use a Victorinox burger spatula. If cooking for a group, I use a vintage Holly Molding Devices burger press and use a 3 oz. disher.

If I am just cooking smash burgers for swmbo and myself, I use a Victorinox burger spatula. If cooking for a group, I use a vintage Holly Molding Devices burger press and use a 3 oz. disher.

English. Do you speak it? I know Victorinox, I have Wondra Knife, before it was renamed to Victorinox.

:mod:

You never disappoint with your comments.... We all like lemons, not just in our eyes... Are you really that dense????

I am glad i never disappoint you. I asked a serious question. And i answered one as well in that post. I was just curious what "swmbo" was. Its not in the English dictionary. Everything else i answered.
Why don't you just ignore my post? You will never see them.

Mod Note:

Enough of this crap! Stop the personal attacks! This is the second warning in this thread!

Can you please just delete this thread before others, or myself get banned? It was my thread after all. Nobody wants to play nice with me. lol

I am glad i never disappoint you. I asked a serious question. And i answered one as well in that post. I was just curious what "swmbo" was. Its not in the English dictionary. Everything else i answered.
Why don't you just ignore my post? You will never see them.

FYSA, It’s an acronym For She Who Must Be Obeyed

Back