Anyone use this patty smasher?

I bought a Volrath "steak weight". It's 2 1/2 pounds and made from very thick stainless. The handle does not bend when you smash hard either. Dishwasher safe also. It's about 3x as thick as a quarter (maybe a little more).

Here is a video of one in use. He is using the lighter 1.5 pound model though. It's also a good video of making a smashburger if you have never made one.

https://youtu.be/bi0weyUt8k0

Photo's of mine:

va8yGYXl.jpg

EYGRukdl.jpg

SIX POUNDS!?!

Good LAWD man, the beef isn’t still alive :laugh:

#nowthatsaburgerpress
Haha. It's definitely overkill but it didn't cost me a cent. I found the 1/2" plate and 1/2" bar stock in a scrap hopper at work. I had a buddy in the maintenance department bend the handle and weld it for me. I just knocked the edges off with a hand grinder.

It looks pretty nice. Is that stainless or aluminum?
I never could find a press I liked so I made my own. 6 pound Smashzilla. Never know when I might want to smash a meatloaf. :mrgreen:

You should try that. Would you smash it enough to make a meatloaf flavored smash burger?

I still have yet to make a smashburger, but have a Lodge cast iron press that I bought just for that.

Ohhhh sorry... I do read words and my tape measure is marked in 1/100ths so yes, I can read a tape marked in 1/100ths and convert to fractions (in my head) for someone that gives me a deer in the headlights look when they have no idea what 21.1875” means...

So to answer your question ?

I’ll guess 3.25 oz...

Do you have a link on where to get that tape measure? I want to get one. I have a Starrett 6” rule that has a 1/100” scale with my machinist stuff, but I never saw a tape measure that has a 1/100” scale.

Pooh,
1 complainer doth not necessitate a change, we're good with what we got.

Secondly, I'm under the impression that the lowly smash burger is just that. You take a 6 oz. ball of ground meat, put it on the flat top and when it starts to sizzle nicely you smash the hell out of it with a spatula of some sort and after it builds a nice crust you flip it and make that side crusty.
Am I wrong?
Ed

Hi All Why do u guys/girls want to smash your burgers?
DanB

The Maillard reaction that creates the tasty crusty bits on the exterior surfaces. Smashing the burger gets a lot more of that than setting the patty on the grill and treating it gently. If cooked "correctly" the burger is still juicy in the middle. It's a preference thing. I'm fine with that, or a thick juicy patty cooked med rare.

Hi All Why do u guys/girls want to smash your burgers?
DanB

The Maillard reaction that creates the tasty crusty bits on the exterior surfaces. Smashing the burger gets a lot more of that than setting the patty on the grill and treating it gently. If cooked "correctly" the burger is still juicy in the middle. It's a preference thing. I'm fine with that, or a thick juicy patty cooked med rare.

For the same reason a lot of people like a little crust on their steak or burnt ends. Those little crusty bits are yummy! Umami is good stuff!

Would you prefer I change resolutions to allow the 12mb uhd res photo from today's phones to upload. Those photos will take up multiple screens where you have to scroll to see it and not see the entire photo on one, not to mention it would suck up people data plans on mobile. Not everyone is unlimited.

Let me know..

I choose answer B.

Back