Anyone use this patty smasher?

Its a framers tape. We measure in 16ths. I am sorry this sites picture attachments resolution hasn't been changed since 1999. The inner diameter is 5 1/2 inches.

That's a new one to me but, then again I couldn't build a decent 'dog house' to save my life and buy mine 'pre-made'.

That burger press looks pretty good for use directly on a hot griddle but, couldn't you just 'stamp out' the patties ahead of time and then put them on the hot Blackstone?

Wondering how many oz balls to smash with this thing. :laugh:

Looking to end up with a few thin patties to be slightly oversized on a standard hamburger bun.

You're not related to Candace are you?

The product that you posted is more of a burger mold than a press. A true press would have a flat surface. For reference, look at the link that you posted and the pictures don't indicate any pressing.

As for the welding on the press handle, "you would think that a company that was wanting to sell the press would post a picture of a product that didn't look like it came out of a high school building trades class.

Also, I have to say, unless your patties had a lot of shrinkage, your buns are not standard size. They appear to be jumbo. And what's up with the over abundance of condiments? "

The above part of the post in quotation marks is my interpretation of the way you post since you showed up here. This 1999 site is a pretty chill place. There are a lot of really good folks here that all share a passion not only barbecue but food and drink in general and readily share there knowledge about those subjects. And if you don't start to chill, I predict your stay will not be long.

Off my box and back to social distancing. This cabin fever might be getting to me.

Last edited:
Mod Note:

Gang... We’re on a edge with everything going on in the world. Let’s try to remember that we are all in this together and treat each other with respect. This thread blew up over night based on one comment, and then spun from there. It has settled down a bit, but please resist the urge to throw fuel on the fire.

That’s a piece of junk and won’t work well for smash burgers.

I just use a spatula, works great

I think it's a descent tool considering the price. I bought one designed by a well known burger channel that has the same type of bottom that was a bit more expensive. Works well. Nice burgers.

Anyway to smash a burger...is alright with me...looks like it did a nice job of it.

I agree the burger to bun ratio..is very important.

I was just looking at something similar the other day - Ballistic Smasher on Craycort's website. They have 4 different sizes; from 3 to 6 oz and I was wondering if it was worth the hassle. I normally weigh out 3-4oz balls, then smash them on a cast iron griddle with a Dexter 6"x5" turner, then set a Lodge cast iron grill press on top of the burger. Decided against it since I kind of like the thin crusty edges I get using my method.

Great looking burgers!:thumb:

The welds (or whatever they are supposed to be) on that burger press look pretty crappy. I wouldn’t expect it to last that long. You may want to get something a little more sturdy.

That is a fractional tape measure. They are available. I have one somewhere. I worked new construction when I was younger and when telling someone else measurements we would say something like five and three quarters long meaning add an 1/8th inch to make it five and seven eights. You could also say six inches short for the same measurement. Apparently this method cuts down in errors from people not being able to call out 1/8” measurements properly.
Z27Euzfo5oy.JPG

Last edited:
Its a framers tape. We measure in 16ths. I am sorry this sites picture attachments resolution hasn't been changed since 1999. The inner diameter is 5 1/2 inches.

Would you prefer I change resolutions to allow the 12mb uhd res photo from today's phones to upload. Those photos will take up multiple screens where you have to scroll to see it and not see the entire photo on one, not to mention it would suck up people data plans on mobile. Not everyone is unlimited.

Let me know..

It looks pretty nice. Is that stainless or aluminum?
I never could find a press I liked so I made my own. 6 pound Smashzilla. Never know when I might want to smash a meatloaf. :mrgreen:

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never could find a press I liked so I made my own. 6 pound Smashzilla. Never know when I might want to smash a meatloaf. :mrgreen:

:rofl:

I use a cast iron bacon press.

Depending on what you have handy, there are a lot of ways to achieve the various results people want.

FWIW, a small Lodge skillet at Wally-World is cheaper than the bacon/hamburger press. An aluminum foiled brick or two will work too! However, if I find a somewhat smooth piece of plate steel, I just might have to make myself one so I can griddle with all the cool kids! :p

Then I might even be able to 'Panini' too! :loco::hail:

Can I have a reference for the fork?:laugh:

Did Blue Rhino have those produced by a high school welding shop class?

Back