Santa Maria pit/grill build complete!! Yahoo!!

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
In April, I started a thread when my wife agreed to a fire pit/Santa Maria grill http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105289

So Landarc gave me some tips and the name of a Landscape designer in my area.

Here is a pic of my original backyard with my thoughts for where the "portable" pit should go

pitlocation2.jpg

So I decided on a 2 foot by 3 foot pit (internal dimensions) that would be 2 feet deep.

Here is the frame for the SM grill. I used 2" angle iron for the frame and 2" channel iron (1" legs) for the upright and cross member.
The lifting axle is 1" rod

Frameonsawhorsewith1inchrod.jpg

I then made the grill out of 1-1/4" square tubing (1/8" thick walls) for the frame and 3/8" stainless steel rods that float in the frame. I have seen too many grills that warp because they are welded in place.
Grillhanger2.jpg

Finishedgrillshowingstainless.jpg

To guide the grill, I used 2 pieces of 1" angle iron welded together with 2" steel plate.

Grillslides.jpg

grillhanger0.jpg

For the wheel, I had Pleasanton Steel bend me up a 1" rod to about 16" diameter. To that I attached 3, 3/4" steel spokes.
WheelinstallledOnsawhorses.jpg

To make the tensioner, I threaded the 1" axle with a 3/4" pipe threader. Then I found (at Home Depot) a Porch swing spring that fit perfectly.
Tensioner.jpg

A little paint and Voila!
Donewheel.jpg

My pit is a nice 24" deep in case I want to do a suckling pig....
It is encased in fire brick and capped with Flagstone

Firepit2.jpg

We also decided to do a Flagstone walkway and seating wall behind the pit.

Firepitandseatingwall.jpg

Here is the finished product without the grill in postion yet.

backyard002-2.jpg

DoneGrilldown.jpg

Woodloaded.jpg

Fireandgrill.jpg

I can turn my grill bright red hot...... no buckling!
Redhotfire.jpg

I cooked a spatchcock chicken and it came out great. Sorry, no pron as I had ribs going on the egg and BBQ beans in the UDS..... and guests!
Thanks for looking! I am really excited that this is finished.

Oh, how does the tensioner work? Does it just add friction or is it attached at the end points?

Party at Marty's!

Looks farking amazing - very impressive work all around! :clap2:

Seeing your skills with wood, there was no doubt in my mind that you would build a superior unit, and you came through. Beautiful, just beautiful, now when's the party :becky:???

Oh, how does the tensioner work? Does it just add friction or is it attached at the end points?
The axle is prevented from sliding horizontally due to a bushing welded to it just on the inner side of the frame. The spring is pushing against the frame, creating friction.
The grill sections weighs about 50lbs, the axle is 1" and the wheel is 16" so 50/16= about 3lbs of force to turn the wheel. So not a lot of friction is required to hold it in place.

Beautiful Marty. Simply beautiful.

This picture is quite nostalgic for me as it reminds me of my grandparent's yard in Redwood City...

backyard002-2.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow! Amazing Marty.

Marty, that is just amazing. Bravo! I know you are really going to enjoy this....

Excellent job, Marty!:thumb:

You did a beautiful job my friend. Way to go!:clap2:

Back