My Restored 20-Year Old Weber Genesis 1000 Grill

Phishwhisperer

Found some matches.
Reaction score
My first new thread! I just finished restoring my ancient Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill and I thought you folks might like to see the results.

The grill was totally rusted out internally. I disassembled and cleaned everything, sanded, primed, and painted with various gloss levels of high-temp paint, depending upon where each piece went. New parts include ss burners, igniter, ceramic-coated cast-iron grates, aftermarket heavy-gauge ss flavorizer bars, and home-made grease catcher. I refinished the wooden parts by sanding, staining, and applying ten coats of spar varnish.

Total cost was right at $200; I figure I now have me a grill that is better than it was when new.

So far, I have cooked rib steaks and a spatchcocked chicken. I'm pretty happy with the results!

Now, on to the UDS build!

Attachments

• IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 328
Wow, I grew up with one of those in my parents back yard.

Nice restore job, looks new.

Very nice resto!!!! :thumb:

This was my dad's last grill.. you could not kill that thing. Beautiful job.

Killer restoration - I'm impressed by the amount of effort I know went into this, but the results are worth it!

My parents have a couple of those at their cottage. They don't look that good but its pretty amazing how well they have held up considering how old they are.

Great job! I too am a happy owner of a 20+ year old genesis. Years ago I upgraded (or so I thought at the time) to a SS Jenn Air. That grill couldn't even compare to the flavor of the old Weber. I recently gave away the Jenn Air to make room in the Smokey row line up for the old Weber again. After a little tlc...new wood, grates, flavorizer bars and some cleaning its back in service. So glad I didn't trash that grill years ago!

Looks great! My father in law has one which he has kept up amazingly well. Any before pics?

Great Job! I also have a 20ish year old genesis. I recently booted my new expensive Jenn Air and brought the old Weber back into the Smokey Row line up. It just needed a little tlc...new wood, grates, flavorizer bars, regulator and a cleaning. No other gasser compares to the flavor of that old grill!

looks great! my first gasser was a RED Genesis, lasted a solid 10 years before any real fixing was needed!

I've since retired from gassing, but i fixed it up and gave it to a friend, he's been using it for the past 4 years now...

Gorgeous! My favorite model of gas grill.

I have one, but it's gone unused since I went "real" a couple years ago.

Very nice job. I have one about that age with the side burner and is still going strong. You have to give Weber credit for building such a sturdy product.

Back