Lump frustrations, need Kamado help.

For all things "lump"...take a look at www.nakedwhiz.com Some of the reviews are a bit old, but you can get a good idea of the differences between brands, as well as some other useful info.
Good luck!

The Naked Whiz website is great for learning about lump. :thumb: I don't have many brands you do in the US but I have found some terrific lump in Canada, one 'go to' being this one. I got it on season clearance for $15 a 20# bag (regular $21/bag). It is very long burning and comes with about 20% of it in big honking pieces, some as large as three of my fists combined and my hands are not woman-dainty, they need a mens large glove. I save the huge pieces for overnight smokes.

I find in my area that the quality of the lump is better in a dedicated BBQ store than at a supermarket or hardware store. The funny thing is, the price is about the same. I can get an amazing 20# bag of lump at a specialty BBQ store for $15 -20 and a 10# bag of regular lump at a hardware or grocery store's about $9 - 10. Does't make sense to buy it at a grocery/hardware store unless it's on sale or clearance. I'd love to make my own lump, one day I will. One of the great things about living in Canada is the majority do not use lump in the winter so I can go to the specialty BBQ stores and stock up on lump about 25% off. I'm still using King lump I bought two winters ago. I got some sugar maple lump then, 20# bag for something like $11. I've been saving it, don't know why, I should use that bag in my next pig leg smoke.

Lump is like a wife. Everyone will have their own opinion as to what is good or not. I have seen some really happy guys married to some really ugly women.

That being said, I burn FOGO and Royal Oak. I give RO the shake test when I buy it. You can hear if it is small or not. I have tried quite a few, and I am happy with FOGO and RO. Most people like what they can find readily at a price point they are willing to pay. I buy the larger bags of RO never the smaller bags.

Not sure I was any help, but I can tell you that asking anyones opinion on lump normally will leave you more confused than before you asked.

Back