THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For all things "lump"...take a look at www.nakedwhiz.com Some of the reviews are a bit old, but you can get a good idea of the differences between brands, as well as some other useful info.
Good luck!

The Naked Whiz website is great for learning about lump. :thumb: I don't have many brands you do in the US but I have found some terrific lump in Canada, one 'go to' being this one. I got it on season clearance for $15 a 20# bag (regular $21/bag). It is very long burning and comes with about 20% of it in big honking pieces, some as large as three of my fists combined and my hands are not woman-dainty, they need a mens large glove. I save the huge pieces for overnight smokes.

I find in my area that the quality of the lump is better in a dedicated BBQ store than at a supermarket or hardware store. The funny thing is, the price is about the same. I can get an amazing 20# bag of lump at a specialty BBQ store for $15 -20 and a 10# bag of regular lump at a hardware or grocery store's about $9 - 10. Does't make sense to buy it at a grocery/hardware store unless it's on sale or clearance. I'd love to make my own lump, one day I will. One of the great things about living in Canada is the majority do not use lump in the winter so I can go to the specialty BBQ stores and stock up on lump about 25% off. I'm still using King lump I bought two winters ago. I got some sugar maple lump then, 20# bag for something like $11. I've been saving it, don't know why, I should use that bag in my next pig leg smoke.

Lump is like a wife. Everyone will have their own opinion as to what is good or not. I have seen some really happy guys married to some really ugly women.

That being said, I burn FOGO and Royal Oak. I give RO the shake test when I buy it. You can hear if it is small or not. I have tried quite a few, and I am happy with FOGO and RO. Most people like what they can find readily at a price point they are willing to pay. I buy the larger bags of RO never the smaller bags.

Not sure I was any help, but I can tell you that asking anyones opinion on lump normally will leave you more confused than before you asked.

Back