YT Skirt Steak???

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Ok…every YT skirt cook I’ve seen does a quick sear out of the bag, cut against grain and they say “it’s so juicy and tender…”. Well, if I don’t jacard the hell out of my SS, it does come out juicy, but it chews like leather. I know the outside skirt is more tender than the inside, but all I can get is inside. So, are they all using outside or are they doing something that I don’t know about? And yes, I’ve tried the citrus marinade,without much success.

I always Jaccard it. Only recently has outside skirt started making an appearance again in stores, but it's not very often that I can find it. The local Mexi-Marts always ask if you want it tenderized.

Ok…every YT skirt cook I’ve seen does a quick sear out of the bag, cut against grain and they say “it’s so juicy and tender…”. Well, if I don’t jacard the hell out of my SS, it does come out juicy, but it chews like leather. I know the outside skirt is more tender than the inside, but all I can get is inside. So, are they all using outside or are they doing something that I don’t know about? And yes, I’ve tried the citrus marinade,without much success.
Darita,

I’m right there with you on the toughness issue. I have never found outside skirt that I am aware of. I asked this question a few years back and someone mentioned adding mashed up Kiwi to your marinade to help promote tenderness. Also, they cautioned not to leave it in the marinade for too long or the meat would turn mushy. So I tried it and can tell you that for me up to 8 hours was not too long and was not mushy. However, in the experiment, I decided to try some for 24 hours and it was for sure mushy.

Search on skirt steak marinade with kiwi for a lot of options.

I know this is appears to be a pain in the arse but if you have it available, sous vide the skirt. I have cooked it overnight at 125-130 and simply seared it before slicing and serving the next day. I've never required tenderizing.

My method wth Inside skirt.

Pound it with meat hammer...smooth side...not so much to flatten but to break fibers. Then Jaccard real well...marinate..and cook to medium. Slice against grain. Comes out very nice.

I'm done with skirt steak, my go-to is sirloin flap. I either marinate it or sous vide for about 4 hours at 135°, then grill finish.

iWM0syJ.jpg

JZMeNDb.jpg

My secret family SS marinade is a bottle of zesty Italian. Marinade it all day if I'm grilling in the evening, or overnight if I'm grilling at lunch. The vinegar will tenderize it ime.

Back