Calf fries (mountain oysters), Catfish n Hushpuppies

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Just an easy outdoor meal... but it's one of my favorites. :)

I dip the cleaned sliced calf fries into an egg/milk bath then roll in cracker crumbs..

002-3-1.jpg

then give the catfish a light coating of cornmeal, flour, kosher salt, cayenne and lemon pepper..

003-5-1.jpg

004-2-1.jpg

made a batch of jalapeno, onion, whole kernal corn hush puppies..

012-3-1.jpg

heated the oil and started frying..

010-3-1.jpg

some of the catfish...

025-3-1.jpg

hushpuppies..

030-3-1.jpg

and calf fries...

032-3-1.jpg

042-2-1.jpg

served with tartar sauce, coctail sauce and cold beer...

045-1.jpg

It was another one of those plateless meals that I love. :-D

Thanks for looking!

My Dad hosts a "Mountain Oyster" cook for a few friends every year,when the time is right for harvesting them.:shocked: Anyone that never tried them is doing a disservice to themselves. One of the finest eats on earth when cooked properly.Yours look PERFECT!:thumb:

Looks great Cowgirl!

I would love to have some of almost all of that lol! Can't get on board with Mountain Oysters, but you even made those look good haha great job!

I want some Catfish now!

Thanks Hoss, Q-Dat and Chris!! I love calf fries. :becky:

Oooh fried catfish... I need to take some time to go fishing soon its been too long!

No plates.....sauce and beer for sides......I luv ya Girl!:cool:

Gotta love that....what ya cookin this weekend? I'm headed through Oklahoma??? :becky:

It all looks great, but I would have to have quite a few beers before I could down a calf frie. I bet its really good, just don't think I can get past the mental angle. I was watching Andrew zimmerman last nite and they had a big ol plate of chicken testicles that looked really good, but I don't know.... Tastes like chicken.

Jeanie,
I've never had the opportunity to try calf fries, but they look fantastic, as do the
catfish and hushpuppies. Just got to get out your way and sample some of your
fantastic food fests!!!

Jeannie, I love your usual offerings but testicles should never be on a dinner table. At least that's what my wife tells me.

Back