This question is a bit off topic...

Higgledy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I want to buy a commercial stainless steel work table to use in my kitchen as an island. There are many options to consider. Can you guys offer me any adivce?
Mostly the expensive options are 14 or 16 gauge. 304 SS or 430 SS. There is a huge price difference in 430 16 gauge table vs 304 14 gauge table. Like double the price. But do I need 304 SS since it will be used indoors? Also how much sturdier is 14 over 16? I can see where having the heaviest table possible will provide the sturdiest, most useable work surface. Any thoughts?

Don't know anything about those tables, but I'd recommend looking for something used. A friend of mine opened a restaurant and bought mostly used equipment to do so and saved well over $10,000. Apparently there's a pretty decent size market for used commercial kitchen stuff.

For what you want to do the 304 in 14 gauge will work just fine. I've worked in restaurant kitchens and that's what we used too.

And good tip on used also. There's plenty of restaurant supply houses that sell used if you're near a good sized city look to see if there's one near you.

You can go online and Google "Online kitchen equipment auctions".

Also beware, some commercial tables have galvanized legs and/or galvanized shelf.

Keep in mind;

304 contains 18% chromium and 8% nickel

430 is similar, contains 16% chromium, 2% molybdenum, but only a fraction of the nickel content, which makes it more affordable.

Try to get John Boos if you can. Also how it is shipped is important. Our church ordered regency tables from Webstraunt and they came in all dinged up. FedEx shipped them. The bottom shelf is important too. Make sure it is stainless as well. That is going to run the price up though.

Try to get John Boos if you can. Also how it is shipped is important. Our church ordered regency tables from Webstraunt and they came in all dinged up. FedEx shipped them. The bottom shelf is important too. Make sure it is stainless as well. That is going to run the price up though.

But well worth getting!

Back