THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1990dtgl98

Hey guys, I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but looking to upgrade from my UDS and wanted to see what options I should look at with pellet smokers.

I kinda want to change because we have a 14 month old and a 2nd on the way, and I don't get much time after work anymore to smoke things like I used to on the UDS. I don't really want to mess with charcoal and getting everything setup and going for more toddler friendly stuff (short chicken/pork/etc cooks, vs overnight shoulder/brisket cooks). So I kinda figured I'd go with something I could esentially set and "forget" in a sense.

I'd like something that would mianly be used for shorter cool things that I could smoke (fish, pork chops, mac&cheese, chicken, etc.) but that could also work well for the long weekend brisket/shoulder/ribs cooks.

I wanted to try to get something with as much smoke flavor as possible, and don't need anything crazy hot (I'll still use my Weber charcoal for burgers/hot dogs/quick chicken breasts).

What's out there for 600ish? I really like the GMG Jim Bowie, and can get them locally for around 650, but wanted to see if any others produced better smoke or were more constant/well built for the same price.

Hey guys, I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but looking to upgrade from my UDS and wanted to see what options I should look at with pellet smokers.

I kinda want to change because we have a 14 month old and a 2nd on the way, and I don't get much time after work anymore to smoke things like I used to on the UDS. I don't really want to mess with charcoal and getting everything setup and going for more toddler friendly stuff (short chicken/pork/etc cooks, vs overnight shoulder/brisket cooks). So I kinda figured I'd go with something I could esentially set and "forget" in a sense.

I'd like something that would mianly be used for shorter cool things that I could smoke (fish, pork chops, mac&cheese, chicken, etc.) but that could also work well for the long weekend brisket/shoulder/ribs cooks.

I wanted to try to get something with as much smoke flavor as possible, and don't need anything crazy hot (I'll still use my Weber charcoal for burgers/hot dogs/quick chicken breasts).

What's out there for 600ish? I really like the GMG Jim Bowie, and can get them locally for around 650, but wanted to see if any others produced better smoke or were more constant/well built for the same price.

There’s a lot of Pellet Grills out there for $600.00 and less... Often times, you get what you pay for... and once in awhile You can strike Gold. FYI.. I’m not affiliated with any Pellet Grill Company.. It always pays to do your research and ask the right questions. There’s quite a few Pellet Grill Companies that have pellet grills in your price range. The Brickseek.com link and the PB Copperhead 5 deal is great and worth searching. Another great deal and new pellet grill from Pit Boss is the Pro Series 1100 Pellet Grills at Lowe’s Home Improvement Stores... https://m.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-1100-sq-in-Black-Pellet-Grill/1000601257
For $599.00, You get 1100 square inches of grilling space, Heavy duty construction, a 35 lbs pellet hopper and a 5 year warranty. Check out the link and read the entire page for it’s specs and video. I think it’s the best bang for your buck pellet grill for its size and features that you can buy. You want to strike Gold? Check out the PB Pro Series 1100 for $599 or the Pro Series 820 for $499.00... Good luck with your choice.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Also consider the Camp Chef Smoke Pro. A $600 unit will include an easy to clean ash cup and a door to empty the pellets out of the hopper. Do some research on the Jim Bowie. The Daniel Boone gets really good reviews, not so much for the Jim Bowie. The JB is a bit larger, an that may have something to do with the difference.

Until recently I only had a kamado, but I got a drum and the Copperhead. I really like what the drum offers so I wouldn't necessarily say that getting a pellet grill is an upgrade.

Brickseek shows that you can pick the Copperhead up for $200 at a Walmart nearby. I would suggest grabbing that thing and trying it out a couple of times. If you are not satisfied then you can return it. If it convinces you that you are a pellet fan then you have a large capacity smoker for cheap.

There’s a lot of Pellet Grills out there for $600.00 and less... Often times, you get what you pay for... and once in awhile You can strike Gold. FYI.. I’m not affiliated with any Pellet Grill Company.. It always pays to do your research and ask the right questions. There’s quite a few Pellet Grill Companies that have pellet grills in your price range. The Brickseek.com link and the PB Copperhead 5 deal is great and worth searching. Another great deal and new pellet grill from Pit Boss is the Pro Series 1100 Pellet Grills at Lowe’s Home Improvement Stores... https://m.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-1100-sq-in-Black-Pellet-Grill/1000601257
For $599.00, You get 1100 square inches of grilling space, Heavy duty construction, a 35 lbs pellet hopper and a 5 year warranty. Check out the link and read the entire page for it’s specs and video. I think it’s the best bang for your buck pellet grill for its size and features that you can buy. You want to strike Gold? Check out the PB Pro Series 1100 for $599 or the Pro Series 820 for $499.00... Good luck with your choice.

These look nice and if you open a new Lowe’s CC they give you $100 towards your first purchase of $600 or more that drops the Pro XL to five bills. You could also get the 820 add a cover and some pellets to get the $100 off.

I’m not trying to knock Grilla Grills or the Silverbac grill, nor GMG Grills and the Daniel Boone pellet grill, both companies put out some very good products .. but comparing Apples to apples and pellet grills to pellet grills from what the OP stated and $$ limit of $600.00, I think the PB Pro Series 1100 is the better deal. It has almost twice the grilling space compared to both, 1100 sq. Inches of grilling space, almost twice the pellet hopper size, heavy duty construction, a 5 year warranty for the PB Pro Series 1100 compared to a 4 year warranty for the Silverbac and 692 sq inches of grilling space and 2 year warranty for the GMG D.B. and 458 sq inches of grilling space. The Silverbac’s price is $699.00 on their website, the PB Pro Series 1100 is $600.00 plus $100.00 off if you apply and use the Lowe’s CC, your cost before taxes is just $500.00. The GMG DB is $499.00 on their website. That’s a possible savings of $200.00 compared to the Silverbac. Again, I think Grilla Grills and GMG Grills both makes some very nice pellet grills, but comparing grills to grills and having seen all 3, for the cost savings, size, construction and the 5 year warranty, which is one of the best warranties in the industry , the PB Pro Series 1100 comes out on top. Everyone is open to their own choices, so I understand. No argument or debate... Just comparing pellet grills to pellet grills. It always pays to research everything you can when it comes to spending your hard earned money... and it’s even better to get a first hand look and inspection when possible.

Last edited:
I’m not trying to knock Grilla Grills or the Silverbac grill, nor GMG Grills and the Daniel Boone pellet grill, both companies put out some very good products .. but comparing Apples to apples and pellet grills to pellet grills from what the OP stated and $$ limit of $600.00, I think the PB Pro Series 1100 is the better deal. It has almost twice the grilling space compared to both, 1100 sq. Inches of grilling space, almost twice the pellet hopper size, heavy duty construction, a 5 year warranty for the PB Pro Series 1100 compared to a 4 year warranty for the Silverbac and 692 sq inches of grilling space and 2 years warranty for the GMG D.B. and 458 sq inches of grilling space. The Silverbac’s price is $699.00 on their website, the PB Pro Series 1100 is $600.00 plus $100.00 off if you apply and use the Lowe’s CC, your cost before taxes is just $500.00. The GMG DB is $499.00 on their website. That’s a possible savings of $200.00 compared to the Silverbac. Again, I think Grilla Grills and GMG Grills both makes some very nice pellet grills, but comparing grills to grills and having seen all 3, for the cost savings, size, construction and the 5 year warranty, which one of the best warranties in the industry , the PB Pro Series 1100 comes out on top. Everyone is open to their own choices, so I understand. No argument or debate... Just comparing pellet grills to pellet grills. It always pays to research everything you can when it comes to spending your hard earned money... and it’s even better to get a first hand look and inspection when possible.

I think people refuse to give pitboss a chance because they are sold in bigbox stores so they think they are junk.

I’m not trying to knock Grilla Grills or the Silverbac grill, nor GMG Grills and the Daniel Boone pellet grill, both companies put out some very good products .. but comparing Apples to apples and pellet grills to pellet grills from what the OP stated and $$ limit of $600.00, I think the PB Pro Series 1100 is the better deal. It has almost twice the grilling space compared to both, 1100 sq. Inches of grilling space, almost twice the pellet hopper size, heavy duty construction, a 5 year warranty for the PB Pro Series 1100 compared to a 4 year warranty for the Silverbac and 692 sq inches of grilling space and 2 years warranty for the GMG D.B. and 458 sq inches of grilling space. The Silverbac’s price is $699.00 on their website, the PB Pro Series 1100 is $600.00 plus $100.00 off if you apply and use the Lowe’s CC, your cost before taxes is just $500.00. The GMG DB is $499.00 on their website. That’s a possible savings of $200.00 compared to the Silverbac. Again, I think Grilla Grills and GMG Grills both makes some very nice pellet grills, but comparing grills to grills and having seen all 3, for the cost savings, size, construction and the 5 year warranty, which one of the best warranties in the industry , the PB Pro Series 1100 comes out on top. Everyone is open to their own choices, so I understand. No argument or debate... Just comparing pellet grills to pellet grills. It always pays to research everything you can when it comes to spending your hard earned money... and it’s even better to get a first hand look and inspection when possible.

I did a lot of research and I can tell you I disagree. I’ve heard the PID sorry and decided they aren’t that great and the lack of delivery to home etc kill it. My Silverbac has been a lot better than I expected. Granted I didn’t try the PelletPro but I don’t think this is anywhere near a blow out. I’m happy to go head to head with anyone who's got a pellet pro around here.

I think people refuse to give pitboss a chance because they are sold in bigbox stores so they think they are junk.

That probably true in some cases, that’s why it’s so important for potential pellet grill buyers to do their research. The PB Pro Series Pellet Grills are sold at Lowe’s Home Improvement stores exclusively. Pit Boss Grills are made by Dansons which also makes the Louisiana brand Pellet Grills and they’re great pellet grills too. That 5 year warranty says that they stand behind their products... On a side note for potential first time pellet grill owners, it’s so important to read and follow the instructions in the owners manual of whatever Pellet Grill brand you buy. There’s a learning curve. Don’t get your instructions off of info commercials on TV. .02

That probably true in some cases, that’s why it’s so important for potential pellet grill buyers to do their research. The PB Pro Series Pellet Grills are sold at Lowe’s Home Improvement stores exclusively. Pit Boss Grills are made by Dansons which also makes the Louisiana brand Pellet Grills and they’re great pellet grills too. That 5 year warranty says that they stand behind their products... On a side note for potential first time pellet grill owners, it’s so important to read and follow the instructions in the owners manual of whatever Pellet Grill brand you buy. There’s a learning curve. Don’t get your instructions off of info commercials on TV. .02

Valid point. I have 2. 1 has a multi step startup and shutdown. The other you just start by setting your temp and shutdown with 1 button.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Another feature that Pit Boss pellets have is a direct flame zone that makes it a grill and an indirect smoker. They all have FZ from the Tailgater up to AustinXL. The Pro Series at Lowe’s have a thicker porcelain cast iron grate that is different than the standard models at WM. They also include a front shelf as standard. Last I checked a Silverback, as good as it is, is $749 and the shelf is extra so it’s not close to $600. So, considering all the standard features, the sizes, cost, availability, ease of purchase and warranty, The S.R.S Bozo Button goes to the PB PS 820 and XL from Lowe’s.

Another feature that Pit Boss pellets have is a direct flame zone that makes it a grill and an indirect smoker. They all have FZ from the Tailgater up to AustinXL. The Pro Series at Lowe’s have a thicker porcelain cast iron grate that is different than the standard models at WM. They also include a front shelf as standard. Last I checked a Silverback, as good as it is, is $749 and the shelf is extra so it’s not close to $600. So, considering all the standard features, the sizes, cost, availability, ease of purchase and warranty, The S.R.S Bozo Button goes to the PB PS 820 and XL from Lowe’s.
I got my Silverbac on Black Friday. It was the Original not V2 for $600 delivered with two bags of pellets to boot.

Back