Anyone use this patty smasher?

Also, i read some of you mentioning the welds. The pictures on lowes site show one with not so great welds, but the one i bought the welds seem fine.

Attachments

• 2020-03-29.jpg
    2020-03-29.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 244
Where I work, for a 4 oz. burger Ball, we just put the piece of wax paper on it and use the spatula on top to smash it down.

I guess what peaked my interest was the 1/2 inch rim to prevent "over" smashing.

It works great if #1 your balls are big enough. :laugh: #2 Use a coarse grind. I used a finer grind from the grocery store and it was on the sticky/pastie side so it wanted to stay on the press longer.

Disagree. This is by far my favorite tape measure thread on this site.

Agreed! I actually bought a tape measure from a recommendation on this thread.
I wonder how many patty smashers were bought as a result of this thread?

We should start a poll on the tape measure to patty smasher purchase ratios as a result of this thread :mrgreen:

Worked pretty good for me. I am sorry $13 is way above your price range.

source.gif

I still have yet to make a smashburger, but have a Lodge cast iron press that I bought just for that.

I have a couple of them, they’re good at making meat patties separate after you smash them, as half the patty sticks to the smasher.

Now they’re good at making sure the papers they sit on don’t blow away, and I’ve been trying not to bend my thin stainless spatula smashing patties with it that I should only be using it to flip.

That Vollrath smasher has me intrigued.

Last edited:
I have a couple of them, they’re good at making meat patties separate after you smash them, as half the patty sticks to the smasher.

Now they’re good at making sure the papers they sit on don’t blow away, and I’ve been trying not to bend my thin stainless spatula smashing patties with it that I should only be using it to flip.

I use a thinner spatula to smash mine, but use an old meat tenderizer to push down on the top of the spatula above the burger while smashing them. Keeps it from bending and seems to work well enough for me

I use a thinner spatula to smash mine, but use an old meat tenderizer to push down on the top of the spatula above the burger while smashing them. Keeps it from bending and seems to work well enough for me

I’ve been doing it that way (pushing down on the spatula) with a fairly thick scraper; it gets the job done, but it’s still more of a workaround than a solution.

Given that I have 4 smashburger lovers at home now, I’ve ordered the Vollrath jobbie pictured earlier, hopefully it glides off them the way my spatula does (like in the video).

Try using parchment paper in between the press and the burger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, what a mess. So very simple......from this post forward, keep it on topic: patty smasher/food related. And, to be honest, we do expect more and better from you long time members. So, you have been warned. Keep it OT or do not visit and reply.

Bob

What they said.

Not that my opinion matters but I've been here for awhile. I don't come around much and this is the reason.

Some folks know me and others will say so long and I'm ok with that as well.

Don't take this forum down the road others have gone and crashed. More than one way to skin a cat as they say but sometimes, we forget, and sometimes we learn.

Agreed! I actually bought a tape measure from a recommendation on this thread.
I wonder how many patty smashers were bought as a result of this thread?

We should start a poll on the tape measure to patty smasher purchase ratios as a result of this thread :mrgreen:

Add me to the “bought a patty smasher as a result of this thread” count.

I probably dissuaded a few folks from buying the Lodge smasher, though I have other Lodge products that I think are great. There’s likely a trick to getting the cast-iron smashers to not stick that I haven’t discovered.

I use (2) 2.5oz balls of beef and melt a slice of American processed cheese-like substance between them.

I probably dissuaded a few folks from buying the Lodge smasher, though I have other Lodge products that I think are great. There’s likely a trick to getting the cast-iron smashers to not stick that I haven’t discovered.

I use (2) 2.5oz balls of beef and melt a slice of American processed cheese-like substance between them.

Put parchment paper on top of the burger before smashing it.

Here is a video of the guy who started smash burger demonstrating this method. https://youtu.be/kBHZBTXDBW4

What kind of smasher did you buy?

Sunday night I made smash burgers and used the Lodge bacon press. I started out with 80/20 meat and half pound balls. Smashed between two pieces of parchment paper and made ~ 8 inch burgers. I had 6 80/20 and 2 90/10 patties and cooked them on screaming hot 26" Weber with a couple of pieces of mesquite. The 80/20 patties held together perfectly, the 90/10 were wanting to come apart towards the end. The burgers shrunk up a little, but still hung out over a standard size bun by quite a bit.

No complaints and everyone had one to take home.

Robert

Back