Looking for a little variety

Daggs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
As the title says, I have about 13# of fresh picked asparagus from the weekend and I'm looking to see what everyone does with it or how they prepare it.

9# have been vacuum packed.
Making bacon wrapped asparagus tonight!

I may be the odd man out here but I like my asparagus uncooked raw. I just peel the base with a carrot or Potato peeler and eat.

toss with olive oil, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, grill til it starts to char. Mmmmm....

You could also send some my way :-D

End result of the bacon wrapped asparagus and dinner:
Along with grilled chicken baked potato rounds and wild rice

I throw it in a gallon zip lock with a quarter bottle or so of Italian dressing. Let it marinade for a few hours and grill it up. Mmmm mmmm!

I like to toss asparagus with a little olive oil and garlic. Then grill it with a little smoke. Don't over do it, I like them "tender crisp". I always make extra and toss it in the freezer to make a quick smoky cream of asparagus soup.

I like to toss asparagus with a little olive oil and garlic. Then grill it with a little smoke. Don't over do it, I like them "tender crisp". I always make extra and toss it in the freezer to make a quick smoky cream of asparagus soup.

Love cream of asparagus soup, I can't make it worth a darn though:sad:

+1 on the olive oil with salt & pepper. Simple and delicious!

I tend to put it in a tin foil pouch with garlic infused evoo and sprinkle in some celery salt. Then slap it on the grill for a few minutes then flip and go a few more minutes.

Saute with 3-4 whole, smashed garlic cloves, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Redneck Escargot:

Stuff baby Portobello mushrooms with chopped asparagus. Cover with fresh parmesan reggiano. Grill till bubbly.

Wrap stuffed shrooms in sourdough bread (think French dip) and dip in garlic butter.

Damn. I now know what's for supper.

Brush with olive oil and sprinkle Cajun spice o'er it. Broil till the stalks are toasty - a little crunchy. Guaranteed to delight.

I don't have any exact recipes, I usually wing soups for the most part. I'd saute some onions and garlic, dash of salt and pepper. Once they are half way done throw in some 3/4" chopped asparagus, and a cup or two of chicken broth, let that steam/cook till tender. Lower the heat, maybe add some butter, then add some milk or cream of your choice, maybe some Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, Salt and pepper to liking, a dash or two of some thyme or rosemary might not hurt. Let that warm, (not boil), then if you have one of those immersion blender wands, blend it all up too the consistence of your liking. Or leave them whole maybe add some potatoes and bacon and have a more rustic soup.

Back