aerodynamic brisket trim...for a drum?

Nuco59

Babbling Farker
Was trimming up a 14# last weekend. Followed lots of trimming videos - I get bored sometimes. I started and finished this one just like dozens before it. Got it to looking nice and wing-like with flowing curves and all.

I have never really wondered before - but I did then: I cook on a UDS. If that hunk of meat is laying flat on a grate- fire underneath- and vent up high, was I wasting my time? No matter how much trimming- wouldn't it have all the aerodynamics of a 2x10 - as seen from the wide side?

I can absolutely see sacrificing the flats super thin end bit- it will turn hard and dried out.

But the rest of the sculpting?

I have an LSG offset and I never bother trimming for aerodynamics. I trim the fat how I want and cook. I can’t imagine aerodynamics really making much of a difference.

I always thought the word aerodynamic with respect to a brisket referred to trimming off loose tags, trimming the thin end of the flat, trimming the mohawk and hump, and eliminating any square corners or square edges that might dry out or burn. Pretty much the same thing you did.

I usually get some pooling of liquid at some time during the cook so I might put a little chunk of flavor wood under it.

I always thought the word aerodynamic with respect to a brisket referred to trimming off loose tags, trimming the thin end of the flat, trimming the mohawk and hump, and eliminating any square corners or square edges that might dry out or burn. Pretty much the same thing you did.

I usually get some pooling of liquid at some time during the cook so I might put a little chunk of flavor wood under it.

this sums it up perfectly. I trim bbq so I don't have little burnt up ends that won't be good in the end.

I dont feel its a waste because i typically just throw some of the larger trimmings on and eat them as a snack during the cook. sometimes I'll use brisket trim and make a burger for my cooks snack.

this sums it up perfectly. I trim bbq so I don't have little burnt up ends that won't be good in the end.

I dont feel its a waste because i typically just throw some of the larger trimmings on and eat them as a snack during the cook. sometimes I'll use brisket trim and make a burger for my cooks snack.

There ya go ^^^^ :clap2:....sometimes all this technical gobble dee gook aero this and that is a bunch of horse hockey that they spread on youtube and the rest of the internet.

Put the meat in your smoker minus whatever fat you don't want and the thin pieces and let her rip.

You'll be good to go. How do you think the first guy ever came up with the words "burnt ends"?

Last edited:
Put the meat in your smoker minus whatever fat you don't want and let her rip.

You'll be good to go. How do you think the first guy ever came up with the words "burnt ends"?

My Grandfather who was the first Briskateer in my family, and who barbecued brisket because it was probably $0.50/lb., did minimal trimming on the fat cap.

The burnt end story I favor is that BEs or 'brownies' were cutting table scraps that were handed out to patrons in line, or maybe saved up for a few days and sold as a low priced lunch special.

The burnt end story I favor is that BEs or 'brownies' were cutting table scraps that were handed out to patrons in line,

That's what I read about how burnt ends got started at one of the most popular BBQ joints in Texas. Little did they know....

Why the hell does a piece of meat need to be aerodynamic, unless you plan on screwing it up so badly you are going to throw it to a pack of coyotes over the fence?
I am starting to get SirPorkAlots disgust with youtube, Those guys follow each other around like baby ducks behind their mommy.

If your briskies aren’t aerodynamie when they go on yer pooper you’re doing it wrong!

I’d about bet some farkin youtuber said that at some point. Aerodynamics has nothing to do with smokin’ meat. If it did, a pork butt in a foil pan wouldn’t get any smoke sitting in my pellet grill.

Aside from being “aerodynamic” with respect to cooking in an offset smoker, normalizing the peaks and valleys helps make sure nothing gets burnt/crispy and helps with slicing and presentation of the end result.

Plus, if you hang your brisket in your drum, it can still be “aerodynamic” :becky:

The "big boys" have a quest for consistency unmatched. Same trim, same season, same cook temps, same cooker- usually. The want a brisket in 2018 identical taste-texture-appearance to briskets today and forward. Most all trimmings are used for sausage, burgers and tallow. Assembly Line cooking.

Sometimes I make it sleek, sometimes I'm minimalist trimmed, sometimes I open the cryo and go

Regardless, it's usually edible, but I don't have the same goals as the celebrities

Like others mentioned i trim off anything that is thin or will burn. Then I take the fat down to where i can render it. To me that naturally gives an aerodynamic sort of shape if i make clean cuts and do a good job. To each their own but i've had pretty good luck with this. Not a scrap is wasted either plenty of good uses for brisket trim.

Ditto. Just made meat sticks with my trimmings

Back