Help! Should I make this change to Chris Lilly's Prime Rib recipe?

umyaya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm attempting to make Chris Lilly's Prime Rib from his Big Bob Gibson's book. It calls for inserting slices of garlic butter into the top of the roast. His recipe is low and slow the whole way. I'm thinking about finishing it on high heat instead. Any opinion on whether I will burn the butter and ruin it? Should I just stick to the recipe or can I get away with trying to brown it at the end?

I've never tried Chris' prime rib recipe, but the first time I do any recipe i do it by the book. Then i mass with it if I want to do it again. But.... the butter will probably be long gone after the low and slow cook, so you probably would be OK.

For those that have not read this technique, the butter is actually garlic herb butter that has been rolled and chilled in wax paper... then sliced after it has firmed up. (just like the herb butter that some fancy steak houses serve atop their steaks). Pieces are inserted into slits in the top of the roast, much like you stud one with slivers of garlic.

I think you should give it a go. I cook my standing rib roasts at low temps, and since they almost never need turning, any butter that is not absorbed into the meat will rise to the surface during cooking, and actually will supply some additional proteins needed for the Maillard reaction. (another popular way to force the reaction is to baste with a corn syrup/butter mixture)

Let us know what you decide to do.

Yup Yup, what them other Brethren said,, cept don't forget to take and post some pron of the whole affair, ty....

Next question. If I use high heat at the end, should I just crank the FEC100 as high as it will go or should I fire up my FE pelletcooker so I can brown it over some serious heat?

Chris' recipe ought to be OK. I'd try it as is and then modify according to your tastes. If you've ever met him, he's a super guy. He invited me into his comp pit a few years ago, introduced me to everybody and invited me for some ribs and liquid "refreshments" during Memphis in May just because I told him I was from Decatur and really missed Big Bob's. Just nothing in this city that compares.
Now that I know the brethren though, I realize that his courtesy and genorosity are the norm rather than the exception!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Please, stick with anyone's recipe first. Then experiment. If the recipe fails you won't know who the bigger dumb azz is, you or the chef. If it's great, you STILL don't know who to thank or even if it is better.

Remember the guy that made my Soulbread on here but thought it was too dry. Not the guy that did the actual recipe CONVERSION of my Soulbread, but the one who read his recipe version of MY version. Then when we found out he was using Martha Whites and 2% Milk.

I get this all the time with my "Nutter Butter Naner Pudder."

I use HEAT and SERVE with a MILK and Cream combo - VANILLA Pudding and real Nutter Butters. Then someone don't like it when they make it with BANANA Flavored INSTANT pudding with SKIM milk and Generic cookies? WTF?

I think that temp/timing will ultimately make my decision. I assume that it will take roughly 3 hours for a 3 rib roast at 250. If all of the sides are ready and it doesn't seem like it will be ready in time, I think that I'll crank the heat. Otherwise, I think that I should just stick with Chris Lilly's recipe. You gotta love him for asking Meredith Vieira on the Today Show if is she is a wet girl or dry girl. Of course, he then handed her dry Memphis style ribs.

wow.... what a plan. nothing could go wrong there.

Next question. If I use high heat at the end, should I just crank the FEC100 as high as it will go or should I fire up my FE pelletcooker so I can brown it over some serious heat?

I think that temp/timing will ultimately make my decision. I assume that it will take roughly 3 hours for a 3 rib roast at 250. If all of the sides are ready and it doesn't seem like it will be ready in time, I think that I'll crank the heat. Otherwise, I think that I should just stick with Chris Lilly's recipe. You gotta love him for asking Meredith Vieira on the Today Show if is she is a wet girl or dry girl. Of course, he then handed her dry Memphis style ribs.

I think you're wise to size up the color and the internal temp during the cook ..... and use whatever is needed to give you the result you want. Remember you are not really cooking a prime rib, you are just warming it up to about 125°. :biggrin:

6b0f19bd.jpg

Cable thermometers are really handy on these kind of roasts, if at all possible leave the probe in during the cutting board rest time so no juices escape. If you have to remove it, shove a potato nail or something in it to plug the hole. I've even made a few probe hole plugs for just that purpose.

DSC08380aa-1.jpg

I have used a crisp up step at the end for better eye appeal, but sometimes I have ramped the pit temp down during the final hour if I need to slow the cook down to match my sit down time.

I like to use about 9 oz of gilroy's jar garlic as a crust. get that garlic nice n toasty. a nice cucumber dip finishes it off.

Gilroy was here.

At the 2 hour and 45 minute mark, the temp was 115. I knew my crowd wanted it more in the 130 range. So, I decided to crank the FEC100 up to 400 to expedite the finish. It was the best prime rib that I've ever had. Thanks to all for the advice.

I was too busy with company to take a photo but maybe I can get a decent shot of the leftovers tomorrow! Do you reheat leftovers on the grill?

Hehee. I was hoping you were going to like the outcome. It wouldn't have done any good to say this earlier, but now that you have figured it out, ..... a prime rib is about the easiest thing to barbecue there is, isn't it?

The hardest thing sometimes is paying that high price per pound. :biggrin:

I'm glad that it came out great! Since you are cooking in an FEC, you should try Stuart's (the President of Cookshack) Prime Rib method.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3621020264/m/3971034983

He has two methods, one that calls for a high temp sear at the beginning of the cook. I've never bothered with that. The original instructions are also written for the Cookshack electric smokers, but I talked to Stuart at the Fast Eddy class last year and he does his in the FEC most of the time. Basically he cooks the prime rib at 250 until it is about 125 internal and then set the FEC to hold at 140 and holds the roast in the FEC at 140 for at least four hours. This really lets the juices circulate and distribute the flavor throughout the roast. The result is fantastic!

Back