This year's Brisket source thread

Capn Kev

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So,

We've all had some good source discussions over the past couple of years, but the market has changed. Where are you (or do you recommend) buying your briskets from? I've heard the "hot beef market" arguments for increasing prices, but frankly, I refuse to spend more than $5.50/lb. (including shipping).

SRF/SR Wagyus produced some good results last year for us, but I'll be the first to say that a good aged "choice" grade from Sam's earned me some high quality walks last year as well. We finished 2nd in the RMBBQA standings for the year in brisket, and only used Wagyu about 30% of the time.

What are your thoughts?? Let the banter begin.

Kev

Going to be an interesting year for sure. We got lucky and got a couple a cases of primes a couple of months ago in a whim. Then we heard it might be the last of them for our area for quite some time.
We did get one of the Sam's Club "Waygu Style" briskets and it was decent. Don't know how their supply is this year, but it's the cheapest option I've seen...at least for shipping to Ohio.

Show off. Are you boys coming to Westmont? I got a fresh bottle of Silver...:grin:

Brandt Beef

One of our sponsors, Endicott Meats has Brandt Prime Brisket 16-19 #. For $4.65 pound plus shipping, cooked one two weeks ago and was great, and it won The Jack in 2009.

CAB Choice, have used nothing but. I guess I will really find out Saturday.

CAB Prime $2.62# this week for 5 cases. Waygu last year for 2nd half of year. Side by side off season comparisons brought me to primes.

Nothing wrong with the final quality of CABs, the way we prep them in competition but their geometry isn't consistent. What I like about SRF is the consistent thick flats - sometimes the flats in available CAB packers get really thin and non-symmetrical.

SRF is now north of six bucks a pound though and shows no sign of falling.

My CAB brisket was 1st at the Jack in 2007. Since I've had to switch to Creekstone, they've given me more 1st's in brisket than CAB. (well, when they're not rotten).. Unless you've learned how to cook a brisket, no choice, prime or wagyu is gonna help you get a call.

Creekstone's website lets you order a brisket for $80 with shipping included. It's a good source if you can't find a good one locally.

You can win with choice brisket. We have. Wagu is just a little more forgiving.

Show off. Are you boys coming to Westmont? I got a fresh bottle of Silver...:grin:

No Westmont this year. New job and another baby on the way so this will be a light year for us. Not that we really do that many anyways.

I’m not sold on the Waygu just yet. Until this past weekend I’ve only turned in CAB choice briskets. I cooked a 14 lb choice from Sam’s and a 14 lb Waygu side by side. I had more slices to choose from with the waygu and I felt like the burnt ends were better, but I couldn’t really tell a difference in taste\tenderness from the slices.

So do guys find the flat is much better with the higher grades (and priced)? I have seen much better results in the point with higher grade cuts, but not sure if the flats follow suite given the long cook and the amount of rendering. Or perhaps hot and fast would better take advantage of the better marbling in the flat?

My CAB brisket was 1st at the Jack in 2007. Since I've had to switch to Creekstone, they've given me more 1st's in brisket than CAB. (well, when they're not rotten).. Unless you've learned how to cook a brisket, no choice, prime or wagyu is gonna help you get a call.

Creekstone's website lets you order a brisket for $80 with shipping included. It's a good source if you can't find a good one locally.

Hell, if it works for Podge that's good for me.

Back