Thermometer choices- Tel-Tru

Rubbydubby

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Lack of local choices has placed the search online were I learned of the Tel-Tru therms. I like the 3" models and I'm currently deciding on (2) of their models. One is the BQ300 (glow,black,white) and the other is the GT300R an Industrial model w/calibration feature. Both are priced closely however they differ on temp range, calibration, dial design etc. Any owners of Tel-Tru therms? Reliability? Need of calibration feature?

WSM, lid mount with incl kit and drilled with 7/8 unibit. Perhaps overkill for the WSM but I'd like to own a nice therm that will last. Thanks for the help and guidance!

http://www.teltru.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=16&product_id=351U02FBAKLAAAA
BQ300 - 100/500°F
BQgroup.jpg

http://www.teltru.com/cart/detail.asp?subcat=43&product_id=341002&temprange=68
GT300R - 50/550°F
BackLG_subcat38.jpg

I've got this one mounted in my dome.

I like the stubby 2 1/2" stem length. Any longer and the probe would get in the way of the meat inside my WSM.

I hate that Tel Tru doesn't make a calibrating model in the short stem length and the right temp range.

It is a little expensive, but it's built to last. All the same, I'm not going to buy another one for my next WSM. Here's what I'm doing instead:

I use a TruTemp instant read thermometer that reads up to 550F. They're hard to find, but one of the food service houses in LA sells them for less than $4 a piece. Excellent quality, calibrates and cheap. I insert this thermometer through the body of the WSM with these stainless eyelets from BBQ Guru.

I'm more concerned about grate temp.

All the same, I'm not going to buy another one for my next WSM. Here's what I'm doing instead:

I use a TruTemp instant read thermometer that reads up to 550F. They're hard to find, but one of the food service houses in LA sells them for less than $4 a piece. Excellent quality, calibrates and cheap. I insert this thermometer through the body of the WSM with these stainless eyelets from BBQ Guru.

I'm more concerned about grate temp.

Just curious, how do you insulate the stem from the heat rising around the outer edge of the water bowl? It would seem that the heat rising up through that 1-1/2" gap would heat the stem and give false readings for grate temps.

That being said, I have had this one (also made by Tel-Tru) mounted in the dome for several years and it still reads within 6 degrees. The silicone "cork" is really handy since you don't have to drill a big 7/8" hole for it. Just big enough for the stem to fit through (I used 11/64" bit) then slide the "cork" onto the stem from inside the dome.

I've used a couple of them for a couple years and I like them. Take a look at Ashcroft thermos too.

Just curious, how do you insulate the stem from the heat rising around the outer edge of the water bowl? It would seem that the heat rising up through that 1-1/2" gap would heat the stem and give false readings for grate temps.

I don't insulate the stem, and just accept that there's gonna be disagreement between my dome thermo and the grate thermo. The big mental hurdle for me was "which thermometer do I trust?" Do I take an average? Do I give preference to one over the other?

I've come to accept with my WSM (it's beat up and leaky) is that there's lots of hot air currents convecting inside it, which causes the temp variance. That's not the case with my Komodo Kamado, and no doubt, your mileage may vary with your equipment. The grate and the dome thermometers on my WSM seldom ever agree except for the times when the vents are only cracked open a tiny bit, and there's very little airflow ripping around the inside the cooker.

Because of these inherent vagaries, I use The Force a little and weigh other, less tangible factors than the dial on the thermometer. How the fire is behaving, in other words, colors how I interpret the grate thermo. These are some of the factors I think about:

1) How are the vents set, and how much airflow do I need to hold the cooker at my target temp given the weather / humidity?
2) How's the wind affecting my cooker?
3) How much meat is inside the cooker, and is it still chilled?
4) How much fuel / water do I have left in the WSM?
5) Is the meat sizzling like bacon?
6) How's the exhaust smoke smell?
and so on.

You may have been hoping for a simpler reply. Sorry it got all lengthy n' chit.

My Lang came with Tel-Tru thermometers, and they have held up wonderfully over the past three years. Would buy them again anytime.

I am waiting for a TelTru LT225R for my UDS.
Found it in the Food Service section.
It has a 12" stem so it should (I hope) give me a good reading of the center of the grate. I called and asked where the sensor part was and it is in the last three inches.
Just waitin' now.

Back