Tel-Tru Glow Dial Thermo

I have something similiar and you can see it pretty well for the most part. But I always carry a flashlight out to check anyway.

I have something similiar and you can see it pretty well for the most part. But I always carry a flashlight out to check anyway.

How about during the daytime? If you could do it over, would you go with the glow dial or just a regular black or white one? I need to buy 3 of these and appreciate your feedback. I currently have one with a white background, and it works great.

I have the 5" glow model myself. It works pretty good at night. If you load it up with a flashlight by holding the light up to it for awhile it will shine brightly for at least a half an hour. It does show up nice and easy to read when a flashlight is shined on it from a distance too. I'd buy it again.

I am waiting for my Tru Tel this week. Got one with a 12" stem so I can get the temp at grate level in the center of the UDS.

I am waiting for my Tru Tel this week. Got one with a 12" stem so I can get the temp at grate level in the center of the UDS.
Whoooooa what's that set ya back?:shock:

How about puting a 'twist lock' of some sort on it so you can quickly remove it to pull the fuel basket out? I know you already thought of this you crazy building fool you. :razz:

I have a 3" and a 5" Glow dial.... I love them. Eric and Todd have them too, I think? (maybe Todd's is just reg.?) I can see it from 3 stories up in the kitchen down to the driveway at my buddy's place. Much more conducive for beer fridge. :)

KY, it is not permanently mounted. I am making a little u-shaped bracket for the inside of the drum so the stem will go through the drum, then through the bracket for support so it stays horizontal. Plus my UDS is the one with no bottom, so I lift it off to get to the ashes. Cost is $23 plus shipping.

A 3" dial w/ 4" stem is $31.75 in white and the Glow in the Dark version is $45...

Are you sure you aren't looking at something else? That money seems pretty cheap, unless you are looking at a 2" dial with a 2.5" stem or something....

Link Please!!!

So those are the meat probe thermometers.... that makes more sense. We were talking about the one that Brew linked to originally. Tel-Tru sell that one for $49.95 - www.kck.com sells that one for $45, and I believe kck.com sells the one you got for $18.95/each.

Those work well too, and can be left in the pit if needed.

That is a spot checking thermometer, not for hard mounting, thus the cost difference.

So my main concern and question is can it be used to check on the temp at center grate of a UDS for the entire cook?

I did not want a hard mount that went in 12" anyway. I always wanted one I could remove. Even with the tube mod on my UDS, I did not want something sticking out there 12".

I will let you all know how it works when I get it.

Will definitely read temp. Should hold up within reason. I would not over temp. It has a spring in it and is smaller than the larger ones. the higher cost of bigger ones is most likely machining cost and material not quality.

I use a swedgelok fitting to mount mine in drums. Supports itself. Here is a poor pic, will see if I can find better one.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Back