Replacing WSM 18.5 thermometer with Tel-tru

wrinklenuts

Knows what a fatty is.
Howdy. I'm planning on replacing my crappy stock thermometer with a Tel-tru. Does anyone know what size of Tel-tru will fit the 18.5 WSM? Unfortunately my WSM is pre 2014 so I don't have the side silicon grommet so I can't use a digital thermometer at the grate. Thanks guys!

I wouldn't bother to do that

I would suggest a Maverick 732 or equivalent.

You can cut a 1/8" - 3/16" slot in the top of the cook chamber down to the level of the top grate for prob wires. It's much more convenient than the rubber grommet & will give accurate temps at grate level.

Pretty EZ to do. Drill a hole at the bottom of the slot & use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel (or a hacksaw) for the straight cuts. Mask both side of the cook chamber when doing this.

61be3ee1ba25158f78b6e027873dbcd9_zpsab93538d.jpg

I wonder if 2 thermoworks Dot wires would fit in 1 grommet or if I would need two?

Each one of the fore mentioned kits contains two grommets. Like I said I haven't installed yet was supposed to this weekend. I hope I'm not disappointed since both probes that come from BBQ Guru have bends.

When i used mine i just ran the probe and placed lid on top. Never caused a problem for me

I do that with my meat thermometer. I think it would be a pain in the butt to have another wire in there but maybe not. I sure wish I had the silicone gasket. I wonder how much a new middle section would cost?

I do that with my meat thermometer. I think it would be a pain in the butt to have another wire in there but maybe not. I sure wish I had the silicone gasket. I wonder how much a new middle section would cost?

You won't need to buy a new mid section. Just drill through the middle section (make sure you don't lay the midsection down and press on it hard or you run the risk of the mid section going out of round) and install the grommets. I know you can buy the grommets from the internets relatively cheaply. Hopefully one of hte brethren has a link for them.

EDIT: Found a link on amazon. [ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Replacement-Grommet-Mountain-Cookers/dp/B0131L1P8A"]Amazon.com : Weber #85037 Replacement Grommet for Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

You won't need to buy a new mid section. Just drill through the middle section (make sure you don't lay the midsection down and press on it hard or you run the risk of the mid section going out of round) and install the grommets. I know you can buy the grommets from the internets relatively cheaply. Hopefully one of hte brethren has a link for them.

EDIT: Found a link on amazon. Amazon.com : Weber #85037 Replacement Grommet for Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I wonder how big the hole needs to be.

fwiw - I have grommets in my 18.5 & they are a hassle. I cut a slot in the top of the cook chamber and taped over the grommets.

I have the factory silicone thingy in my 14.5 & never use it because it's a pita. I cut a slot in the top of the cook chamber.

A slot makes things so much more convenient & costs nothing.

fwiw - I have grommets in my 18.5 & they are a hassle. I cut a slot in the top of the cook chamber and taped over the grommets.

I have the factory silicone thingy in my 14.5 & never use it because it's a pita. I cut a slot in the top of the cook chamber.

A slot makes things so much more convenient & costs nothing.

Really. I'm really surprised that the factory silicone thing is a pain.

Back