What happens if you cook a tri tip like a brisket? Ever tried?

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1886617 said:
Here is the bottom line to me. We all need to help each other and learn and share our failures and success's. I do not think anyone was personally attacking your knowledge of character.

If you felt I was, I do apologize and hope we can continue to hang out here without any problems. Good luck with all that meat and do post up some of your cooks for the holidays.

MS,

Don't confuse argumentitive with questioning or debate. IMO, both are healthy when intelligently presented, and are what make great threads.

It's all good....Hopefully the Tri Tip is also:thumb:

Happy Holidays!

Only the government in CA considers a tri ti cooked on a grill BBQ. And, only politicians in CA believe a tri tip cooked to 130 internal is BBQ. Everyone else in the country knows that's just grilling. But, in some places in CA Happy Meals are known to cause cancer too. So, there you go.

Seriously though, cook one like a brisket and let us know how it goes. You just may start a new trend called BBQ tri tip for the other 49 states.

Only the government in CA considers a tri ti cooked on a grill BBQ. And, only politicians in CA believe a tri tip cooked to 130 internal is BBQ. Everyone else in the country knows that's just grilling. But, in some places in CA Happy Meals are known to cause cancer too. So, there you go.

We don't consider Tri-Tip BBQ, you are yet another fountain of misinformation :heh:

Hey, I'm only going by all the "BBQs" I have been invited to around the San Deigo area and one my son attended recently. He was invited to "a BBQ" and they served grilled tri tip.

So, my information is good as usual, Mr. Groundhog. What do you know about CA anyway?

Hey, I'm only going by all the "BBQs" I have been invited to around the San Deigo area and one my son attended recently. He was invited to "a BBQ" and they served grilled tri tip.

So, my information is good as usual, Mr. Groundhog. What do you know about CA anyway?

A BBQ can refer to a function, as well as a classification of food...look it up. And if you aren't happy with the BBQ's you've been invited to, I suggest you find a new group of people to hang out with :becky:

A BBQ can refer to a function, as well as a classification of food...look it up. And if you aren't happy with the BBQ's you've been invited to, I suggest you find a new group of people to hang out with :becky:

In CA that's what a BBQ is. But, I am always open to attending a real BBQ where ever it is. My next trip to CA will probably be in San Franciso. So, I will keep an eye out for one.

Hey Torta,
Thanks for the thread. i chuckled at the begining, But BEFORE posting, I read it through.
Living here on the East Coast, no one knows what a Tri-Tip is. I've discovered it and I consider myself the pied piper of Tri-Tip.
That being said, some interesting points about cooking TT's. I'll try doing the low and slow. But not a degree past 130. My TT's done hot are as tender as a filet, but with WOW flavor. :thumb:

Hey Torta,
Thanks for the thread. i chuckled at the begining, But BEFORE posting, I read it through.
Living here on the East Coast, no one knows what a Tri-Tip is. I've discovered it and I consider myself the pied piper of Tri-Tip.
That being said, some interesting points about cooking TT's. I'll try doing the low and slow. But not a degree past 130. My TT's done hot are as tender as a filet, but with WOW flavor. :thumb:

Is that All American Burger Joint still on Merrick Road?

Is it about the same or has it changed?

Dude, your attitude sucks

Tri Tip is a fatty cut of meat, as is Brisket. Ever tried cooking a tri tip like a brisket? Will tri tip soften up like a brisket?

Rereading your post, you still sound like a total newbie asking a serious question.

Next time EXPLAIN yourself a little more clearly and you wont have to waste your evening responding to us "asshats" that have been around the pit a couple million times and who are trying to "help" you.

Looking forward to seeing your sliced boot. :thumb: and dont you dare take it off a degree less than 190.

In CA that's what a BBQ is. But, I am always open to attending a real BBQ where ever it is. My next trip to CA will probably be in San Franciso. So, I will keep an eye out for one.

I've lived in CA for 12 years, and that's not what BBQ is for everyone. If you keep it up with the negative attitude, we may not allow you to come back :becky:

Hey Torta,

You are very welcome. Sounds like you may be testing this out before me. If it comes out great, make sure you give me the credit.:thumb: If it sucks, blame Landarc. :doh::doh::doh:

Torta, I've cooked Tri-Tips low and slow with good results, although I prefer reverse searing and smoking the meat during the indirect phase. Depending on how large the tri-tip is, that could be anywhere from 30-60 mins or more. Once the Tri reaches 110-120, I give it a good sear. This to me produces the best of both worlds. I get a noticeable smoke flavor as well as smoke ring, but the outer part of the meat has that wonderful crust you can only get with direct heat. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do hope it helps.

You can see an example here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120640

Torta, I've cooked Tri-Tips low and slow with good results, although I prefer reverse searing and smoking the meat during the indirect phase. Depending on how large the tri-tip is, that could be anywhere from 30-60 mins or more. Once the Tri reaches 110-120, I give it a good sear. This to me produces the best of both worlds. I get a noticeable smoke flavor as well as smoke ring, but the outer part of the meat has that wonderful crust you can only get with direct heat. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I do hope it helps.

^Yeah, what he said.

Thanks Moose.

The way you just described it is the way I normally cook it. In fact, just had a defrosted one for dinner this evening.

I'm still interested in seeing what happens during a longer cook, lower temp, no sear.

Could be ruining a good steak to turn it soft....but experimentation is half the fun.

Thanks Moose.

The way you just described it is the way I normally cook it. In fact, just had a defrosted one for dinner this evening.

I'm still interested in seeing what happens during a longer cook, lower temp, no sear.

Could be ruining a good steak to turn it soft....but experimentation is half the fun.

As long as you pull it when it reaches 120 degrees or so, you should be in good shape. Were you planning on using any wood for smoke during the cook?

I am supposed to be making my woman happy, but, I gotta say, quit being so danged cranky. Yes, like many folks all over the world, BBQ is often called that when folks are cooking anything over a fire of any source. Just the way it is.

Yes, in CA, folks do call it Santa Maria Style BBQ tri-tip. If it works for you, then great, if not, then great. I think the pissing and moaning takes away from both the forum and the learning experience. Tortaboy and I have ended up on different sides of the coin several times, but, some on, if he wants to try cooking a tri-tip just like a brisket, let him and hopefully he will post the results. I already know how it worked out for me, but, he might do something diffferent and teach us all something.

Or not. But, to be honest, there are a lot of folks that think BBQ is all about the sauce, others that think it can come from a crockpot, really? It isn't bbq cause it was cooked over a direct fire to medium rare? As all of you know me, if a Brethren is coming into NorCal, there is a spot at my table at Phat Matt's for any of you. Bo, that means you too.

Back