Midland (Freakin'), TX in August!!!

smokeypig

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My daughters (12 & 14) are hoping to be playing the ASA National Fastpitch tournament in Midland, TX the first week in August. If they earn the right to go, we'll be heading out there (1200 freaking miles for a week of softball in 100+ degree weather, I must be farkin out of my mind!!!!!). anybody been there or know of good food in the area (25-30 miles around)?

smokeypig said:
My daughters (12 & 14) are hoping to be playing the ASA National Fastpitch tournament in Midland, TX the first week in August. If they earn the right to go, we'll be heading out there (1200 freaking miles for a week of softball in 100+ degree weather, I must be farkin out of my mind!!!!!). anybody been there or know of good food in the area (25-30 miles around)?

It's a dry heat.

:)

Never been there.

Hey - 5lombardies? You used to hang out there didn't you?

Drive from Dallas to Midland is very entertaining. :roll: Also take plenty of sunscreen and water.

smokeypig said:

Have a cousin out there. I'll check with her and see what she has to say.

Finally got the info you requested. If you enjoy Tex-mex Abuelo's is pretty good, Abuelos.com if you want to check out the menu. Let me know if there are any other questions and I'll pass them along.

Anyway, as for food. Johnny's bar b que on South Big Spring Drive is good. They cater for many events around here. I think I've heard that KC's bar b que is also really good. Mexican food-Abuelos on North Garfield. Italian food-I prefer Carinos on the loop close to the movie theater. A lot of people like Luigis. It is also on North Big Spring, not far from Johnny's. Some people have talked about the Garlic Press. It is pricey. I haven't tried it. I'm into food, not presentation. Feed me, I'm a real Texan. Keep your stupid lettuce leaves from North Korea. They probably don't grow lettuce in North Korea, but you get the idea. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jorge said:
Finally got the info you requested. If you enjoy Tex-mex Abuelo's is pretty good, Abuelos.com if you want to check out the menu. Let me know if there are any other questions and I'll pass them along.

Jorge - thanks for the info. My daughter's team won the berth and we're going out there July 31. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go, but the wife and children will be. I've passed the info along. hopefully I can go and, on my return, give a georgian's view on west texas barbecue (maybe some tex-mex too. possibly a dissertation on tequila as well :lol: ).

again, my thanks....

stu

Anytime. Talked to my cousin last night, and told her you described it as FREAKIN Midland. Her response was, 'Well, Ah (instead of I) call it Hillbilly Hell'.

Just noticed that you are from Marietta. Small world, have a cousin there too. Let the smartasses run wild with that one.

My wife's family lived there for a few years -- been there about 10 times. BFE. For restaurants, the in-laws swear by Luigi's (Italian), which is downtown. Also they have a Cattlemen's steak place downtown too.

Funny - when my wife's family lived there, her sisters were big into soccer, and they were always travelling to out-of-town soccer tourneys (everywhere BUT Midland). Now it seems the world has flipped and people are going TO Midland!

Just noticed that you are from Marietta. Small world, have a cousin there too. Let the smartasses run wild with that one.

Did you all get kicked out of Arkansas? :twisted:

spoon said:
Funny - when my wife's family lived there, her sisters were big into soccer, and they were always travelling to out-of-town soccer tourneys (everywhere BUT Midland). Now it seems the world has flipped and people are going TO Midland!

trust me when I say i'd rather not go. nothin against texas or midland/odessa but i'm in school, my kids all start school the following week, my wife insists on driving there, and just don't wanna go! (can ya hear the whining?).

in reality, these kids are playing ASA (amateur softball association) fastpitch. each year, there are tournaments held in late july/early august to determine national rankings, where each team plays in a regional qualifier, to actually earn the right to play at nationals. each age group (10U, 12U, 14U, etc) play in their own qualifiers and national tournaments. each of the nationals are in different cities, changing every year. last year the 12U national tournament was almost in my backyard here in marietta. this year, they're in moline, il. so it varies year to year.

but i really don't want to drive there. :roll:

I'm sorry i didn't catch this post earlier...i guess i need to check the Road Trip forum a little more often. the only decent BBQ places that i was ever able to find were KD's right off on I-20 in Midland. i think the intersecting street/road is called the garden city highway. the only one that i halfway liked in Odessa, (12 miles away) was called Jack Jordan's...and it's located on John Ben Sheppard Blvd.; just south of University Drive.

Just a reminder to those that aren't used to directions in Texas -- for example: San Antonio to Austin isn't 70 miles! It's about an hour! :D

Don't get excited if a good eatin' place is 35 or 40 miles away -- it'll be worth the drive.

Any yes, it's a DRY heat -- suck the moisture right outcha!

Also, Midland is NOT BFE!! You gotta go thru BFE to get to Midland! :twisted:

I'm a San Angelo alumni myself -- Goodfellow AFB, '73. :D

Back