THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tango Joe

is Blowin Smoke!
Spending quality time here on the BBQ Brethren site one reads about great cookers and sees photos of fine smoking machines posted by proud new owners. For me it all started about a year ago I reckon, when I began to see these Shirley Smokers poppin’ up more and more.

Of course, reading the great reviews and seeing the great pics of what the Shirley guys were producing it dawned on me that one of these fine works of iron art would be awesome to own and cook on.

Fast forward a few months when I finally reached out to Paul over at SF and got the wheels turning. Hashed out what I was looking for and send in a deposit.

This is when patience is certainly a virtue. I was still checking out The Brethren forum, from the Throwdowns to Competition Page & of course Q-Talk. As happens, more and more threads started to surface of newly arrived Shirley Cookers finding there way to points all over the country - fun to read all the posts and view the great pictures. Looking great form coast to coast.

Heck - I tortured myself even more by checking out the SF facebook page - and seeing all new cookers rolling down the line.

Then it happened! I received a photo and a note from Paul. Tyler had started on the insulated firebox! Excellent - our cooker was online!

Everything started to come together and as the pics kept showing up the anticipation was really building. After sandblasting it looked great.

Then the cooker is all shiny and ready to roll

With cool custom tags!

A couple of months after getting the order in comes the road trip down to Alabama, and after 1,100 miles I get to finally meet up with Paul and the crew. Even try out the Tuscaloosa Toe!

Hook the Shirley 24 X 65 Cabinet style to the truck and head back 1.100 miles back to Long Island - just a short trip to get this baby into the yard and start to season it up!

After rolling the beast all the way home and into the back yard ahead of impending blizzard Iola all I had time to do is get this thing tarped ahead of the snow fall.

So, the Shirley Cabinet Cooker as now been in the yard for a week, A WEEK! There is a nice path dug all the way over to where it is parked and I have wood and food ready to go! I will say one thing, patience may be a virtue, but it is a hard won virtue indeed!

Today’s snow had better freakin’ end soon and give me this weekend to raise some smoke.

Superbly stoked to have a Shirley Cooker in the yard - Thanks guys, this is a work of art!

Congrats on the new cooker. With the snow, you have plenty of time to think of a name for her. I couldn't quite talk myself into that drive to buy one and the last one I shipped here cost me almost as much in shipping as the smoker. I would love to see some pics of the inside.

Anticipation!! Hang in there, it will be better weather in a month or two. Now you see why I live in the South. I did live in NYC for a while back in the 80's. Never again! However the area around Utica and in the mountains are great and beautiful! Congrats on a great looking smoker!

Omar

That thing is beautiful! I watched the video on FB several times. Congrats! Sucks to have the weather holding you back. We have family on Long Island. The pictures they are sending us are awesome. I will probably never see that much snow in my lifetime.

Thanks everyone, another day down and another day closer to inauguration by fire.
Looks all is a go for this weekend, a 48 hour reprieve before the next round on Monday.
Will have the cameras at the ready!

I feel your pain, but really only in a conceptual way. It's hard for me to really know how you're feeling when I'm sitting down here in 76 degree weather with a cold beer and a hot pit.
Sorry, that was wrong of me...

I feel your pain, but really only in a conceptual way. It's hard for me to really know how you're feeling when I'm sitting down here in 76 degree weather with a cold beer and a hot pit.
Sorry, that was wrong of me...

That's just not right! You beat me to it:tsk:

Beautiful pit Joe, congratulations!! Paul and Tyler do amazing work.
I enjoyed your video on Paul's FB page. Looked like you have that Alabama toe point down! :thumb:

Lookin' forward to seeing the pit in action!

Back