BBQ Brethren "I'd Hit That!" Throwdown

I was having a hard time deciding where to go with this throwdown entry. I have been inspired numerous times on this website so I started taking a look at the threads I replied to when I first found this site. If anyone has inspired me with their delectable dishes it has to be Cowgirl. She takes stuff to a whole other level. I remember seeing some grilled fish tacos she made that looked farktastic...http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90760.

So here is my attempt at some fish tacos.

Picked up a nice filet of sea bass. Lightly seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of pasilla chile powder.

054-3.jpg

Cooked on my offset at 350 with a little peach wood.

059-2.jpg

My wife made some homemade flour tortillas.

057-2.jpg

And yes the tortillas had some of this....

056-2.jpg

Served with some salsa fresca which had some fresh lemon juice in it.

073-5.jpg

And plated with some good ol' fashioned mac and cheese. Please use this pic Mr. Byte.

071-3.jpg

These came out great. The fish was tender and tasty. Thanks to Cowgirl for the inspiration.

Man o man.....

Work's been keeping me busy as a one legged man in an arse kickin contest so I haven't been able to log on much here, and BOY have I missed a lot with THIS TD!!!!

All these entries look great! Great inspirations to be inspired for sure!!!

This last entry though......homemade torillas, smoked fish tacos?!
I just ate, but......DAYUM.....I'm hungry again.

Hopefully the weekend will enable me to play on this one. Heaven knows there's no shortage of inspiration here!!!

Great job everyone!!!:clap2:

I`d sure hit those tacos. you can`t go wrong making one of Cowgirls dishes when I first saw your post and the picture of the fish and Cowgilrs name I instantly thought of how she cooked fish and rice in her dishwasher and thought "Oh he isn`t going there is he" good looking fish taco!

Someone else who is man enough to say what he really feels and not afraid of public ridicule! Good for you, Al!

Zero club members live for public ridicule! This thread makes it ok to be a bbq slut and hit them all. Of course you need like a 20 minute break in between hits.

Hey Zydecopaws and MilitantSquatter

Y'all provided the inspiration for this dish. Paul for his suicide meatball, and Vinny for his Italian Meatball recipe - which we modified a bit. Been wanting to do meatballs on the kettle for awhile now. We started with 3 lbs of ground sirloin and turkey (1 1/2 to 1 approximately), three eggs, two cups breadcrumbs dried, one cup fresh breadcrumbs, 1 tbs kosher salt, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 3 tbs dried Italian seasoning, three tbs minced garlic and a small onion minced. We also marinated some giant button mushrooms in eevo and balsamic vinegar. The meatballs were cooked indirect in the kettle at about 325 using some hickory for a little extra flavor. The shrooms were grilled directly, sliced and mixed in some highly modified Barilla Pasta sauce. Served over angel hair pasta and shredded Asiago with some toasted garlic buns. Here's some pics!

Uniformity - Redhot smooshed up the ingredients and formed the balls

balls.jpg

Out of focus but you get the idea

shrooms

shrooms-1.jpg

Just had to taste one - it was goooooood
waiting.jpg

These were pretty
waitingtoslice.jpg

Prettier still

sliced-1.jpg

Into the sauce
sauce-2.jpg

Redhot's bowl

bowl2.jpg

And mine
bowl.jpg

Can't decide which for the TD yet Chris. The color in Redhot's is probably better though.
Thanks for looking!

Were any meatballs driven to their death in the making of that entry?

Only the sacrificial taster.:becky: Oh, I have to admit Redhot convinced me to do the meatballs instead of the meatloaf I had originally thought of doing, but I really had been wanting to to the balls too so...

Only the sacrificial taster.:becky: Oh, I have to admit Redhot convinced me to do the meatballs instead of the meatloaf I had originally thought of doing, but I really had been wanting to to the balls too so...

Good call on her part. :thumb:

Chris, I noticed that the picture quality was not quite up to standards on my entry. Can you please use this picture instead. I think it is a little bit clearer.

ribs.jpg

Thanks Bob, for bringing this to my attention! :thumb:
Good call! I think that shot looks like it could be a winner.:thumb:

Too bad the raccoon isn't holding the fork.

Good call! I think that shot looks like it could be a winner.:thumb:

Too bad the raccoon isn't holding the fork.

I so wanted that too, but didn't have much to work with. Might just have to cook steak again, just so I can get some good "bites on a fork" shots.

You see, if you had submitted that first, I would have voted for you now. Even thought there is no vote.

Back