THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a cook coming up for my inlays and they want 4, 9 pound butts cooked. Ive only got my WSM right now and I know I can cook 4 on it. My question is, with the digiQ running, would you run the temp probe to the bottom grate and get the temps to 240 or so on that grate? Also, what is the normal variation that you have experienced from the top grate to the bottom in temps? I know the higher you get, the hotter it is, but just how much hotter in your experience?

This is gonna be my first cook with the digiQ and Im wondering about the best place for the temp probe...also, meat probe the one on top or the one on bottom? I also have my maverick that I could use on one level for the meat probe as well.

I don't use the bottom grate, but I do not believe it should be that much of an issue with Butts. I would monitor from the top grate, but would probably rotate the butts during the cook. Instant read therm would be helpful. Good luck.

First of all, you probably can fit all four on the top grate just fine if you prefer. I've smoked whole cases of eight butts before, no problem. If not, I'd put the larger two on top unless using a clay pot base in or in place of the water pan, checking the two on the bottom grate through the door. As for the probe, Harry Soo suggests to temp the edge of the hot zone because the meat temp isn't as much of a factor. Hope you have a good cook.

Hmmm. Never thought about cooking all 4 on top. They would definitely be touching each other and crowded. Maybe I'll try it that way.

For the first hour or two my grates are about 25 degrees apart with the top being the hotter. That is with the water pan in with or without water. After that they even up within 10 degrees. If I was going to cook 4 big butts I would do 2 on each rack for proper air flow. There won't be a nickle's difference in the finished products.

I have an 18.5, I have swapped out the water pan with a clay saucer, I typically find the difference between the upper and lower grates about 10 degrees, with the top grate being the hotter of the 2.

I run my probe through a grommet on the side. It ends up being about 5 inches in.

There won't be much difference between the top and bottom, but the top will be a few degrees hotter. Just put the bigger two butts on the top rack and let it ride. You could also lift and shift by swapping the top grate to the bottom and vice-versa after five hours or so.

My temps on both grates settle out to 10-15 degrees difference on my 22 as others have said. I always have different butts finishing at different times when using both racks since each butt is different. My experience is that most will finish within 30 mins of each other if all close to the same size regardless if on top or bottom. I have had others stall as much an hour or more past the others on either rack.

I try to keep my IQ120 temp probe at least 2 to 3 inches away from the meat on the top rack.

Back