THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does a fella foil the saucer and then put foil over the top? Seems like one layer of foil would be enough. I guess it doesn't hurt anything, but I wonder if it's worth it.
easy cleanup...just remove top layer of foil and replace. That way you just fold up the greasy foil, toss in the garbage and add a fresh sheet for your next cooking session :thumb:

Foil your water pan. Other than that all is normal. The pit needs more cooks on it and it will season right up and be great. Your going in the right direction cook a lot and enjoy :grin:

I may be wrong, but I think the consensus is to use the clay pot instead of the water pan.
Interesting idea, but the consensus here is definitely to use the clay saucer inside the water pan, not instead.

Did anybody actually try to use a clay saucer instead of the water pan?

Check this out.... http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/331105252/p/2 Shows you how it looks in a 18.5
Ok, but here he clay saucer is large enough (16 inch?) to act as lid for the water pan, so it sits right on top of it, instead of inside the pan touching the bottom of the pan.

I bought a 16 1/4 inch clay saucer today for my WSM 22.5" water pan, which sits inside the water pan touching the bottom (I'd like to post a picture, but I can't right now).

Should I have got a 18 1/4 inch clay saucer instead? I think that one would fit into the water pan the same way as shown on that picture for the WSM 18.5".

Any thoughts on the difference between these two possibilities?

Looks like the close fit method would be easier for handling the foil on top.

An 18" would probably be a better fit for a 22 1/2" WSM water pan. The biggest I could find was a 16".

I found an 18" saucer at Armstrong Nursery out here in California. Fit's like a glove. Recently though I've just used an empty pan, works just fine.

I'm still having troubles imagining how a 16" clayer flower pot base looks like when put into the WSM 22.5" water pan and everything is foiled.
This is how I do it. I took these yesterday when I was setting up my 22 1/2" WSM for a cook.

This is the 16" clay flower pot base, with one layer of 18" wide foil, in my 22 1/2" water pan.
mmspicture1h.jpg

I put one layer of 18" foil over the top. Note, it is not wide enough to cover the top of the pan. I leaves 2, small open spaces.
mmspicture2m.jpg

I then put a second layer of 18" foil, perpendicular to the first layer. This covers the open spaces left by the first layer.
mmspicture3m.jpg

As an insurance, I put a 3rd layer of 12" foil, perpendicular to the second layer. This covers the small open areas left by the second layer.
mmspicture4z.jpg

I've never had any drippings touch the flower pot base. Most of the time, I just change the top and middle foil layers. The first (bottom) layer, I've used for several cooks now.

Good luck.

Bob

Back